Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Canal is drained. Why?

Options
  • 06-03-2007 1:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

I walk along the Royal Canal most mornings-usually between Jones Road and Annesly Bridge. I don't know the lock numbers.

Why is it drained?-I've never seen it like this before
    I'm assuming maybe it's going to be cleaned maybe by the council or Waterways Ireland.

There was the usual collection of sofa's and shopping trolley's but I thought it'd be worse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

just noticed the same thing this morning ... surprising number of deflated footballs at the verges ... anyone know what's going on ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

probably from playing football on the banks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Aren't the still searching for a body ?
    Where about is it drained ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Drained near the end of the canal. From Croke Park onwards. I don't know about further upstream.

Found the answer anyway as I went home on lunch
    Waterways Ireland are cleaning the canal. A nasty job but someones got to do it.

If they could throw in those winos who drink cans beside the canal most days and throw cans and bottles at the ducks ,I wouldn't complain:mad:

But thats a rant for another thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Thaedydal wrote:
    Aren't the still searching for a body ?
    Where about is it drained ?

That was the grand canal afaik and no they are not searching anymore. Body was found on Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

This is done a lot on stretches of the canal - cleaning or "dredgeing" being the proper term, basically over the years the sedament(mud) builds up and the canal gets more shallow - dredgeing must be done to deepen it so boats(one day is the plan) can sail down it etc etc

Advertisement