Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bath/shower - water running onto floor

Options
  • 06-03-2007 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Simple problem I think:

The setup is:
    • Bath
    • Shower head
    • Shower Curtain
    • Splashback tiles up to height of halfway between shower head and taps

Now, when the shower is being used, the water just splashes back against the wall and above the splashback tiles. The problem is then two fold:
    • Water trickles down to behind the taps and simply pours out onto the floor
    • Water lodges on the top edge of splashback tiles and overflows down the tile surface and onto the floor

Any tips on how I can fix this mess? It's really frustrating, as you can imagine

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Tile the whole way up. Install a proper bath/shower screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You can get a plastic attachment specifically designed to be stuck on the bath to direct the water back into the bath.
    The other option is a full screen shower door, but thats going to cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭krinpit

Both good options. Obviously squire1's solution would be the best in the long term.

However I'd like to give GreeBo's a go.

I thought there might be something like that I could get, but I wouldn't have a clue where to start looking for them, or how to ask for it. I'm sure the folks in B&Q would look at me like I have 2 heads!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,164 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Let me see if I can find out where my old man got his from, Im guessings its a pretty common problem its just the name that will cause you issues :)

Krinpit, if you decide not to tile the whole way up, at least make sure to put a bead of silicon on the top edge of the tiles. The last thing you want is for water to get in behind the tiles.:(

Is the untiled section of wall a plastered block wall or plasterboard?

• Advertisement

There's a metal edging on the tiling which is sealed with silicone.

The backing wall is just plasterboard. Typical modern apartment :o

GreeBo wrote:
    Let me see if I can find out where my old man got his from, Im guessings its a pretty common problem its just the name that will cause you issues :)

Thanks GreeBo, I appreciate it :)

I'd be concerned about the plasterboard getting wet all the time but others on here might advise you better on this as I've only got block walls;)

If I get the name of those plastic fittings, I suppose at the very least I should consider waterproof paint.

Advertisement