Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What to buy??

• 06-03-2007 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭

Afternoon folks.
    My V3 is on it's last legs at the minute, and I'm looking to change.
    I'm with Meteor, but willing to change if the package/network suits.
    Where possible, I buy my phones sim-free, and try to purchase before they become "common".

So now, I'm in the same boat again.
    Looking for something "out of the ordinary". Something with a decent camera (even though I'll probably never use it!). Probably something that's 3G capable, to open that side of things up to me.
    I likes my gadgets, so something with "bells and whistles" would appeal.

I've looked at the Nokia 8800 Scirocco, but haven't read too many reviews about them.
    Also looked at the N73, but since 3 sell them, they're probably too mainstream.

Any and all suggestions welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I know you said you want something out of the ordinary but have you looked at the sony Ericsson k800i?
    - 3.2 Megapixel camera with flash/red eye reduction,
    - 3G (why you need this on Meteor yet I don't know, Meteor offer it as k750i 2G only)
    - Bluetooth
    - MP3 player with memory card slot
    - Radio (never use it but threatening to!)

No WiFi though.

I like it, it followed up my V3.

Next on the list is a Nokia N85, 5 megapixel, WiFi, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

K750i is the predecessor to the K800i. It's not Meteors version of it.

On Meteor, I would recommend the W810i or the Nokia 6233. Basic enough phones but good features. It does the standard plus a bit more but not loads. 6233 has 3G, W810i does not, but battery life on the W810i is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'd recommend the K800i also... good solid phone, decent camera, MP3, feel to it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

Soarer wrote:
    Afternoon folks.
    My V3 is on it's last legs at the minute, and I'm looking to change.
    I'm with Meteor, but willing to change if the package/network suits.
    Where possible, I buy my phones sim-free, and try to purchase before they become "common".

So now, I'm in the same boat again.
    Looking for something "out of the ordinary". Something with a decent camera (even though I'll probably never use it!). Probably something that's 3G capable, to open that side of things up to me.
    I likes my gadgets, so something with "bells and whistles" would appeal.

I've looked at the Nokia 8800 Scirocco, but haven't read too many reviews about them.
    Also looked at the N73, but since 3 sell them, they're probably too mainstream.

Any and all suggestions welcomed.

What features are you looking for and which are priorities ? e.g.

Phone or Smartphone
    Smartphone - Symbian or Windows Mobile
    GSM or 3G
    WiFi
    Qwerty Keyboard
    Push Email

What will you be using it for ?

Do you want it subsidised by network or sim free (greater choice) ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,918 ✭✭✭Soarer

Cheers guys.

My only problem with the Sony's are they're all over the place. I'm kinda strange that way. I normally buy things that very few others have. So anything that's already available on display in Meteor/3/Vodafone shops are probably out.

@ skearon. Completely open to suggestions. If a certain smartphone is the best/rarest to get, I'll get that.
    Looking at sim-free.
    3G or GSM. Either/Or. Probably 3G, as I've never had one before. Might never use it though!
    QWERTY. Not bothered.
    Push Email. Not bothered. Actually, probably never use it.

As for what I'll be using it for. Personal use. Maybe take a couple of pics. Listen to music. Text and make calls. The usual non-business stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement