Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

s.t.a.l.k.e.r. game release!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

looking forward to this, a lot. this could easily make up for me not getting a ps3...

we're all going to let each other know when stores start selling? (hopefully before friday!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Great game.
    Great graphics and the AI is brilliant
    Only 10 minutes into the game and Im really liking it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I'm still waiting for Play to ship the limited edition one to me. This is going to be a long week

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You have the full game?:eek:

What game shop does your mate work in?....

I'm not that keen on getting him fired just yet :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

humanji wrote:
    I'm not that keen on getting him fired just yet :D
    I see:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

By & by humanji, what specs are you running STALKER on?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I've waited two years, I can wait a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I have been waiting for this game for YEARS.

Damnit, I'm getting twitchy!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It got a 87% in Pc Gamer
    Its...
    • Enormous
    • Buggy
    • Atmospheric

Its not...
    • The Hype
    • Nearly as buggy as you would expect
    • Monster - Stuffed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

feylya wrote:
    Damnit, I'm getting twitchy!

twitchy?

you have no idea, i've been waiting nearly 3 years for this baby:D :D

intersted to see what specs you guys are playing it at too by the way,..........just remembered actualy, was on www.ign.com the last day checking for a review and there was a streamed video of the gameplay that was released last month and the game play fun factor looked just as much like half life 2it was a scene indoors and could be compared to a combine hl2 fight), if this is the case i can't wait................just as well i picked up a 360 with gears of war to tie me over til friday

I've been waiting since it was announced by in 2004 or whatever it was :eek:

Supposedly it runs well on lower spec machines. Shame about the lack of proper widescreen support though :(

8/10 from CVG
    It may not be all that was originally promised and it has its faults, but S.T.A.L.K.E.R. has still turned out to be a good game.

Uppers
    Brilliant and unique game world
    Very satisfying combat with equally satisfying weapons
    A-Life more than just a gimmick
    Cool and sometimes weird horror moments

Downers
    Story struggles to make itself heard, poor characterisation
    Interface issues

I'm on a GeForce 7800 GS, 2gig of Ram and a AMD Athlon(tm) 64. It runs fairly perfectly for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I will have this game in a few hours so I will let you guys know what I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Silvester8

I've already own it, but haven't installed yet. I was waiting for this game last 5 years :)

kaimera wrote:
    8/10 from CVG
    Story struggles to make itself heard, poor characterisation

A lot of reviews have said something like that...I wonder what it will be like.

Me wants!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Provided nothing comes up, I'm going to get stuck into this tonight, looking forward to it :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

first impressions are good, open spaces, just to goddam bright today to see it at its best, sun beating in the window

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

It's getting a lot of mixed comments over on the PC Games forum at overclockers.co.uk. There's an interesting post about different aspects of the game by user 'Ulfhedjinn' about half-way down the page here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

koneko wrote:
    Provided nothing comes up, I'm going to get stuck into this tonight, looking forward to it :)

Report back! I value your opinion!

My limited edition tin has shipped :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Silverfish wrote:
    Report back! I value your opinion!

sheesh, get a room :p

(yes report back asap, some of us bums have to wait till friday)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Good idea for a game and good atmosphere. I love games based on a post apocalyptic world.
    The problem is you can tell the game was not meant to be as linear as it is and it had to be change to meet the release deadline. That said the publishers can't really be blamed they let development continue well past the original release date. Maybe lack of funds was an issue.

The game is also really unpolished. Still I think it might be worth a play through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Installed this this morning....not impressed thus far. Looks quite pretty but you will need a serious system to get it working well at high resolutions and with high detail.
    I'm running it on an AMD x2 3800 (clocked to 2500mhz) with 2gb RAM and an ATI X1900XT. It can't manage 1920 x 1200 at top detail...chugs at 20-25 fps. Is fine at 1680 x 1050 though.
    Gameplay is good and the AI is impressive for the most part. Some parts are a little sparse and dull...but that could be my low attention span :D

My major issue is that it is 5 years in development but it just doesn't have the 'wow' factor that HL2 had on it's release. Perhaps I was expecting too much..Going back to play some more and see if it can wow me later!

hopeful wrote:
    Installed this this morning....not impressed thus far. Looks quite pretty but you will need a serious system to get it working well at high resolutions and with high detail.
    I'm running it on an AMD x2 3800 (clocked to 2500mhz) with 2gb RAM and an ATI X1900XT. It can't manage 1920 x 1200 at top detail...chugs at 20-25 fps. Is fine at 1680 x 1050 though.
    Gameplay is good and the AI is impressive for the most part. Some parts are a little sparse and dull...but that could be my low attention span :D

My major issue is that it is 5 years in development but it just doesn't have the 'wow' factor that HL2 had on it's release. Perhaps I was expecting too much..Going back to play some more and see if it can wow me later!
    Well I think it was basically started 5 years ago, then restarted 3 years ago after a short bout of being cancelled. Personally, I think it kicks HL2's ass, camparatively speaking for the simple reason that Stalker delivered what it promised (but I hate HL2 so I'm biased!).

What's actually pissing me off at the moment is the AI, for the simple reason, when I die (a lot), I retrace my steps to get back to where I was, only to realise, too late, that those buggers aren't in the same place as they were before, and they shoot me again. I just wish previous games' AI had prepared me to have to think, I'm getting my ass handed to me :(

core duo laptop
    1 gig ram
    256meg x1600

runs like a bitch.
    Locked up everytime I tried to go outside after talking to the very first guy.
    1024*768 with everything up.
    1024*768 with everything down.

Running at 800*600 with graphics at lowest atm and stil jerky at times.

But I do love it so far. Aiming seems a bit off at times..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

No demo chance of a demo anytime soon I guess :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

I got my ass kicked in the second zone. Im not liking auto rifle pickups, or lack thereof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

so far i think its impressive,

a.i.=>

the ai is very good so far, the wild animals running around the zone in packs seem to work very well so far, don't get too friendly though cos there wild animals and will turn on ya:mad: , the human ai is very impressive so far too, there was one situation when a fellow stalker put a gun to my head in the first zone(ak47) so i decided 'ooh i'll have that' and opened my revolver on his head, got the gun, when i got up to the checkpoint up the road there was 8 guys with automatc weapons waiting for me, nedless to say i got nailed, so when i restarted the level i decided to just walk past that same guy i nailed last time and when i got to the checkpoint they didn't fire on me and i helped them fight off poachers on the checkpoint, thought that factor was cool

the graphics are o.k, the countryside doesn't impress me at all and to be honest the textures are fairly dated( i expected more i think, but i've just played through gears of war so maybe thats why i'm not so very impressed:D )

i'm playing this on a 3 gig/9800pro/gig of ram and it plays perfectly on 1040x768 so i'm sure if ya have a much better machine it'll look alot better

sound effects=>

the eax sounds seem very cool alright, i can't help but compare the eerie atmospheric sounds to half life 2 where it comes in second imo, but then again they weren't going for the same feel(more bleak sound effects and feel than hl2)

i'd be interested to know what ye lads think of the graphics that are running the game on full

anyways after a couple of hours play its very enjoyable so far..........:D :D:D

Advertisement