Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15 month old not walking yet

Options
  • 06-03-2007 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

My 15 month old daughter still hasn't gotten the hang of walking yet. Her twin brother has been vertically mobile now for the past two months but she is very very wobbly on the feet and only manages 4 - 5 steps before she falls down. My eldest girl was walking when she was 13 months old so is it unusual for a 15 month old to still be crawling around (she's very fast at this by the way!!)

Maybe I'm expecting too much but I thought she'd achieve the same physical milestones at the same time as her brother.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,936 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

both of ours didn't start walking properly until they were 16 months. Thats pretty late but not abnormal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Dave,
    This is all very normal. In fact the more mobile they are crawling/bumshuffling etc the less likely they are to get up on their feet, the whole falling thing is a bit of a drag.
    My sisters son didn't walk until he was 16-17 months.
    All kids are develop differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I don't think you've anything to worry about at this stage, Dave.

Our daughter didn't show any sign of walking until 15 months and even then she could only take a step or two before falling/holding onto something. But once she got the hang of it she improved rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭niallb

Hi Dave,
    by any chance does her brother get things for her?
    She's just learning how to get guys to do what she wants :-)
    Also, are they similar in size? At 15 months plenty of twins
    are still quite different sizes.

I have twin girls who are nearly four now, and once one learned to talk
    to us (they talked to each other alright in 'twinspeak') the other let her do nearly all the talking for a while. A few months later though, and they were
    both at it. It was more involved than that, but they're two people, and
    they do things in their own way at their own time.

As for walking, I can't even remember now which one did it first.
    She'll get there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

My son bum shuffled & showed absolutely no interest in even cruising around the furniture until he was 14months or so - didn't walk independently until much later than that. My daughter is 10months & cruising & trying to walk already - and she hates crawling! I think they all have their own preferences & will take their own time. If you are really very concerned perhaps mention it at her next developmental check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

No worries, just parental expectations. If you could crawl faster that you could walk in a race which would you choose? She's probably just an over achiever in her own little way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

but she is very very wobbly on the feet and only manages 4 - 5 steps before she falls down.
    Like her Daddy after a few,i caught you before:p :D

My two girls are/where late starters in attempting to walk but the boy was always early in everything.Solids at 3 months and his first step at 12months.

The bumshuffling is cute watching them sluggin it around the floor.This speed crawling that there into nowadays,its this new wetabix sport there eating for breaky.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I'm a childminder and over the years I've had a few toddlers who didn't walk until they were 18 months. They all develop at different rates.

I'm in the process of learning to walk again after breaking my ankle. :( Every day I'm making better progress and this week I've managed to walk (indoors) without a crutch and managed to go upstairs just holding the bannister and not putting both feet on the same step. I've a bad limp though but doing my best to rectify that.

I didn't realise how much your back and stomach muscles support you when you walk. The backache can be worse than the ankle.

I've won a holiday so I'm off to Australia in May and I want to be well able for all the sight seeing and walks, that's my incentive. :D

This learning to walk lark is not easy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

15 months is FAR too early to be worrying. From my (admittedly relatively limited) experience, many kids do things when then they have to, and not before. If she can get around perfectly fine without walking, then she'll do that until there is something that she can't do as well on her butt. Then she'll probably just up and walk, with almost no falling over. Plenty of kids dont walk till 18 months, and some take even longer!

Fox

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Mitzy

My sister had twins. One walked at 13 months, the other didn't walk until 18 months. I wouldn't be worried in the slightly. You can never compare 2 children. They all develop at different rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I have 18 month twins, boy and a girl and there was around 6 weeks between them when they started to walk. My son seemed more intrested in playing with things than chasing his sister around.
    15 months is definitely too early to start worrying especially since she is already starting to wobble along . My daughter started walking at around 13-14 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

Maybe their personalities mean they do things at different times. Perhaps the girl is just more cautious about taking off while the boy is happy to totter off on his own. My daughter walked properly at 15 months and I remember wondering for a few months before that if she'd ever get tired of crawling and hanging onto things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭littlebitdull

Stop dealing with them as one entity and your halfway there.

She may walk later than him, he may talk later than her. But they will each get there in their own time.

My three all walked at different ages... 13, 12 & the last at 19 months. But they all did it. As long as there is no medical physical reason she is not doing it she is simply not ready yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

While I had no worries about her physical development (she can climb onto the chair and then onto the kitchen table:eek: ), I just thought she'd be wobbling around like her twin brother at this stage.

It just seems a bit sad to me that he is quite comfortably getting around on his two feet while she is crawling after him.

Ah well, better leave her to it. She'll get there in her own good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

Maybe its sad that he's rushing his babyhood, and she's happily whiling away the days on her butt, :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

foxinsocks wrote:
    Maybe its sad that he's rushing his babyhood, and she's happily whiling away the days on her butt, :)
    :D:D:D

True but he can get to the food quicker than her thats why he's twice the size!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Don't worry, Dave. She'll walk. I've been told any time between 8 and 20 months is normal

Advertisement