Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Time to send in Registration Paperwork

Options
  • 06-03-2007 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭

Looking for some opinions folks

Changed my car on 02/02/07 and traded in my old car off my new one at a dealership. Was told that the paperwork would be sent off to register the new car in my name and to de-register the old one but there would be about a 3 week delay in getting the new reg cert back in the post.

So far, so good. This morning a tax renewal form arrived in the post for my old car. No sign of the reg cert for the new one. I rang the Dept of the Environment and asked if the renewal notice had crossed in the post. They checked and I'm still the registered owner of the old car, no sign of any paperwork to change ownership on either car. So I'm still liable for tax, penalty points/fines etc incurred by the old car. They suggested I ring the dealer to find out when the papers were sent.

So I rang the dealer and explained what I'd been told. I was put through to a manager who told me he couldn't find any record of my buying the car. Then after about 10 minutes he said he found the paperwork in a file on his desk and blamed one of his colleagues for not sending it in. Then he said that it's not at all unusual for a dealer to sit on paperwork like this for 3 or 4 weeks before sending it on to DoE.

In the meantime I can't tax my new car, my insurance is invalid because I'm not the registered owner (in effect I've stolen the car if I'm stopped by a garda and the car can be impounded).

The dealer was abrasive and bordering on abusive and told me I could either wait until he sent off the paperwork or else he'd post it to me today and I can take time off work and go to the tax office and do a change of ownership and tax the car at the same time. I don't trust him now so I told him to send me the papers and I'll do the job myself.

Anybody had any experiences like this? Surely it's in the dealer's best interest to get change of ownership sorted out asap. Will never deal with this car dealer now and will advise

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Had the same experience myself. It appears to me that some of the dealers are just lazy and will wait until they have a bunch of stuff to send off to Shannon before sending anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Poor service from a car dealership? Well I never...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm amazed at the way some dealers get bogged down in paper work. I bet your hard cash didn't suffer the same issue on the way into the dealer's bank account. :rolleyes:

Fair enough the paper work got lost, but the attitude from the dealer towards you once this was established is shocking and inexcusable. "We have your money, now go away" type attitude is unhelpful and unprofessional to say the least. I would vote with my wallet next time and take my custom elsewhere. If enough people did it then these muppets would soon be looking for new jobs.

I just hope in the meantime that you don't have a problem with the car itself and have to deal with these cowboys again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Ring SIMI if the dealer is a member and bitch for about half an hour, you might get an apology call from the dealer as my uncle was pres of SIMI a few years back and said that a few dealers do get a bollocking every now and again for tarnishing the name...

Might not be of any benefit to you, but you'll get satisfaction from thinking about the dealership MD/Owner being fu**ed out of it by Cyril McHugh and him/her in turn doing same to the manager....

I worked in a garage for a few weeks experience and reg doc's were sent to Shannon every evening (the day of the sale) or on a Monday if the sale was completed on a Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

@ ninty9er

I'm going to ring SIMI alright, just as soon as I have the paperwork so I can go and get the registration done (don't want the dealer to have any more little lapses of memory before he posts me the paperwork).

Had a look at the receipt for the car this morning, the crafty feckers haven't dated it. However I do have a URL to the dealer's website showing that the car was sold (updated 12 Feb, I bought the car on 9 Feb). I've saved the URL so even if they delete it off their server I've got some proof.

Will be advising everybody I know to steer well clear of these cowboys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Countryripple

Reading you post there made me want to check out my own change details. Bought a car there froma dealer on Sat the 25th of Feb. No tax on it so I am anxious to get the change over details. So I phoned up Shannon there now. While you are on hold it says they currently dealing with registration details received on the 21st Feb. I held out and waited for an operator. Very nice lady. Gave her the reg, she gave me back the type of car. Says yes they did get the forms on the 3rd March. Confirmed my address with me and says that is now changed over and will be in the post this evening!!! Super lady!!! Asked her about the tax renewal forms and she says that the change is in the system now so dont need to wait for any forms or anything just go into them and pay it.

id advise anyone waiting to get onto them and do the same, cos I obviously bumped myself up in the pile of forms. It only takes them the lenght of the phone call to do it!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

No excuse for sitting on paperwork for weeks. it's freepost. We do a daily package of RF105 and change of ownership forms to DoE. This is just unprofessional.
    Complain vocally at the highest level and see what happens!

Advertisement