Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

saab v audi

Options
  • 06-03-2007 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

hi

im looking to buy a second hand car thats built like a tank (currently ive a cinquecento) and I have narrowed down my favourites given my budget of 4/5k

saab 900 3 door coupe 80000 miles '98
    audi a3 hatchback 97000 miles '97

which one to go for? i do not know....

any advice??:confused:

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

None of the above, but this instead:
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=323318

Same two litre engine as the 900, so no more expensive, but all the goodies incl. two tone leather and a real comfy and quick vehicle to drive. Very safe for its age too.
    (and a ginormous boot on top of it)

This one's been for sale for a year ...so that price should be very negotiable.

Expect very little resale value on either Saab, though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

tungsten wrote:
    (currently ive a cinquecento)

any advice??:confused:

Howdy, I'm all for nippy cars (especially SAABs) - but do you not think going from a cinquecento to a 2.0 turbo saab would be a bit of a stretch.

What litre is the A3?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Id go with the Saab, but only if there is a documented service history. Have a search for an older topic (last two weeks or so) discussing the 9-5.

The A3 is a great car, but I think a Saab (despite their recent GM butchering) would be a more interesting car.

Have you looked into insurance?

Theres always the ex UK Cop car Volvo T-5 option too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

9000 much better than 900. Good car. I'd have thought you might get that one for 4 - even less, maybe.........

A4 - of that value.........check suspension - more than likely knackered. Full refit is 1k+

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭tungsten

do you think there may be a problem with going up from a 899cc to a 2 litre?
    i never really thought about that....

insurance is fine

thanks for the insights guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

That would very much depend on how well you have your head screwed on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

tungsten wrote:
    do you think there may be a problem with going up from a 899cc to a 2 litre?

They're will be a huge difference in sensation and you might very well feel out of control because of the extra power. It'll almost be like starting to drive again, but (the good news) with a lot steeper learning curve. My 2 cents. Happy motoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Aodh

I have a '98 Audi A3 1.6 3-Door, bought it with 50,000 miles on it. I have it about a year and a half now and I'm really happy with it.

I was looking for something fairly bullet-proof too and I'm glad I got it. I use it everyday around Dublin and for occasional trips between Dublin-Limerick and Dublin-Far West Mayo. It handles these well and I find it quite comfortable. I'm fairly tall (6'4") and I fit in it quite easily and someone can sit behind me. The boot's big enough and I've crammed a fair bit in it with the rear seats down.

Watch out for problems with the paint, it seems to chip quite easily, as well as all the usual stuff.

Advertisement