Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dublin - The M50 northbound is blocked completely due to a serious crash

• 06-03-2007 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭

Emergency services are at the scene. Traffic is tailing back past Ballymount. The crash is also causing delays on the Naas Rd inbound - traffic is backed up to Newlands Cross from the Red Cow Roundabout. Motorists are advised to exit the M50 northbound before Tallaght to avoid major delays. On the M50 southbound traffic is busy but moving from Finglas to past Lucan. - source

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,557 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Both lanes northbound have just been re-opened. It should start to move again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

No fatalities, I hope ? Accident is cleared now, they say, but it'll probably be choked with traffic & onlookers for the next 4 hours.

Will be interesting to find out how anyone managed to have a serious accident on road the M50 what with its 60kph limits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Looking out my office window at the m50, just after the RCR northside.. Traffic was v.slow for a while but seems to be moving freely now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

franksm wrote:
    No fatalities, I hope ? Accident is cleared now, they say, but it'll probably be choked with traffic & onlookers for the next 4 hours.

Will be interesting to find out how anyone managed to have a serious accident on road the M50 what with its 60kph limits.
    And that it happened on a straight section of the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

franksm wrote:

Does anyone on the M50 actually obey that limit? I've tried to keep to 60kmph several times and nearly been killed. These days, it seems safer to try to go along with the flow and stick to ~80kmph.

• Advertisement

franksm wrote:
    how anyone managed to have a serious accident on road the M50 what with its 60kph limits.

That limit is a serious problem. Stupid limits are being ignored by most people. A lot of people seem to think that if you're going to ignore the limit, you might as well do it by a large margin if the penalty is going to be the same if caught. 90km/h would be a much more appropriate limit imho

mr_angry wrote:
    Does anyone on the M50 actually obey that limit? I've tried to keep to 60kmph several times and nearly been killed. These days, it seems safer to try to go along with the flow and stick to ~80kmph.

I'd say the same thing - I try to keep to 60kph, but it's dangerous (no joke) so tend to do 70kph, and even then average speed for everyone else is 95 to 100kph. Funny thing is, when you get to the 120kph section and speed up, people are still hogging the outside lane still doing 95-100kph !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

franksm wrote:
    I'd say the same thing - I try to keep to 60kph, but it's dangerous (no joke) so tend to do 70kph, and even then average speed for everyone else is 95 to 100kph. Funny thing is, when you get to the 120kph section and speed up, people are still hogging the outside lane still doing 95-100kph !

Like the old codgers on the single lane national routes. Speed limit is 100Km/h but they drive at 80Km/h. But when it comes to towns, they maintain the 80Km/h the whole way....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Will be interesting to find out how anyone managed to have a serious accident on road the M50 what with its 60kph limits.[/QUOTE]

Nothing surprises me on Irish roads these days. They are out there!!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Got stuck (again) on the M50 last night between Sandyford and Ballinteer junctions and as I sat in traffic watching the other drivers behaviour the thought struck me that it's **** all to do with the politicians. The M50 gridlock is down to driver error pure and simple.

Example (a) there was an accident in the opposite direction directly opposite the first one which had emergency services with flashing lights on scene, so rubber neckers rear ending each other. (B) the guy behind me in the driving lane got into that position by driving up the hard shoulder after the Sandyford merge (North bound) and forcing his way into a gap that had opened up behind me. At Ballinteer he then left the driving lane and went into the inner merging lane and shot off to jump ahead of a couple of dozen queuing cars. (C) a Mitsubishi 4x4 with his dipped beams almost horizontal and the poor sod in front of him would have been totally dazzled in the rear view.
    (D) even though the traffic was solid, around Edmondstown it started to clear up a little and we got up to about 80kph. Then the impatient drivers all come out. Tail gating in the overtaking lane, even though the guy ahead of him is keeping up with the traffic and overtaking the driving lane. Even if he moved out of the way, the impatient driver is only going to make up one space...

You can build all the lanes you like, but until we learn to drive defensively/consientiously, then the gridlock will continue.

<steps down from soap box ;) >

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Dyflin wrote:
    Got stuck (again) on the M50 last night between Sandyford and Ballinteer junctions and as I sat in traffic watching the other drivers behaviour the thought struck me that it's **** all to do with the politicians. The M50 gridlock is down to driver error pure and simple.

Example (a) there was an accident in the opposite direction directly opposite the first one which had emergency services with flashing lights on scene, so rubber neckers rear ending each other. (B) the guy behind me in the driving lane got into that position by driving up the hard shoulder after the Sandyford merge (North bound) and forcing his way into a gap that had opened up behind me. At Ballinteer he then left the driving lane and went into the inner merging lane and shot off to jump ahead of a couple of dozen queuing cars. (C) a Mitsubishi 4x4 with his dipped beams almost horizontal and the poor sod in front of him would have been totally dazzled in the rear view.
    (D) even though the traffic was solid, around Edmondstown it started to clear up a little and we got up to about 80kph. Then the impatient drivers all come out. Tail gating in the overtaking lane, even though the guy ahead of him is keeping up with the traffic and overtaking the driving lane. Even if he moved out of the way, the impatient driver is only going to make up one space...

You can build all the lanes you like, but until we learn to drive defensively/consientiously, then the gridlock will continue.

<steps down from soap box ;) >

you see, this is just bad posting. You never indicated when you were stepping on to the soap box! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Dyflin wrote:
    You can build all the lanes you like, but until we learn to drive defensively/conscientiously, then the gridlock will continue.
    I, for one, am dreading when they finally open the M50 with 4 lanes in each direction .. it will be utter and complete chaos .. most drivers here don't even know how to use two lanes properly, yet alone 4.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

daveym wrote:
    you see, this is just bad posting. You never indicated when you were stepping on to the soap box! :D

[Soap box /on] is my default setting :p

Dyflin wrote:
    [Soap box /on] is my default setting :p

What you're saying is right, though. Which is why I hope the Gardai in their new, unmarked BMWs target careless drivers more than speedsters-on-straight-safe-roads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

Wow...30mins from Sandyford to Lucan village. Was expecting it to be mayhem but checked the M50 cameras and all looked well about 3:50pm so decided to give it a chance.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

fletch wrote:
    Wow...30mins from Sandyford to Lucan village. Was expecting it to be mayhem but checked the M50 cameras and all looked well about 3:50pm so decided to give it a chance.

they are reporting in dcal that m50 is clear and everywhere else is jammed as people are avoiding m50 assuming it will be manic..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Bradidup wrote:

Nothing surprises me on Irish roads these days. They are out there!!!![/QUOTE]

Hi,

I was going south bound @13:25 today when it happened, it was about 100meters in front of me.

A truck changed lanes from the slow lane to the fast lane, but there was a car in the fast lane... the car was completely pinned in between the side of the truck and the steel crash barrier... The car was in bits i'd say it had been pinned in there for about 100m till the truck came to a stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Hi,

I was going south bound @13:25 today when it happened, it was about 100meters in front of me.

A truck changed lanes from the slow lane to the fast lane, but there was a car in the fast lane... the car was completely pinned in between the side of the truck and the steel crash barrier... The car was in bits i'd say it had been pinned in there for about 100m till the truck came to a stop.

Sounds nasty. Was the person ok? Trucks are not allowed in the "fast lane" anymore, are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

from the reports it sounds like the person was ok, also there was an ambulance right behind me in traffic that responded....

I'd say it was very very scary for the preson involved but not life threating... I have to say the guys working on the road there were great, it happened just beside them, one was talking to the driver in the crushed car trying to calm her, others were directing traffic ect...

I'm guessing there would be much more energy in a head on, or a head->side on collission than being pinned up against a crash barrier...

fletch wrote:
    Wow...30mins from Sandyford to Lucan village

Ah, that's why you started this thread, you wanted to get home early ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Alun wrote:
    I, for one, am dreading when they finally open the M50 with 4 lanes in each direction .. it will be utter and complete chaos .. most drivers here don't even know how to use two lanes properly, yet alone 4.
    I saw an advert on the telly recently advising motorists on how to use motorways. Haven't seen it since but hopefully the romotion was given a decent budget and will get the airtime it deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,454 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Emergency services are at the scene. Traffic is tailing back past Ballymount. The crash is also causing delays on the Naas Rd inbound - traffic is backed up to Newlands Cross from the Red Cow Roundabout. Motorists are advised to exit the M50 northbound before Tallaght to avoid major delays. On the M50 southbound traffic is busy but moving from Finglas to past Lucan. - source
    But where was the accident? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Was that the silver merc?

Advertisement