Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Diabetes] Question for Lantis Users

• 06-03-2007 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy all -

you may have seen my thread where I was talking about moving from mixtard to the basal bolus method so I'm taking lantis and novorapid for meals.

I know it's early days etc, but I'm getting quite high readings, and I'm not eating mad stuff or anything. The readings tend to be consistently high, it seems there is a high base-line, with meals adding to it, before the n/r kicks in and brings it back to the pre-meal high again.

I take my lantis at 7pm, which is when I'd usually be having my dinner and obviously having the n/r, so I'm wondering if the carbs boost at the same time is affecting the lantis, and maybe I should push it back or forward? I'm going to be talking to the nurse next monday, so I'll raise it with her but was just wondering if others have taken it around meal-times with no problems?

thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As mentioned I had trouble, not helped by switching over two days before Xmas (doh!). I went from a Insulutard input of about 26 to over 40 units of Levemir while I kept the novorapid the same level as Actrapid had been. I was told by my consultant that as NovoRapid is so fast I should leave it until I was ready to eat, however I found this to be too late for me. So I started to do two things 1) increase the novorapid dose by 2 units and 2) inject about 15 mins before eating if level was'nt below about 6/7 mmol/l when testing. This worked and I got my pre-meal readings back down to sane levels while cuting the Levemir back in tandem to its current rate of 27 units.

Now what worked for me may not for you tbh but as things stand you need to try something and I don't think of Lantis/Levemir difference is so big as to make too mcuh difference in tweaking.

Mike.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The lantus is supposed to work over 24 to 36 hours I think it is but have a very regular release during that time. For me though we could not get a dosage that worked reguarly during the whole day and so ended up with me reducing the total dosage of the lantus but taking it in two injections of slightly different amounts 12 hours apart. That seemed to work a lot better for me then, but things may yet get changed around again when I go back to them later in the month. When I originaly changed over to the lantus though it made a huge improvement to my control, but I had always been on the Humlog fast acting insulin so that was just a change in the basal type as the slow acting I'd been on before had a very irregular release over the 24 hour period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

thanks for the advice guys. I rang the diabetic center at St. Michaels and gave them the story, so my basal has been increased to 26 and my sliding scale for the n/r by one - seems to be doing the trick a bit better. The doc didn't think that the time I took it at was a factor anyway...

Advertisement