Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

No start

Options
  • 06-03-2007 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Posted several weeks back after i had some trouble with a badly charged battery which was going dead if car wasnt driven for a day or 2 especially in cold weather. I kept jump starting it and that done the job although i may have over done it trying to start it last week as i kept at it for a few mins without the jump leads. I have changed the battery now and the electrics are coming on but its not starting. Does it need a push start to get something turning, its a diesel engine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Is the engine turning? If not your sterter motor might be broken or not properly engaged. Otherwise you proably have air in the fuel line somewhere from last weeks excercise.

See if you can vent the fuel line somewhere (your handbook might mention it, if you're lucky)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Dundalk Daily

Well its going into that pre start mode making the noise likes its ready to start.
    da da da da da da da da da da da da if you know what i mean

That means the engine is turning over, so it's not your starter.

In that case it's either no fuel or your glow plugs aren't working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

As said sounds like you should vent the fuel line and/or check the glow plugs (do the latter first), neither is hard if you have a Haynes or talent! :)

Mike.

Guys how do i vent the fuel line is there much involved and what do i need to check on glow plugs

• Advertisement

yes the fuel light is on alright but it wouldnt be completely empty should i just top it up or whats involved with this venting the fuel line. Thanks guys

Throwing in an extra 5 or 10 liters of diesel wouldn't do any harm.
    Had the same problem recently with my camper and it was because there wasn't much fuel left in the tank (plus I was parked on a slope:o )

As for venting the fuel line: My old camper for example has a little hand lever on the fuel pump and a vent screw on the fuel filter. So you pump the lever a few times, open the vent, let the air out , try to start, repeat until it fires ...simple.

The question now is: does your diesel have either of these and if so ...where are they. On that one I can't help you

Peasant i shall get onto that really appreciate the help. Have to say that without doubt the motoring boards has to be the most helpful than any other section. Thats my experience anyway.

Advertisement