Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12cm Case Fans - Opinons?

Options
  • 06-03-2007 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I've finally assembled my P180B build and, I'm proud to say, it's as close to silent as I could have hoped! Well, *almost*...

The noisiest components in the whole build are easily the stock Antec case fans, even when they're at their lowest setting. I've removed the "floor level" fan to allow for cable management and am now only using the rear + top case fans. I'm thinking of replacing them with either the Nexus D12SL-12 or Scythe S-Flex fans...

Does anyone have any opinions / views on these fans? Also, I've everything sitting on an EVGA 680i motherboard; am I correct in assuming I'll be able to control the case fan speeds / thresholds through the BIOS once I have the new case fans actually connected to the board?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

the Sflex fans are very silent, but if you aren't putting them on a fan controller then get the lowest RPM ones you can get, as they don't have a built in RPM controller like the Tri. Also. I'd keep a fan in front of the top HDD bay and lose the top exhaust fan, as its pretty much redundant if you aren't overclocking. I have mine on a switch so that its off while i'm browsing but I turn it on when i'm gaming. As its right at the top of my case and not shielded against noise it is easily the most noticably noisy fan in my system, next to my OCZ 700w fan.

Personally I don't like having my fans connected to my motherboard. I'd rather have a consistant 22dB noise level than a noise level that keeps randomly fluctuating between 17 and 22dB as temperatures rise and fall during the PC's use.

Also when trying to get your PC silent, you should concern yourself with the sones produced rather than the dB's as a low dB clicking noise will be more irritating to the ear than a higher dB turbulence noise, and afaic the noise the sflexs produce is just above white noise, you only really hear the air moving.

Advertisement