Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do i find my longtitude and latitude?.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Yeah, I thought I remembered rightly, that the long/lat is only in the corner on the photoshopped maps. Not present at all on the real maps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

watty just 2 questions on my dish declination and elevation.
    its kind of hard to know how to set my dish elevation because on my polarmount i have a long threaded bar with 2 nuts that holds my elevation,but its hard to judge how to set it because there are no settings or markings to set it up on.

also dish declination {which i persume would be my latitude 52.860n} do i set my dish declination to 52.860?.

what i had in mind was setting my dish declination first and then finding my elevation on 8.west,would that find my elevation correctly?.
    i got manuals with my dish that give instructions on setting up dish elevation,but this one gets me as theres no settings or markings to go on.

dish declination has got markings from 0----5----10,so i would set it to 52?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The polar mount elevation is 90-52.9 degrees, or 52.9 if calibrated for latitude rather than elevation. The dish declination is thus elevation for 8W (28.5) subtracted from the mount elevation = (90-52.9) - 28.5

The dish MUST rotate on the axis parallel to the poles, thus the Polar mount elevation is taken into acount when calculating the satellite elevation

http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/ab2.html

If it is a FIXED non-rotating dish you just use the dish elevation directly.

I can't answer anymore as I have turned into a toad due to 9000 posts. Zaphod will have to help :)

ok but how do u judge all this on a polarmount that uses a threaded bar for elevation,with no settings or markings on it?.:confused:

my elevation for alantic bird 2 @ 8.west if i was putting up a fixed dish would be 29.675
    my latitude 52.860n
    my longtitude -7.167w

can you calculate my polarmount elevation and my dish declination for me please.

A protractor for elevation. The angle about which the dish rotates. 90-53 = 37 off the vertical
    Tilt dish toward ground on the actuator/polar mout using its mount by 37 -29.5 = 7.5, though my estimation 28.5 = 8.5, but it can be fine tuned. do not fine tune the rotation axis elevation once set with protractor.

I may have made a mistake somewhere., Zaphod is more expert. I've only used either a manual home made polar mount or motor with integral polar mount.

• Advertisement

can you please tell me more about the protractor as i don,t know what this is,sorry for sounding a bit dumb.

protractor2.jpg

print it out

watty man have them booming in here from 42e to 58w.

what i did was i downloaded gorbtrack and got me details off that.
    it told me what time the sun would be at due south for my location,so it would be at 8.west at 12:41pm,what i did was point my dish earlier around 12:38pm.

as soon as i pointed it at the time of 12:38pm i tightned all bolts and went back in side and set my east and west limits.
    then i searched for tv8 at 42.east and my god its booming in at around 70%,so then the tricky bit time to test west side,so i move dish way over to 30.west and to my big surprise 30.w is booming it in here almost 100%.

then i said i better check the middle sats so i went to 1.west and am getting around 60-70%.checked 19.2east getting around 70% 80%,same on hotbird 13.e.also 5.w,8w,15w all booming in.

i never messed with the declination or elevation as i said i would try to get the due south bit right first,and i am dead happy with the signals i,m getting now and its tracking from 42.e to 58.w so theres no point in messing about now.also this is not bad at all considering the c120 lnb i have on my dish is nearly fecked as it won,t work on some high frequenceys that have h polarity,it is a cambridge 0.6 its a couple of years old.think i will invest in a invacom 0.3 c120,that should peak the signal a bit more as well.

i would just like to say a massive thank you to you watty and zaphoid for your advice and patience:) :):):):):):):) .

30W is strong.

Glad you happy. I'm having fun with a blind scanner (Fortec Star Beta) on my 1.1m Diseqc. A 2.5m with 36V, elevation motor and C-band option would be a nice upgrade :)

the neighbours would think nasa has landed lol:)

A 2.5m with 36V, elevation motor and C-band option would be a nice upgrade

• Advertisement
Advertisement