Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

celebrity fashion

• 06-03-2007 11:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

ive noticed from flickin thru magazines such as glamour and cosmo that celebs includin models have no taste. they mix all sorts of colours like black and brown, and often look like rainbows (and not even nice ones) and i don't just mean a few but all of them caught on camera in the mags.

also its becoming more and more evident that the designers are gay men trying to make women look like boys with the costumes they come up with.

this doesnt help mortals like ourselves when clothes shopping because all thr choicw are yuk! lately

anyone agree???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

I agree, however if they all dressed in nice safe clothes they'd never make it into the magazines. I think a lot of them don't even care whether they're on the best dressed or the worst dressed list, so long as they've been noticed at all. :D There's also an element of "Of course I don't wear practical clothes, I'm a star". They must all have superhuman powers too considering they seem to survive quite well all winter wearing very little. :rolleyes:

You're right about the gay men making women look like boys too. That could be a contributory factor in the size zero phenomenon. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

they mix all sorts of colours like black and brown, and often look like rainbows (and not even nice ones)

That's called individual style though :rolleyes:

Sure, some of them look atrocious but it's all down to individual taste. I read an interesting interveiw with Patricia Field recently. Carrie Bradshaw in SATC became such an icon because PF has never been afraid to experiment. Who said Polka dots and stripes don't mix? Who said blue and green should never be seen? It's all about individuality and boldness, something inherently lacking on Irish people imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

yeah of course i realise it's their own style, that' kinda what im gettin at, iw ould have expected them to have more taste, and yes i know i should let bygones be bygones (ive never written "bygones" before - looks strange!) but you would expect them to look better. just my humble opinion anyway...

The "individual taste" often comes from a stylist they pay to pick their outfits though.

but the point is it's crazy, even some of the hairstlyles. but i cant see how these girls would be considered icons. fair enough it can be they're style but they look terrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

but why would you follow a model's (or any other so called celebrity's) lead when going clothes shopping, anyway???

Seriously...

I mean, does anyone actually take these people seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Miss Fluff wrote:
    That's called individual style though :rolleyes:

Sure, some of them look atrocious but it's all down to individual taste. I read an interesting interveiw with Patricia Field recently. Carrie Bradshaw in SATC became such an icon because PF has never been afraid to experiment. Who said Polka dots and stripes don't mix? Who said blue and green should never be seen? It's all about individuality and boldness, something inherently lacking on Irish people imo.
    Some of the outfits worn by SJP in SATC were great but many of them were awful and if that is what experimentation brings you then I'm happy not to. At times it looked like Carrie was a child who was let loose in a dressing up box and managed to get dressed in the dark.
    Some celebs has great style and wear clothes really well, although it should be remembered this is often with the help of a personal shopper and stylist. Others though like Sienna Miller and Kate Moss and their so called boho chic look like they trawled through my bin to find my cast offs and they are not fashionable, similarly for Victoria Beckham..........style icon my ass.:rolleyes:

galah wrote:
    does anyone actually take these people seriously?

Somebody must, they wouldn't print all those "Get Her Style" type features otherwise. :)

I will admit that if I see something I particularly like (in a picture or on a person walking down the street), then I will try it on if I see it in a shop, and might then buy it if it suits me and fits me well.

galah wrote:
    but why would you follow a model's (or any other so called celebrity's) lead when going clothes shopping, anyway???

Seriously...

I mean, does anyone actually take these people seriously?

the point is that all the clothes shops seem to sell are clothes seen on these people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

meh I constantly mix black and brown. I don't care if anyone else doesn't like it - I don't dress for them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement