Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Polo - Clutch Biting Point

Options
  • 06-03-2007 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

I've had a 99 VW Polo for over a year now and it usually runs fine but I've noticed recently that the biting point is a tad high. It's my first car so I've only started noticing as I test drive other cars.

Last summer the clutch gave out and needed to be replaced. It would seem that the previous owner liked to ride the clutch quite a bit.

It was done under warranty by my local VW dealer and it took ages thanks to the mechanic being awkward and while I initially was worried about the quality of the work it seemed to be fine up until the past few weeks.

The clutch doesn't seem to slip at all, I've tested it on some steep hills and for the most part I don't have a problem getting gear. Sometimes it might crunch a wee bit when I put it in reverse but I'm told this is a synchro thing and it's only occasional.

The actual clutch pedal seems stiffer than it used to too which is weird, it actually gets stiffer after a longish journey (say a trip up the M50). I try to keep my foot off it as much as possible.

Is my clutch/cable/something buggered or should I just accept that oldish cars get a bit crappy as time goes on?

Advertisement