Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

s.t.a.l.k.e.r. game release!

Options
  • 06-03-2007 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭

hey guys
    just decided to check up on the stalker game there, i gave up about a year ago cos it was delayed so much, it looked great at the time mind ya, and just saw that it is released in march 20th

so did any of ye guys hear if they pulled it off and made an exceptional game or did they screw it up BIG TIME!????????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

havent seen any reviews of it yet, never a good sign

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

indeed! i hope they didn't screw it up its a fantastic premise for a game, up thee with bioshock, half life etc...............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kaizersoze123

damn restrictions in work! can't get in to it:mad: , wanna give us a sypnopsis:D :D ?

hasen't been any talk of a 360 or ps3 release as of yet but i'm sure sucess/sales figures will tell...........

just read this on wikipedia there too, shame................

Removed abilities
    Certain elements of the game that people were looking forward to were removed for unknown reasons such as the driving aspect of the game. People were looking forward this because it brought in a new skill that was required to watch petrol and vehicle damage as well as food and drink, they also removed sleep and the ability to manage radiation by drinking Vodka. Moreover, many of these elements were still described as being including in the game from up until February 2007.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Well, it still looks damn nice (cue pic), I like the RPG aspects, and IGN say that its best feature is the atmosphere which I was really looking forward to personally. The remark on Wikipedia about the driving aspect is interesting... it seems a bit ambiguous. Have they removed driving completely, or just features like petrol guages?

xr_screen_01_1024.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

From the vids I've seen, it doesn't look anything hugely impressive graphically but I'm still very interested in this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Eurogamer had a pretty positive preview of it a few weeks ago.

just found a hands-on preview/early review http://chillopy.com/games/?p=8

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

just found a hands-on preview/early review http://chillopy.com/games/?p=8

that's exactly the same as the ign preview posted above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Like loads on here I've been lookin' forward to this since I first read about it way back when. I hope it's managed to stay ahead of the pack and that it can compete with what's come since it's inception. The IGN review bodes well, the SGs look good and I like the thought of an FPS/RPG (deus ex is still unrivalled in that genre IMO)
    Defo gonna have to grab a copy of this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

no widescreen support? what the hell

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

According to the wiki article it has widescreen support.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

Gets a score of 85% in the April edition of PC Zone according to metacritic.com

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

God, 13 days left after waiting so long :F

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Silverfish wrote:
    God, 13 days left after waiting so long :F

Yeah it would break your heart. I just hope it runs on shítty vista!

i hope to god that it runs o.k. on my 9800 pro, 3gig, gig of ram machine........it should in theory considering they haven't changed the engine req in the last couple of years(fingers crossed)............85 in p.c. zone hmmmmmmm not to bad i suppose, was hoping for 90's though.........they haven't been too precise in the past thank god!.....p.c. gamer are normally more accurate in in my opinion.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Only 9 days left... Pre ordered the collectors edition from Play. Hopefully they'll ship it on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

I have the beta and from what ive seen it plays quite badly :S (MP anyway)
    so far from what i have done its like a cross between BF2/CSS in game mechanics which sounds good on paper but when playing it it "feels" weird

PROS:
    • Weather effects are best in any game yet - actually effect your aim and the ambience often makes a nice addition to mp games
    • Weapon buy menu is in-depth diablo style which i like (but will have its fans and haters id imagine)
    • HUGE selection of weapons 11 different pistols 15 assault 2 shotguns 2 heavy and i think 5 sniper rifles all with additional scopes/lasers/diff types of ammo
    • Decent presentation/quick loading times

CONS:
    • The graphics engine is good but the gun/character models are truly terrible like something from soldier of fortune (2000-2001 era)
    • Players have the ability to instantly swap between crouch, prone and stand, over and over again while firing with no delay this must either get patched out or it will be abused in mp games
    • Maps are cluttered and awkward to get around

TBH, if they want this game to become a big hitter in terms of mp it will need a lot of work before it will draw players away from the BF/COD/CS community.

single player on the other hand looks amazing. Its billed as far cry/fear gameplay which looks like a decent amount of thought has gone into. i would like a demo b4 i buy it however :S

further to the above post i have downloaded the beta also, if you have an old enough gaming p.c. like me it will play very smooth on 1040x867 resolution, i have a 9800 pro/512 ram/3 gig pentium processor ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

that's a modest requirement. might pick this one up so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

Nice one, been looking forward to this. Thanks for the article links *reads*.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

read on other forums that they have it on torents already and its not out til friday.....crazy!

Yeah, there were torrents up yesterday.

http://emuse.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/16715 Slightly disturbing trailer for the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

read on other forums that they have it on torents already and its not out til friday.....crazy!
    It's the way stuff works... as soon as the game goes to press, chances are a lightfingered employee will grab a copy and it'll find its way onto the interweb...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

My mate works in a game shop and dropped over a copy for me (I'll be buying him drink for the rest of teh year, no doubt).

This game is f*cking amazing!!! I'm only really at the start, but it looks great, runs smoothly. Seeing the animal AI is brilliant (things like firing warning shots overhead to make wild dogs run off). What impressed me most was when I was talking to a guy right at the start and suddenly this guitar music started playing. I thought it was just the soundtrack, but turned around to see that one of the guys sitting araound a campfire had picked up a guitar and was playing (it's the little things that make me smile :) ).

I haven't been this impressed with a game since Half Life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Excellent news hunanji.

Now I can't wait to play it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

humanji wrote:
    My mate works in a game shop and dropped over a copy for me (I'll be buying him drink for the rest of teh year, no doubt).

This game is f*cking amazing!!! I'm only really at the start, but it looks great, runs smoothly. Seeing the animal AI is brilliant (things like firing warning shots overhead to make wild dogs run off). What impressed me most was when I was talking to a guy right at the start and suddenly this guitar music started playing. I thought it was just the soundtrack, but turned around to see that one of the guys sitting araound a campfire had picked up a guitar and was playing (it's the little things that make me smile :) ).

I haven't been this impressed with a game since Half Life.
    You have the full game?:eek:

What game shop does your mate work in?....

Advertisement