Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rather Extreme Irish language blog

• 06-03-2007 9:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭

Was forwarded this little gem:
    http://corcaighist.blogspot.com/2007/03/at-no-risk-if-he-speaks-it.html

I'm all for protecting the Irish language (and all that comes with it) but extremism of this nature makes me sick. Extracts:

>I believe that one cannot be Irish without speaking the language,

>If one is a parent and truly believes that they are Irish and have love for >this country then they should raise their children through the language (or >at the least bilingually). If they do not do this I personally doubt their real >grá for this land, our heritage and our culture, a free independent nation for >all Irish people.

>If we are serious about Irish and Ireland's place as a sovereign nation we >must realise that our ancestral tongue is sick, very sick,

>Use Irish in the home. It is the only way to protect the sovereignty of our >nation and our people going forth into the future.

:rolleyes: :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

It's a bit extreme alright and not the sort of thing that attracts people to the language imo. But hey, the internet's all about free speech!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Oddly it doesn't seem to come in Irish.... Thats normally how these feelings are disguised....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭GaryOR

b'fhéidir go bhfuil roinnt radacachas i measc na nGaeilgeoir i bhfad dlite thar téarma. Mar atá ar siúl thar sa Bhreatain Bheag agus a leithéidí.
    Ach sin ráite ní fíor a rá nach Éireannach duine éigin mura labhraíonn siad a dteanga náisiúnta.
    Is Éireannach thú, trí mhainneachtain, dá mbéarfá sa tír seo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 *lil fairy*

im in 6th yr nd i havent a clue wat u jst wrote in that last comment! irish is taught so bad in school, nd im dyin to be fluent in it! i love it! its a lovely language! our teacher had to teach us our verbs again b4 the mocks! thats how bad we are!! lol :o how bads that! but irish is klass............the whole world shud do it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

im in 6th yr nd i havent a clue wat u jst wrote in that last comment! irish is taught so bad in school, nd im dyin to be fluent in it! i love it! its a lovely language! our teacher had to teach us our verbs again b4 the mocks! thats how bad we are!! lol :o how bads that! but irish is klass............the whole world shud do it!!

Please don't use textspeak on this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Colm_Corcaigh

I always felt it was far easier to write in standard form rather than in txt. But that's just my two cents.
    GaryOR wrote:
    b'fhéidir go bhfuil roinnt radacachas i measc na nGaeilgeoir i bhfad dlite thar téarma. Mar atá ar siúl thar sa Bhreatain Bheag agus a leithéidí.
    Ach sin ráite ní fíor a rá nach Éireannach duine éigin mura labhraíonn siad a dteanga náisiúnta.
    Is Éireannach thú, trí mhainneachtain, dá mbéarfá sa tír seo.

Maybe a bit of radicalism amongst Irish speakers is long over due. Like that which is happening in Wales.
    But that much said, it's not correct to say that one is not Irish if one doesn't the national language.
    You are Irish by default if you are born in this country.

(translated very roughly)

Advertisement