Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

s.t.a.l.k.e.r. game release!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

5uspect wrote:
    What hardware are you using? Have you got the latest graphics drivers etc?

Hey, I got a Gforce 6800

Ok Then,

Uninstalled the game and the patch, and reinstalled the game without the patch and it worked fine. I then updated my drivers, then reinstalled the patch and it starts crashing again. Bah!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

6800 and what else!
    How much RAM do you have?

It looks like the patch is the problem, see about cleaning out old drivers too.

2 gigs of ram, It runs fine with out the patch being installed. Gotta be the patch i reckon. Any idea when the next patch will be released.

Glad to here its working. There's info on what going to be in patches on the Developers forums, but no release dates, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

Anyone have a problem even getting the patch to install. On mine it keeps saying can not find game. The game is installed in the default directory and i tried to US and WW patches just in case.

No joy on either...

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I had that problem with the patch also but thank god for that. It wasn't until after I tried to install it, I found out existing save games aren't compatible.

Great game but shame on all concerned for releasing a game in that state.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Am I the only one who got bored with killing the same group of bandits/military three dozen times? I've played it for like, four hours, and its all been identical druggery with a story that barely has any plot. I quite like the gun physics (high damage, low accuracy), but after killing a hundred people with them it just got a little dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Zillah wrote:
    Am I the only one who got bored with killing the same group of bandits/military three dozen times? I've played it for like, four hours, and its all been identical druggery with a story that barely has any plot. I quite like the gun physics (high damage, low accuracy), but after killing a hundred people with them it just got a little dull.
    You haven't encountered any mutants?

Granted it does take a little bit to get going but once you get into the X18 and X16 labs you'll never play that silly DOOM game again!

• Advertisement

neGev wrote:
    You haven't encountered any mutants?

I had forgotten about the dogs and pigs :)

But yes, there was one invisible monster thing beneath a lab, that was creepy. But the general gameplay is just boring me. I might give it another shot.

Good, stick with it :)
    I think it's a game that gets better the longer you play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Zillah wrote:
    I had forgotten about the dogs and pigs :)

But yes, there was one invisible monster thing beneath a lab, that was creepy. But the general gameplay is just boring me. I might give it another shot.

Yeah I got bored with it as well. For such a game its such a let down. Loading times are very slow the graphics are nothing special and neither is the AI, crashes all the time. They'll be releasing patch after patch for this for a long time to come. Nothing like it was promised to be. The only reason why any one is playing it at the moment is because there is nothing new out at the moment. As soon as any one of the other big games (and remember this is a "BIG" game) come out this will quickly fade away. It will never be regarded as a classic game.

Oblivion is able to stream load and so is test drive I can't understand why this can't stream load as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

i have to say i'm dying to play this game but between load times and crashes, i've given up after a few hours. I've just bought some more RAM to make it 2 Gigs. if that doesn't help, i'll be burning this piece of crap and never buying anything these guys release in the future- that'll teach em :p:D:p

I've 2gigs, 8800GTX, Intel E6600 and I'm loading Stalker from a raptor drive and its still loads slow.

you can disable prefetching by adding " -noprefetch" (without " "' and with the space) to the target in the STALKER shortcut target. Should improve loading times apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

AntiVirus wrote:
    I've 2gigs, 8800GTX, Intel E6600 and I'm loading Stalker from a raptor drive and its still loads slow.

fair enough, but does it play well???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

anybody go into the lab at yantar lake and get to teh part where you have to turn off three psi emitters. It takes away most of my life in one hit, is it just me or is it impossible?
    MAybe I have to get more life or something.
    EDIT:
    Also, does anybody else get huge lag in the arena, so annoying. Any way to speed it up in there? It's just a little fecking indoor area.

fair enough, but does it play well???

The game runs very smoothly at its highest settings without any slow downs. The new (beta) 165.01 drivers from nVidia make the game run even quicker. So I'm going to give them a try when I get home.

Up to my eyes in work at the moment! ;)

anybody go into the lab at yantar lake and get to teh part where you have to turn off three psi emitters. It takes away most of my life in one hit, is it just me or is it impossible?
    MAybe I have to get more life or something.
    EDIT:
    Also, does anybody else get huge lag in the arena, so annoying. Any way to speed it up in there? It's just a little fecking indoor area.

Did you get the
    psi protection from the Doctor first before you tried to turn off the emitters? Did you go take the readings with the other guy first?

Also, I've no idea why some people are having issues with Stalker, I've finished the game a while now and kept on playing, so I've probably about 25/30 hours racked up. So far it's crashed once, and I haven't patched yet.
    Performance has been fine since I started using the tweaked config.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

neGev wrote:
    Did you get the
    psi protection from the Doctor first before you tried to turn off the emitters? Did you go take the readings with the other guy first?

Also, I've no idea why some people are having issues with Stalker, I've finished the game a while now and kept on playing, so I've probably about 25/30 hours racked up. So far it's crashed once, and I haven't patched yet.
    Performance has been fine since I started using the tweaked config.
    I got the suit off him, then the countdown timer starts. I don't know what you mean by readings?

I haven't patched my laptop and my performance is fine, except for in the arena.

well my 6600gt died last night (I swear I didn't over clock it too much!).
    Anyway just ordered a 7000gt from dabs, we'll see how it does with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Question: I think I'm still fairly near the start of the game anyway got a question if anyone knows the answer to ?
    The mission where you find the under ground stash and then find out what happened to Ghost as you near the marker on the map to leave the catacombs you see a stash in front of you & as you approach something comes up from behind. A monster of some sort it's all black like in a shadow and has a cool effect as it's pulls it towards you & it drains your life bar. It's just before you come up inside through the man hole in the military base where you have the mission to steal the documents.

Are you supposed to run from it or can it be killed ?

What was that creature ?

Did I miss anything as the stash which I shot as I ran past did not seem to hold anything ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Throw a few nades at him if you have any, or just charge towards him and lay into him. Easy enough to kill. I've only came across two in the whole game.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

8T8 -
    Yeah he can be killed and I had to because going up to the military base was death for sure. The minute he appeared I ran str8 to him and got him with a few shots from the shotgun.

I got the suit off him, then the countdown timer starts. I don't know what you mean by readings?

I haven't patched my laptop and my performance is fine, except for in the arena.
    I might be thinking of a different place here, but you go talk to the Doctor, he asks you to protect another guy as he takes readings, then once the readings have been taken, you go back to the Doctor and he gives you the properly calibrated psi protection so you can go in to shut down the psi emitter.

I just remembered what made me go "Oh fuck this stupid game!"
    When I was in the first underground area I was finding lots of artifacts. Then I got killed by monsters and when I reloaded my game it didn't update properly and all the artifacts were gone. Then I went into the military base, sneaked around very carefully, saved it in a safe spot, went on for a bit more and tripped the alarm. Got killed and reloaded. The alarm was still going; once again it didn't reset the world properly.

Nothing like that has ever happened to me, but an artifact teh scientists wanted was different when I loaded it once.

negev.
    this is x16 in yantar yeah? looking for the body suit?
    I have body armour better tan the scientists protective suit and still the place destroys me in one blast, pretty much. They give me a countdown timer in which they say I will be protected, but I am not protected at all?
    I don't know what you mean by the readings thing, i never had to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Seems that the dev team did not 'steal' artifacts from HL2 & Doom3

http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=38945

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

8T8 wrote:
    Question: I think I'm still fairly near the start of the game anyway got a question if anyone knows the answer to ?
    The mission where you find the under ground stash and then find out what happened to Ghost as you near the marker on the map to leave the catacombs you see a stash in front of you & as you approach something comes up from behind. A monster of some sort it's all black like in a shadow and has a cool effect as it's pulls it towards you & it drains your life bar. It's just before you come up inside through the man hole in the military base where you have the mission to steal the documents.

Are you supposed to run from it or can it be killed ?

What was that creature ?

Did I miss anything as the stash which I shot as I ran past did not seem to hold anything ?

I met that in a sewer, it only attacks when it sees you directly and you have a couple of seconds before the attack hits. So I just leaned out, popped off a shot or two and hid back again and repeated till it dropped.

Advertisement