Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

s.t.a.l.k.e.r. game release!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Are you sure? At point blank rang when you open up full auto, the first shots seems to register then they flinch when hit and loads miss even though you are right on top of them.

Yup. Very annoying even with using the iron sights.

Finally got a good hour or two of play last night, 8*6 with everything off but I'm not really that pushed about graphics.
    Enjoyed what I played. The PDA UI could be better and the control of it aswell.

Upset that I sold Deus Ex now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Seems good apart from iv only played two hour of it and am already takeing a break due to how hard it is plus random crash's wreaking a good 20 mins of game play sigh

Had to pay 55 euro for it as well :*( as i got my brother to bring it in from town

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I must admit these negative posts have put me off buying for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Dcully wrote:
    I must admit these negative posts have put me off buying for now.

Wait for a patch the random crash's are a killer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Holy BSODs !!!!

First off the game wouldnt load at all so had to download a NOCD fix, now it boots but it every time I want to play it loads, then black screen then BSOD & restart.

It's been this long in the making and they don't seem to even have tested it, well properly anyway, very very frustrating, have to wait for a patch before I can play it ...

(BTW It's not my specs, E6600, 2GB RAM, 640MB 8800 GTS)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

I must admit that even though the game itself isn't great...I have had no stability problems in 12+ hours of play. Still fine tuning the detail settings to try to eliminate the stalls and poor fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Played it there for 2 hours before my first CTD. FPS kinda lurches every now and then, but overall its playable. Didnt notice any issues with the hitbox - I hit what I aimed at. The AI seems decent, had plenty of attempts at flanking and counterflanking. Any decent FPSer will still pwn the opposition though.

Its got issues and could do with a patch, but its addictive. Back in to play again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Paddy@CIRL wrote:
    It's been this long in the making and they don't seem to even have tested it, well properly anyway, very very frustrating, have to wait for a patch before I can play it ...

(BTW It's not my specs, E6600, 2GB RAM, 640MB 8800 GTS)

In fairness, not everyone is having problems with it, so it's a bit much to claim they never tested it, they simply didn't test it on your machine.

Cranked it up to 1024*768 but went back to down to 846*blah so I could up the graphics some; view distancs, objects and textures mainly.

Really loving the game. In some sort of sewers atm.
    Love the little touch like the knife&fork telling you that you should eat. I ignored it for a long while until I couldn't move.
    The backpack is annoying me. I find I'm running out of ammo very quickly and I do like to keep at least 2 smgs, a pistol and maybe the sawn off but I can't carry it all when loaded with ammo, medkits/bandages, ****ty relics [haven't found a decent one yet]

Thought I could upgrade my stats but I'm assuming only via carrying the relics?

Also, the degrading condition of the weapons > I'd have liked to be able to fix them or upgrade them rather than picking up upgraded versions.

Not as bad as I initally thought.

View distance is a huge kicker on the system and the lighting. Oh, speaking of, my flashlight isn't working in the sewers. I've got static lighting rather than the other fancy stuff. Would that be why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

PC games have this kind of graphics now?! (I've been away for quite some time :rolleyes: )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

kaimera wrote:
    View distance is a huge kicker on the system and the lighting. Oh, speaking of, my flashlight isn't working in the sewers. I've got static lighting rather than the other fancy stuff. Would that be why?

My flashlight worked fine in the basement tunnels, although the range of it was fairly limited. Using nVidia's 100.65 drivers.

My flashlight worked fine in the basement tunnels, although the range of it was fairly limited. Using nVidia's 100.65 drivers.

I'll fire it up and try it again. x1600 mobility gpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

humanji wrote:
    In fairness, not everyone is having problems with it, so it's a bit much to claim they never tested it, they simply didn't test it on your machine.

Its not a general statement, the game is hugely flawed, take a look at the developers site !

BTW, You cant post anymore, your post count is l33t :D

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

kaimera wrote:
    Oh, speaking of, my flashlight isn't working in the sewers. I've got static lighting rather than the other fancy stuff. Would that be why?
    Yeah, I think the flashlight may not work with static lighting.

I do hope they optimise the game quite a bit in forthcoming patches, I'm liking it quite a bit, but I'd like to be able to crank up the detail some more without the pants falling out of my fps ;/

Other than the lack of optimisation, I've had no CTD's as of yet, so it's stable enough here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Wow man this game sure is buggy....awaiting a patch.

Yeah, I think the flashlight may not work with static lighting.

Aye, but my problem now is that if I change the lighting to Object Dynamic [or whatever the middle option is], the game locks up randomly :(

Meh, I can live without a flashlight..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Nightvision doesnt seem to work either! Still addictive though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

This game is very addictive...it is growing on me:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I've got a Pentium 4 3.4 GHz, 2 gig of ram and an nVidia 7900 GT, and the game runs silky smooth for me at "Maximum" settings. I think it looks lovely, and I'm having a blast so far! Only crashed one - half way through the opening cinematic the first time I loaded up the game - since then its run like a charm.

This game is very addictive...it is growing on me

Thats just it!
    For all the faults I've had with it thus far, it's the only game I want to go back and keep playing right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

kaimera wrote:
    Thought I could upgrade my stats but I'm assuming only via carrying the relics?

Oh, speaking of, my flashlight isn't working in the sewers. I've got static lighting rather than the other fancy stuff. Would that be why?

First point. To use your artifacts you need to put them on your "belt", which is the five slots to the right of your secondary gun (some place on the right anyway). So you can't just hold them in your inventory, you need to equip them (double click for fast-equip). You may know this already, but I wasn't sure by the way you worded it.

Secondly. My flashlight didn't work either, I switched to Dynamic Lighting and it worked, but FPS went unplayable, then I switched back to basic lighting and hey presto, I had a light. I may have altered some other settings too, but be safe in the knowledge that it just needs some tweaking to get your flashlight to work, and you don't have to be on dynamic lighting.

As for the game, at first, I loved the gritty feeling and I still do, but I share the complaints of others about the weapons. The ironsight is awful too.

First point...

Yup, got that but still not sure how they actually affect my stats. Example, I have 4 artifacts on the belt and the only stats that has changed is my electric shock or something like that to -20%.

I have two which cause it to reduce by 10% each but the other two increase my endurance by 70+% and 15% but it hasn't changed overall.
    Secondly...

Excellent. I shall try it later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

I'm not impressed with it at all, certainly not what it was hiped up to be.
    I've got a P4 3.2GHz, 1Gb Ram & 7600GT 256MB and I have to run it at 800 X 600 medium to stop it from chopping, yet I can run Infernal up on 1280 with everything turned up and that runs smoothly and looks ten times better too.

hellboy99 wrote:
    I'm not impressed with it at all, certainly not what it was hiped up to be.
    I've got a P4 3.2GHz, 1Gb Ram & 7600GT 256MB and I have to run it at 800 X 600 medium to stop it from chopping, yet I can run Infernal up on 1280 with everything turned up and that runs smoothly and looks ten times better too.
    Try turning off dynamic lighting if you've got it turned on. The draw distances alone in Stalker are far beyond anything I've seen in Infernal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

My impressions. Love the game overall but I have to play with Static lighting which really isn't good enough tbh. I have an Athlon x2 3800+, 1 Gig RAM and a Radeon x1950XT and with anything other than static lighting it crashes every few minutes without fail. As I play through the game I'm enjoying it but very annoyed to be missing the full effect which I should not be with my setup. Oh well. No doubt a fix will come out just after I complete the game.

The combat accuracy stuff. Took a while to get used to but it's fine now.

This reminds me so much of Boiling Point. That was a game I absolutely loved but in the end just couldn't play it through because of bugs. Had it been playable it would have been a GOTY contender.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I just dont get it. I'm liking this game a lot at the moment ( just got it) .

It runs great for me too and no crashing.

AMD 64 3500+
    6800gs 256mb
    2gb ram

this is a medium/low end system yet I play the game on medium-high settings at a 1280x960 rez with dynamic lighting. Only ever get any slow down when I'm looking at flaming barrels.

I think the AI kicks ass.

The atmosphere is like nothing ive played before!

The things that annoy me is this the way he sways when he walks. I just think its a litte over done, but I'm used to it now.

The way the NPC's speak russian. I mean I do like the russian feel, but I also like how in many games NPC's talk to eachother. If theres enemys talking , I'll tend to stop and listen to the banter before I turn the corner and waste them.

But in this game all the AI banter is in Russian so I miss out. Be nice if there was some subtitles at least :(

Otherwise I'm loving it so far!

It seems that RAM is the key part of the system for Stalker, I'm running on a 3500+, 1Gb RAM, 6800GT and I have to play at 1024x768, medium settings and object dynamic lighting only, and I still get slowdown at times.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's running perfectly for me, with 2 gigs of ram anyway. Graphics card i have is more then powerful enough to handle it (512mb x1900xt). It looks great at times, especially the draw distance (which really lets some games down), but at other times it looks a bit crappy.

Gameplay wise, i havent had much time to play it. Did the first mission, and killed the guys in the car park on my 2nd try. It's got some great AI, especially the animals that roam about. Gonna play it for a few more hours tonight, if i can pull myself from Football Manager (Spurs for the title!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Hmm going to go out and buy this game today me thinks.

• Advertisement

Does anyone else crash often if they use Dynamic Lighting?

I turned Static lighting on and now I never crash.

Advertisement