Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

UK insurance prices

Options
  • 06-03-2007 11:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭

Im moving to england in a few weeks so im getting a few quotes from confused.com

Im 23 with a full licence, no ncb and am only driving since december.

Im currently paying 1100euro with QUinn for a 1.5 323f
    I got quoted in the UK for 1070pounds sterling.

I was under the impression insurance was cheaper in the UK?

They ask do you hold a full UK licence or an EU licence, i put ina n EU licence but have been told that it would be cheaper if I get a UK licence and all i have to do is literally exchange my current Irish for a UK? Is that true?

And if im insured with Quinn, can I drive over in the UK for a while? (obviously i'll ring them before i go, but just want to get a heads up!)

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

shop around, you should get it a lot cheaper than that... Quinn Direct has a UK counterpart no?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It should be a lot cheaper. 17 year olds can get insured for £200 (although that's under a parent's name, still a lot cheaper than what I paid first time round at the age of 23 under my parents).
    And if im insured with Quinn, can I drive over in the UK for a while? (obviously i'll ring them before i go, but just want to get a heads up!)

You've a bit of a grace period I think yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

I was 23 when I moved over there with a 1994 Honda Civic saloon, 1.5l (1 years no claims).
    My first years insurance was around £600 with Tesco.com . But over the years I found that Privilege were the better option and it only went down to below £400.

If you have an address outside of a large city it's a help as they use their postcodes to define higher risk areas.

I never changed my licence from the Irish one.
    And think of the saving in car tax!!! It will be only about £180!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Thats what i thought - it should be way way cheaper, but confused gave me a list of 10 quotes, all in or around 1100 sterling! I was shocked.

I wanted a bigger car but if thats the insuranc eon a 1.5 i dont think so.

And i'll be living in ELmbridge in Surrey, which is a big posh surburban area, so surely it should be cheaper on the insurance again!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,987 ✭✭✭✭Stark

You should contact insurance companies directly. I generally find brokers to be useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Remember also that UK insurance works fairly rigidly according to a published list of insurance groups and not so much on a 'pick a number out of a hat' basis like they do here.

I note from http://www.parkers.co.uk/insurance/Groups/ that a 1.5 Mazda 323 fastback (I assume that is what a 323f is) is classed as group 9 or 11, dependant on the exact model, which is quite high. Maybe they're considered a high theft risk or something?

On the same site you can also list all cars in the same group .. makes for 'interesting' reading with some big surprises in there :) You could quite easily get a larger engined car, as long as you choose it based on insurance group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 markirish22

I was living in surrey on a barracks and was only 600 for first years insurance and was 21 in a 1.9d got the qoute from confused.com though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

You generally can drive abroad for 30 days anywhere in the EU, but you would need to check if Quinn allow this extension as their cover is very basic hence the cheap premium.
    Car Insurance in the UK has been on the increase slowly, think Norwich Union increased their rates around christmas. Pretty soon Insurance here will steady out, it cant keep dropping forever!!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭cujimmy

Your insurance quote over here in UK is based on the following

Your age
    Your driving experience
    Your car group (group 11) 1 being the cheapest
    the value of your car
    your occupation
    where you live
    where the car will be parked ie road /off road/driveway or garage
    Anti theft devices fitted
    who will drive it
    your expected annual mileage

Well quinn are by far the cheapest. They quoted me 900pound on the 323f, compared to 1100 which was the cheapest other quote.

But it really depends on the car (as was pointed out above) rather than the engine size. This is the list of quotes i got:

- 323f 1997 £900
    Mazda 6 2litre £1,042
    Alfa 147 -£1,087
    Lexus IS200 2litre 1,268
    01 3 series £1,134
    03 1.6 Vtec Sport Civic - £735

I thought the civic would be more expensive.
    I'll either get the lexus or the civic i think :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Lamps

The civic is cheap, thought that would of been dearer! Suppose its all the grannies drving them about now instead of boy racers!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

try tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

A big contributing factor is the post code, so as someone said, where you live. UK Insurers have a risk weighting system attached to each post code in addition to the factors mentioned by cujimmy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

I know when I go to France with Quinn they cover me for up to 28days and you have to notify them 2 weeks in advance and they will issue you a green form to say your insured there.

Gatster wrote:
    A big contributing factor is the post code, so as someone said, where you live. UK Insurers have a risk weighting system attached to each post code in addition to the factors mentioned by cujimmy.

Ye i know the postcode would be a factor, but i think west surrey would be a cheap postcode due to it not being a city and theres very few scum goin around nicking cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ye i know the postcode would be a factor, but i think west surrey would be a cheap postcode due to it not being a city and theres very few scum goin around nicking cars.
    Yeah, but the area, being quite posh, will have a lot of very expensive cars and being not too far from London there'll be no shortage of scum living not too far away willing and able to steal them.

Advertisement