Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't open My Computer

• 06-03-2007 8:38pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭

Hey People,
    I've got a P4 with Windows 2000 installed. All of a sudden i can't open My Computer, My Documents or i can't open internet explorer. I've managed to install AVG, spybot and Adaware Personal SE. and removed all virus etc.
    I've also managed to install firefox and that works too.

It seems to be a problem with explorer.exe. Anyone got any ideas with this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Is a complete re-install of Windows 2000 out of the question? ... because it sounds like that might be your best option...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Bard wrote:
    Is a complete re-install of Windows 2000 out of the question? ... because it sounds like that might be your best option...

Thats what i was thinking. But the windows 2000 CD won't boot for some reason. The CD will boot in my XP machine.

Thanks for the help anyway, it might come to that. But another option would be preferred.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Check the BIOS settings on you machine ( press F2 for setup etc. ) to make sure the system is set to boot from the CD
    also don't forget to press a key to get it to boot from the CD

You will also need a copy of SP4 for windows 2000 if you are going to reinstall - get it first ;) ( 200 MB - not an option on dial up ) and you would need lots of patches too.

before you reinstall windows
    Try reinstalling IE6 if you can as a step
    IIRC there was a fix to get shortcuts working again - if you had a broken association with .lnk files - think it was in powertoys TweakUI somewhere

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I ended up doing a reinstall using the drive from my other computer. Problem now fixed. Thanks for your help

Advertisement