Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilmessan Broadband (Again)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 MessyRedBlue

Hey KHUGY,
    Ive been waiting 3 months for my phone line, Eircom have "contacted the technician in the area". about two weeks ago and I havet heard anything since. I was ringing them about twice a week, just to keep at them. As for broadband I dont expect to be able to get it in BL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Shad0r

Just got off the phone with Eircom Bangalor. They told me that I could expect the phone line (and BB) that I ordered at the start of July, in by January 2008.

7 months! I apologised and said I must have heard wrong, that I was just calling up for a phone line, not a prototype Ferrari. He said he could transfer me to Customer Service. (3rd transfer) I dont think so! Then I spoke to his manager but tbh it doesnt look good. That said I kicked up a huge fuss about the wait time.

I mean last time I checked we are living in a 1st world country. The company I work for would be gone out of business if our customers had to wait 7 months for something we were trying to sell them. Madness!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 KHUGY

Cheers for the replies,
    I was told the end of jan 08 also so that would be the same as feb if even. Making it an entire year. They are a joke in that place, keep telling me theres nothing they can do.Telling me the same dung over and over about the new exchange being built. How the hell can it take a year to build an exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Crummy2

Hi,

I am possibly moving to Kilmessan in the next couple of weeks, It would appear for the posts here that Kilmessan is connected to the Tara Eircom echange which is BB enabled, but is too far away for the signal to travel.

I understand that a new exchange is being built in Kilmessan, does anyone have any timeframe for this?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

just looking at a thread in BB, net1 might cover a few of ye

if not, its worth emailing them and seeing if they've any plans to extend their service, they seem to be covering other "blackspots" around the country

coveragemap.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Micky Finn

Micky Finn wrote: »

why is sat BB such a rip off?

424 blips to get started, 200 of which is a refundable deposit but still!

why is sat BB such a rip off?

424 blips to get started, 200 of which is a refundable deposit but still!

Hold on There ! For 224 euro installation cost you are getting broadband + telephone+all local and national calls to landlines at any time + 150 digital television channels + 100 digital radio channels. Where have you been hiding for the past few years ?
    Of course we would all like to live in suburbia where these things cost very little but we have opted for quality of life in the country but unfortunately this comes at a price. We made a proposal to DCMNR that as well as giving grants for wood chip burners and green style houses they give grants for the installation costs of broadband in rural areas. The fact that we have heard nothing back from them tells it's own story.

Hold on There ! For 224 euro installation cost you are getting broadband + telephone+all local and national calls to landlines at any time + 150 digital television channels + 100 digital radio channels. Where have you been hiding for the past few years ?

i'm sure most people already have Sky and a phone line installed and are just after broadband and this service, although cheaper than other Sat BB retailers, is still not economical for home users.

The "phone service" you mention is also a VOIP phone service and not a conventional landline service.

look at these speeds ffs:

256k down
    64 up

which is basically the minimum legal speed at which you can call your product "broadband"

Also, those tv channels are availalbe free to air anyway
    Our television service provides 250 satellite television channels including BBC1, BBC2, BBC3,
    BBC4, ITV 1, ITV2, ITV3, BBC24 NEWS, CNN, SKY NEWS, FILM 4, FILM 4+1. plus countless other
    entertainment channels. We also provide 150 satellite radio channels.

Our service does not include RTE 1, RTE 2. TV 3 and TG4 as these are receivable on local aerials.

no offence pal but it still seems like a pretty rubbish deal to me, i'd rather try one of the fixed wireless companies and hope something better comes along soon..

Also, those tv channels are availalbe free to air anyway
    no offence pal but it still seems like a pretty rubbish deal to me, i'd rather try one of the fixed wireless companies and hope something better comes along soon..[/QUOTE]

Like I said where have you been hiding while the world has been turning?
    For the record 22% of Irish homes do not have a landline. An unspecified number of homes are on carrier lines so their 'phone line is no good to them for broadband anyway. If you have had to exist on 12 - 14 Kbs. dialup for all of your life then 256 which is 20 times faster is highly acceptable.
    What is wrong with a VOIP phone service ? With your obviously manifest lack of technical knowledge you will be unaware that Eircom have been transferring a large number of your calls via VOIP and that this number will dramatically increase in the future. Once again there is no such thing as a free lunch. FTA costs from €300 - €400 to install. Check the advertisements.
    There is nothing whatever wrong with wireless and if it is available to you then go for it. Our product is aimed at the thousands of people who do not have access to either good wireless or ADSL.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

FTA costs from €300 - €400 to install. Check the advertisements.

Its more like €200 - €250 in Galway Mickey . It makes your install charges look fairly reasonable.

Now please stop pimping your 2 way VSAT, its boring me severely , this is not a sales forum like adverts.ie so feck off there willya :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Micky, if you can't defend your product without insulting, then don't post at all. You have no right to come on here and advertise[*] or insult other posters. Last warning.

[*]I'm OK with the advertising part as it is a last resort form of access to those whom you have replied to. If you abuse that, however, I will take action.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

The installation costs, while high, seem to be comparable with other 2-way sat-isps. It's the monthly charge I don't understand.

Nominally it's €24.99 per month for 256/64 which compares well with filiago in Germany (€24 for 1 yr contract 256/64).

But unlike filiago, you can only avail of the 256/64 service as part of a "triple-play" bundle which costs €65 per month. So for an extra €40 per month you get VOIP and a bunch of television channels which are all free-to-air!

cgarvey wrote: »
    Micky, if you can't defend your product without insulting, then don't post at all. You have no right to come on here and advertise[*] or insult other posters. Last warning.

[*]I'm OK with the advertising part as it is a last resort form of access to those whom you have replied to. If you abuse that, however, I will take action.

Mea Culpa CG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cobbler07

Does anyone have any information on the situation of broadband in the Kilmessan area, i've heard there putting new broadband cables in at the Quarry at Swainstown, I donno if its true could someone please help me

Thanks Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

edit-never mind topics have been merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 T-max

Yes, this topic seems to have gone on and on...until one day it appears the topic has been merged?

I have tried and tried, but could not find where it was merged with...and so if anyone could post an update on Kilmessan Broadband or indeed the likelyhood of Broadband ever arriving to the village it would be great...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

There has been DSL in the village for the last year.

Lines generally only capable of 1 meg but it does the job.

I know of someone in Bective Lodge, new phone line installed last year, but still cannot get DSL there... Is there anyway around this? I mean, do they have to get ISDN in and then re-apply? Thnx for your quick response...

Slaanesh wrote: »
    There has been DSL in the village for the last year.

Lines generally only capable of 1 meg but it does the job.

I ordered a phone line from Eircom beginning of July 2007 and I still have not received a date for the install.

• Advertisement

I just heard yesterday that some Eircom guys were working on pulling through extra phone lines in Bective Lodge and they said that by end August these will be active and effectively all those waiting for phones should be sorted. Does anyone know anything about this?

T-max wrote: »
    I just heard yesterday that some Eircom guys were working on pulling through extra phone lines in Bective Lodge and they said that by end August these will be active and effectively all those waiting for phones should be sorted. Does anyone know anything about this?

Dont know about that but I rang last week for an update and the fella told me that they were expecting that I would have a phone line into the house by the end of July. Of course they said March in Feb and it didnt happen then so who knows.

Also they basically blamed the builder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Tiamant888

Hi Guys,

How do you not have broadband yet!! <.cg removed dubious claims of coverage contrary to ISP's own claims>

According to their coverage map, they are nowhere near Kilmessan. Do I smell a shill?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Tiamant888, you do appear to have an enthusiasm for the ISP you mentioned. Looking at their website, they don't claim coverage anywhere near there, so I've removed the reference to the ISP.

If you work for them, or any agent thereof, please PM me before posting here again. Otherwise, if you have any evidence of their coverage of the area, then I'm happy to reinstate the reference.

In the meantime, your post has been edited as I find it quite suspicious.

Slaanesh wrote: »
    According to their coverage map, they are nowhere near Kilmessan. Do I smell a shill?

yea, i got the same impression after looking at their coverage map.

BS tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Tiamant888

I was an employee of OmniTel up until January 08 involved with the network, currently I have opened my own IT company in Dublin. I know for a fact that OmniTel have coverage all over Kilmessan. On the website their site covering Kilmessan is mislabeled (in Co.Meath) as "ferns" & has since been moved further to the west along the N3 around Tara direction, this site also covers Robinstown in meath. Also their coverage extends to a 10km radius not 3km. To double check this I have also rang their office & verified that this is still the case.

Tiamant888 wrote: »
    I was an employee of OmniTel up until January 08 involved with the network, currently I have opened my own IT company in Dublin. I know for a fact that OmniTel have coverage all over Kilmessan. On the website their site covering Kilmessan is mislabeled (in Co.Meath) as "ferns". Also their coverage extends to a 10km radius not 3km.

The "ferns" mast that you mentioned located near duleek - and since it specifies its range as 3k it doesnt come close to covering kilmessan by the looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

I hear they're getting colour television in Kilmessan next year... :pac:

• Advertisement

Indeed StickyMcGinty

Attached is the actual location of Kilmessan, nowhere near ferns.

Advertisement