Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Media Player Problem

• 06-03-2007 8:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Hi lads

Im at my wits end here at the minute I cant figure out this issue at all well two issues actually
    1. In internet explorer i cannot click any controls eg when i type in www.google.com it opens no prob then i try to search and put in my topic and when i click search nothing happens same when i press return. I can click the links no probs but I cannot return the page.....any ideas?

2. With windows media player I cannot play any of my music files and some videos files. I cannot find any link between which type of video files and none of my music files MP3, WMA etc will not play netiher will some WMV and AVI whereas other will play no probs as will divx or xvid files. It give me an eror saying "Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help." the web help takes me here
    talking about my codec or sound card not being installed properly but these files will open no probs in winamp

btw my HDD has been replaced recently but the previous was recovered and placed onto the new one

any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

When you say the previous was "recovered", were the entire contents of the old drive just copied over onto the new drive or were the programs that were previously installed on the old drive actually re-installed?

You may need to reinstall or upgrade Windows Media Player. Just having the program files there (from being copied over from the old hard drive) isn't enough, they have to be installed - meaning there are some registry entries, DLL registrations and stuff that the system does that simply plonking the program directory onto the drive doesn't do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

that could be it should i uninstall WMP and then re-install and see if makes any difference? when i click file - help - check for updates it says i have the most up to date version

about the recovery I think he used the word mirrored the disk I suppose it possible the DLL haven't been registered properly is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Try uninstalling it, downloading WMP11 and installing it from the download.

i just to uninstall and i could only rollback to WMP10 so i tried that and still getting more or less the same error starting to think its a problem with the files but that dosen't make sense when the files open no prob in winamp or itunes

I am trying completely uninstalling and I'll let ya know how i get on

still the same now tried to remove WMP no joy so i just downloaded and reinstalled the lastest verions wmp11 and still the same, dunno what to do now!!!

• Advertisement

So far I have rolled back my version of WMP11 to WMP10 and tried re-installing WMP11. Still no joy...
    files that wont work here will work on another PC and files that work on another PC will not work here

I really don't know where to go from here.....any help:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭highlight100

Sounds like a problem with the registry which can be tricky to repair so If all youre important files are backed up elsewhere (external hard drive,etc)the best thing is probaly to put in the recovery discs and re-install windows from scratch and start with a new system.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Your new HDD has the same settings as the old one.

so if there was data corruption on the old drive you may have inherited it. Also have you scanned for spyware etc ?

some viruses affect multimedia files - you could try VLC to verify the files are ok

since media player is intergrated with IE , I wouldn't worry about MP till IE is sorted - try upgrading to IE7 or back down to IE6 as the case may be

Advertisement