Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ciarán For Equality Officer!

Options
  • 06-03-2007 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Hiya guys, my name's Ciarán McFadden, and as the smarties among you out there may have guessed, I'm running for Equality Officer. Here's part of my interview with The Spoke, basically outlinig why I believe I should get your #1!

Why did you decide to run for your chosen position?
    Out of all positions available, I believe that the role of Equality Officer would be best suited to me. As a member of a minority myself, I know what it feels like to be discriminated against, and I want to do everything I can to make sure noone in NUIM has to go through it. I think there are many unresolved prejudices around the campus, ones that haven’t been making headlines or been mentioned in court, but still affect a lot of people, and I’d like to see them displayed and hopefully resolved.

Can you briefly outline three of your main aims for next year, if elected?

In the role of Equality Officer for NUIMSU, I would like to focus on

a) Students with disabilities: I think there are still many problems facing disabled students with disabilites here in NUIM, including accessibility on various parts of the campus and the use of online learning. If elected I would like to work alongside the Education Officer and the Disability Office to ensure that online services such as Moodle and the Library website can be utilised by students with disabilites to their full advantage.

b) Part time students...we barely hear about them! The part time students add significent numbers to the entire Students Union, and i think that shouldnt go unnoticed. If elected I would like to work on ways to try and incorporate part-time students more into the general day to day social events on campus, and give them more of a chance to interact with full-time students

c) General Predjudices...The ones we dont hear about. We have reached a time where prejudice against age, race, gender, and sexual orientation are outlawed on this campus, but I believe there are still more we have to target. For example, there is a lack of any services for people of faiths other than Christianity on campus. . Other prejudices often encountered but never tackled here are aesthetic such as weight, height, even hair colour! and moralistic such as religion and beliefs.

So, if you want a fair, sympathetic Equality Officer who will do his very best to ensure your peace of mind, vote CIARÁN MC FADDEN!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭FunkyChicken

Give us cola lollies and you got yourself a vote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Give us cola lollies and you got yourself a vote

Funny You should say that!:)

Advertisement