Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

damn root kits

• 06-03-2007 9:15pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭

i can't install avg cos i have rootkits on my pc causing all sorts of havok, got a thing called 'blacklight' found a load but the removal bit is a bit tricker, any programs that automates the removal appriciated, also i keep getting ie pop ups CONSTANTLY, all the tabs open on maybe 3 windows, freezing up the whole pc, task manager is all that gets rid of it, happens quite alot, ran spybot and adware, but since most other anti vi are not free, tis kinda hard to remove it. help appriciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Have you backups of your data?
    if so then the best thing you can do is to nuke the PC and start from scratch.

Most root-kits are "difficult" to recover completely from.

Even MS recommend not attempting it :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

ugh.... god dammit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

besides getting a priest to exoricise it, wizzard if probably right.

you'll also be glad to know that new rootkits have been discovered that can actually hide in firmware, so even reformatting won't help you:

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6162924.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Other option is to put your drive in as a slave drive in a different computer and scan from it in safe mode. Still a small risk of infecting the other one. And if your file system is NTFS then probably not the best idea to scan with a linux box.

Hiding stuff on printer hard drives is old hat, but I doubt that there would be malware in firmware, because there are too many types and most of which use checksums to check themselves on initilisation ( I'm not saying impossible, just unlikely due to the wide variety of devices out ther - one factor to remember ye olde flash bios on motherboards having different voltages, telling the motherboard to use 12 volts to wipe a 5 volt chip is kinda fatal :( , and unlikely to go unnoticed ) )

Advertisement