Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Finding Names

• 06-03-2007 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I am considering taking a civil action against two neighbour who live in an affordable housing estate over their barking dogs. Unfortunately I cannot proceed without getting the names of the one fo the neighbours. I tried many places including the land registry, the electoral register, the gardai and even my local county council, but had no success.
    Is there any way I can find the name of the occupants of an address?[PHP][/PHP]

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Why don't you just call into them and ask what their names are? I'm not sugguesting that this is what you should do, but is there any reason why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 MelanieD

They don't appear to be the friendliest bunch of people. Another neighbour of mine tried that approach but got verbally abused in the process.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Do you have any gossipy neighbours who know everybody's business?

I'm not sure if there have been official channels for finding out who lives where since the domesday book because of the protection of privacy etc.

If you want to make an official complaint against them, the Gardai are probably your best bet.

If you are concered about verbal abuse, try sending them a letter, unless of course you don't want them to know your address.

You might also want to consider if it is worth the potential hassle of a dispute with your neighbours, and if you're serious about your complaint I would strongly recommend contacting a solicitor or other legal advisor before doing anything.

I can't offer any legal advice, but if I could make a personal suggestion, it might be cheaper and easier to buy some ear plugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭sh_o

Ask the post man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Can you take legal action against the "occupiers" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If you want to make an official complaint against them, the Gardai are probably your best bet.
    They won't be interested.

Talk to the noise pollution people in the council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,927 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

surely the Adress would be enough information for a complaint? Just refer to them as the occupants.

You could always google the adress as well; there was something in AH today about people doing that with their phone numbers and such and finding reaps of information about themselves....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

You want to take a civil action. Right, you need the names of your defendants. You also need to know that the names are correct. No names or incorrect names and you cannot succeed.

Why do you want to waste your money on this ? You will probably get nowhere if they are skangers who don't give a jot for law or neighbours.

I agree with the suggestion about complaining to the council. Let them take it on and the costs risks that goes with it.

Some councils are utterly woeful about pursuing noise pollution type cases like this. Some will deliberately fob you off will every kind of guff you can imagine so feel free to get bolshi with the council if you get no assistance.

Try the gardai as well.

A bit of lateral thinking. If the animals are making noise 24/7 try the DSCPA or whatever they are called on the basis that you are concerned about the welfare of the animals at that address and see if that helps.

Victor wrote:
    They won't be interested.

Talk to the noise pollution people in the council.

Make an official complaint because:
    1. If you have any official complaint to make against someone else, the Gardai are generally a good place to start. The courts are the last resort, and it may look bad if you did not exhaust every other alternative before bringing someone to court. If you are unsure about the law, speak to a solicitor.

2. They might be able to bring your complaint to your neighbours or at least let them know there's a problem. There is also the possibility of a civil order under the Criminal Justice Act, 2006 (like an ASBO in the UK).

3. The Gardai have two main jobs: enforcing the law, and resolving disputes between citizens. They are generally fairly well trained in both. What is their reaction to your complaint?

I'm not advising you on what to do, but when you ring, for example, the council, they may ask you if the gardai are going to do anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjay

If dogs are constantally barking, then it looks like they are in some sort of distress. The DSPCA would be a good start if thats the case.

If you want to find their name, get friendly with your Postie! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dermot_sheehan

Anyone suggesting having a glance at Thom's directory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

for the name, ask the postman when he calls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

MelanieD wrote:
    I am considering taking a civil action against two neighbour who live in an affordable housing estate over their barking dogs. Unfortunately I cannot proceed without getting the names of the one fo the neighbours. I tried many places including the land registry, the electoral register, the gardai and even my local county council, but had no success.
    Is there any way I can find the name of the occupants of an address?[PHP][/PHP]

1. You need the names - full stop. Check this out:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA32Y1986S25.html

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZA32Y1986.html

2. Under no circumstances go to Court without a solicitor.

While it mentions 'occupier' the actual serving form clearly requires a name and address.

Please check your PMs.

Regards,

Freddie.

Advertisement