Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreamcast... thinking of getting one. worth it?

Options
  • 06-03-2007 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭

I was thinkin of picking one of these up with a couple of games along the lines of street fighter third strike, shenmue, soul calibur. would you say it is worth it?

also what would you recommend?

Is the dpad good for fighting games?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'd get it for Third Strike. I've never played it but it lookd godly!! *thinks of the Dagan video

Shenmue is great if you're into them type of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Slurms wrote:
    Shenmue is great if you're into them type of games.
    Yep... the type of game where you wander around bars asking questions about where sailors hang out.

Dreamcast is a lovely machine though. I think it still holds up very well. Although a lot of it's top titles are available on PS2 and Xbox.

The Dreamcast arcade stick is lovely by the way... if you can find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's definately worth it - my favourite console of all time - so much so that I have three. One to play on and two as backups when the first one dies. Get one and get Power Stone 1 and 2, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Shenmue 1 and 2, Skies of Arcadia, Resident Evil Code: Veronica, Metropolis Street Racer, Ikaruga, Ecco the Dolphin, Starlancer, Grandia, Soul Calibur, Virtua Tennis 1 & 2, Jet Set Radio and whatever else takes your fancy. The DPad is pretty poor for fighting games, but there's a great official arcade joystick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Shenmue 2, Skies of Arcadia, Resident Evil Code: Veronica, Metropolis Street Racer, Ikaruga, , Jet Set Radio and whatever else takes your fancy. The DPad is pretty poor for fighting games, but there's a great official arcade joystick.

I have all of them on other consoles. I also have third strike on the xbox but it doesnt play on the 360 which is what i am most after as i love my parrys(not that im good at it):p

If you want ill take one off you :D also how much would one be expected to pay for a dreamcast these days. ?

I couldn't let any of mine go, but I reckon you could get one with a bucket load of games and accessories for in and around €100. Also the official light-gun is a must, with House of the Dead 2, Confidential Mission, Virtua Cop 2 all great games.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm thinking of buying a DC just for StreetFighter3:Third Strike, having waited many years for it to be released on another console. I'm actually amazed SF3 hasnt been released over here on PS2/XBox/360 by now!

It was released on the PS2 and Xbox in Street Fighter Anniversary Collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

only on the america version of the street fighter anniversary collection on the ps2 though, otherwise id probably settle for that

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd recommend Under Defeat. Fantastic shmup with the best explosions ever. Border Down is rather good but takes a while to get into. The other shmups to go for would be zero gunner 2, trizeal and Psyvariar 2. And of course Bangai-oh!. San Francisco Rush is a really underrated classic arcade racer. Can't think of anymore without my collection and wish list in front of me.

It really is a great console and games like Under Defeat and Shenmue really show off what it could do in the right hands. Lots of fantastic games despite it's short life span.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Forget about shmups, all you need is Jet Set Radio, Soul Calibur and Metropolis Street Racer! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I'd say there's almost no point in getting SF3 unless you get a separate arcade stick/more suited controller. The Dreamcast controller is awful for performing the d-pad motions that you need to pull off certain moves with. The 360 motion for Hugo's throws is almost impossible to do and I can do it easily enough on the PS2 d-pad.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Pick up Chu Chu Rocket and some extra controlers. Great multiplayer madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yep. Chu Chu Rocket is brilliant.

And Sega even sent me a free copy of that in the post back in the day... I can't remember why though... they also sent be Sega Bass Fishing.

Has Chu Chu Rocket ever been released on any other format? It would be brilliant on the DS with wireless multiplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Best Undiscovered DC games on Racketboy
    Also, 3S purists will tell you the Xbox version is far superior. It's also region-free IIRC, so you can get a cheap Jap or US copy on eBay if you can't find PAL.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Yep. Chu Chu Rocket is brilliant.

And Sega even sent me a free copy of that in the post back in the day... I can't remember why though... they also sent be Sega Bass Fishing.

Has Chu Chu Rocket ever been released on any other format? It would be brilliant on the DS with wireless multiplay.

Its out on GBA, great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Space Channel 5! Must-have, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

koneko wrote:
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Space Channel 5! Must-have, imo.

Up, Down, Up, Down, Chu Chu, Chuuuu.

Dreamcast is criminally underrated.

It's not as significant now as it was back in the day, but Phantasy Star Online was groundbreaking for me!! Edge gave it a 9, it didn't warrant a 10 but it really was a great experience! I could only echo what others have posted in terms of other games. Short answer get one asap!! Hell I even liked the 2 Sonic Adventure games on it. Oh, oh, Capcom Vs SNK-great game, but sequels on other consoles probably negate it as a must have on DC.

GET IT!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Yep... the type of game where you wander around bars asking questions about where sailors hang out.
    Forklift Racing <3

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Shenmue is one of my all time favorite games ever! The two sonic adventure games are great too! But Shenmue... amazing!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

IMO, Shenmue is worth playing even if it's not really that much fun from minute to minute. It's a very interesting concept, and could be a milestone in gaming history.

Also, you'll be amazed at how much craic can be had driving a forklift around!

• Advertisement
Advertisement