Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terrible SN Margin

Options
  • 06-03-2007 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭

I just had an eircom tech here. Very good fella and tried everything he could to sort the problem. I'm on the Business enhanced package and get rough 4M out of it which is lower than I should be getting. Before he called the SN Margin on the downstream was 0.5db which I know is terrible. Once he checked the line at the pole it went to 7db which is a definite improvement even though he said he didn't actually do anything.

Now when I check it's going up and down in between 1 and 3.5db. (Quick refreshes inside of 30 secs). Anyone know why it'd be varying so greatly in such a short space of time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

bad connection on a pole somewhere getting banged in wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭arseagon

Yeah thought the same myself. The tech came back and is currently climbing every pole from here to the exchange to track the problem. Now who said eircom don't have good tech support? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

They didn't send a tech. They sent a koala! :p

Lol I don't envy him his job on a day like today.

Ok an update:
    The tech just called back down and says he's going to replace the entire line from here to where it goes underground in the morning. That's nearly a mile and a half of line. :eek:

Anyone else get this sort of service or am I only getting it cos i'm on the biz enhanced package?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Problably because you are on the business package :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

zippy28 wrote:
    says he's going to replace the entire line from here to where it goes underground in the morning. That's nearly a mile and a half of line. :eek:

Anyone else get this sort of service or am I only getting it cos i'm on the biz enhanced package?
    Holy God what the hell are you paying Eircom?! :eek:

Holy God what the hell are you paying Eircom?! :eek:
    Dunno that yet but I never agreed any price for fixing anything so I think my rental should more then cover it. It's their line, if it isn't up to scratch and they have to replace it that's their problem. I'm not going to pay for poor infrastructure having to be replaced. It's the job of the provider to supply me with a line that will handle what the system says it can. I wouldn't get away with it so why should they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Well, has the line been replaced? :)

Yep :D Got a call at about 11 this morning to let me know I had a brand spanking new line and when I checked my connection speed is 5472kbps. That'll do me ted.. that'll do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement