Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

s.t.a.l.k.e.r. game release!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Naikon wrote:
    Your spec is similar to mine.
    Are you running Full or object dynamic lighting or static(DX8)?
    Im running full Dynamic lighting, just lowered Textures down a notch, turned off grass shadows, and lighting distance is down to 0, still runs fine, not complaining :D Have installed the 1.0001 patch and has made a slight difference,

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Enemy AI is great. Blind firing to where you were last seen. Flanking and using numbers effectively. What a game so far.

Yeah, I've noticed that too. I am very impressed with the AI. There is the odd bug but overall they provide a good challenge. Only issue I've noticed is that theyre cautious/spendthrift with their grenades. Though if they started using those with their infinite ammo it would be messy.
    Never in my life have I heard someone complaining about AI being too good. Not to mention his complete lack of game playing ability (watch for the shots of his inventory), and his complaining about the alleged innaccuracy of weapons, despite 90% of the time he's not even aiming at his target.
    Oh, and there's comparing it to WoW aswell, and BF1942.

Yeah, I laughed when I saw his inventory. 1 Good Gun + Loads of Ammo > 9 bad guns + little ammo. No wonder the AI was whipping him. And the complaint about not having a "You cannot pick this up" inventory limit - Is he too foolish to keep an eye on his inventory weight himself? You notice when youre overloaded cos you collapse dying of a heartattack after a short dash.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Picked it up yesterday. Had to mess around with it for a while to get it up and running - turned it down to static lighting, but when I went outside the sky was a bizarre blur.
    Found a fix on the net - run it in a window and knock the monitor down to 800*600. Not optimum settings for sure, but it runs pretty much full screen with those settings. Works grand now, with fairly decent settings - no frame rate issues at all really (odd stutter).
    Seems like a decent game so far. I agree with whoever said it was 'Oblivion with Guns'. Seems fairly difficult on STALKER difficulty, but Im just getting used to it at the moment, so hopefully it'll get a little easier.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Looks like the devs for this game are absolutely screwed.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. contains Doom 3 and HL2 assets

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/46449
    This week, threads have started showing up on various forums containing what appears to be evidence that GSC Game World's recently released shooter S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl makes use of a number of graphical assets taken directly from commercially released games such as Valve's Half-Life 2 and id Software's Doom 3. Many forum posters are speculating that the assets were used without authorization.

One of the first threads to be made regarding the matter was posted to the MapCore forums; the thread creator, user michi.be, posted screen captures allegedly comparing the light image folders from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to those of Doom 3 (all screen captures locally mirrored). Tellingly, though some of the images had been modified in various ways, such as having hue or saturation adjustments, the original filenames from the Doom 3 folders remained the same--for example, a file with the Doom-esque name "lights_impflash.dds," referring to one of the game's enemies, was visually modified in the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. folder but retained the filename.

Later in the same thread, user Johnny posted an image allegedly comparing a water texture from S.T.A.L.K.E.R. to a water texture from Half-Life 2. As in the Doom 3 case, the images were nearly identical and the filename was unchanged with the exception of its extension.
    HL2 Water Texture to STALKER comparison:
    http://www.shacknews.com/screens.x/stalker_assets/S.T.A.L.K.E.R.+Asset+Incident/1/thumbs/070408_stalkerassets_water_hl2_01.jpg

Doom 3 Textures and names:
    http://www.shacknews.com/screens.x/stalker_assets/S.T.A.L.K.E.R.+Asset+Incident/1/thumbs/070408_stalkerassets_lights_doom_01.jpg

STALKER textures and names:
    http://www.shacknews.com/screens.x/stalker_assets/S.T.A.L.K.E.R.+Asset+Incident/1/thumbs/070408_stalkerassets_lights_stalker_01.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Infinity Ward did this before taking some MOHAA assets with them when making COD.

Think they were fined few quid and told to give them back.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Oh my.......well hope they get out a few patchs before being sued ;p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

KdjaCL wrote:
    Infinity Ward did this before taking some MOHAA assets with them when making COD.

Think they were fined few quid and told to give them back.

kdjac
    Aye, rumor has it that GSC Game World are not doing great when it comes to finances, getting sued may be a huge blow to them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Well that doesn't seem terribly bright. Surely they could have used the textures as guides to help themselves design their own, but to just copy them - very lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Gah I just had my three saved games corrupted !!! I have to start again now, was in the zombie place just after shutting down the power things and passed out, so when I wake up I die !! Grrrr !! :mad:

Maybe someone near where you were can send you a save game. I'm only getting stuck into going to see the X16 labs unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

If anyone is willing to pass over their saved game from there I'd be grateful !

Send me a pm anyone. Cheers !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

This game runs like ****e on vista. I found out the hard way... any fixes?

I've heard on the developers fourms that there are two more patches on the way on of which addresses vista problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

This game runs like ****e on vista. I found out the hard way... any fixes?

I gave up and went back to XP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

I gave up and went back to XP.

I'm thinking this expression will get used a lot in relation to Vista and games :)

If anyone is interested here is a shot comparing Static lights (bottom) to Dynamic lights (top).
    stalkerdx9dx8tq3.jpg

I can get about 10-15 fps with Dynamic lights but there is too much lag on open areas. Static lights gives me a minumun of 30 fps. Personally I don't think the static lights setting looks too bad, but dynamic lights would also be nice!

I can easily run dynamic but whenever I do it crashes so I have stuck with static.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

I can easily run dynamic but whenever I do it crashes so I have stuck with static.

And somehow it still manages to not be as bad as armed assault icon_lol.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

I have no clue what I'm doing in this game...

As has been said, reminds me most of Deus Ex.

I love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

So have many people finished it yet?

I finished it a few days ago, first time I got the
    I want to be rich
    ending, then I went to a previous save game and got the
    true ending where I destroyed the C-Consciousness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

tuxy wrote:

youd think if they nicked stuff from Id and Valves games, they couldve used it to make thier own game run better.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Let's hope it turns out to be nothing. GSC seem to be talented guys, doing great work and actually listening to the community. You only need to look at the patch updates and future patch feature lists to see what I mean.
    It'd be a ****ing tragedy if a lawsuit forced GSC into chapter 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Agreed, it would be good to see what they could do with a better game engine and more fincial backing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Made a quick save and the game crashed 5 secs later. Reloaded and game now just crashes after 5 secs regardless of what I do. Mucho pissed off. Haven't looked to see where my autosave has left me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

This game needs 2gigs of ram to run it. When i turned all settings up to full and went back to desktop it was telling me i was using 1800megs or abouts.

Im kind of confused on what im doing also in the game. I think im just doing the main mission and not bothering with the side missions. I keep going to the next level and not searching the area for any good stuff. Prob will finish the game fast at the speed im going from one area to the next.

But still its good was playing it till very late last night, pitty about the odd crash from time to time.

BadCharlie wrote:
    This game needs 2gigs of ram to run it. When i turned all settings up to full and went back to desktop it was telling me i was using 1800megs or abouts.

Im kind of confused on what im doing also in the game. I think im just doing the main mission and not bothering with the side missions. I keep going to the next level and not searching the area for any good stuff. Prob will finish the game fast at the speed im going from one area to the next.

But still its good was playing it till very late last night, pitty about the odd crash from time to time.

In that list of updates on their forums they mention the addition of a free roaming mode after completion of the main story to allow you to do just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

5uspect wrote:
    In that list of updates on their forums they mention the addition of a free roaming mode after completion of the main story to allow you to do just that.

That would be very usefull all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Hey Guys,

Just got a copy of stalker, installed both it and the patch, but everytime i try to load the game it restarts my Pc. Any one have any ideas why??? Its seems to ony be happining since i installed the patch, as i got to the start screen of the game before the patch was installed. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the game, but alas, its still doing it.

Thanks in advance

Andy

• Advertisement

What hardware are you using? Have you got the latest graphics drivers etc?

Advertisement