Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dealer ways are typical

Options
  • 06-03-2007 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Typical, I found the perfect car today, and rang back in the evening as promised to confirm it, and the minute I mentioned how they wanted to arrange the finance (they had to repay me as my vehicle was worth more than theirs), he then rang me back 5 mins later with "ive got some bad news". Before he even told me I knew what he was going to say. TBH im pissed off that they can do that. first give a verbal deal, (i have a witness), then this.............:(

Comments

people make mistakes sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

and some people make an awful lot of them.

Strange, how a high percentage of those people seem to to be involved in the second hand motor trade :mad:

The bull-manure I've got from dealers about "mistakes" would fertilise acres, I tell ya.
    They tell you one thing to get you hooked and then it's back pedalling from there on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I like the sig Ronoc....I'll take you up on that advice...however their customer service seems to make up the shortcomings of the product

• Registered Users Posts: 65,393 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sorry to hear it, mumof2 :(
    mumof2 wrote:
    they had to repay me as my vehicle was worth more than theirs

As I posted in your other thread and I am still speculating, I reckon the main reason the dealer offered you the deal (meaning negative cash for him - quite unusual in itself) was that he had a buyer lined up for the Suzuki. Take it one step further. Buyer is no longer interested in the Suzuki. So the dealer is no longer interested in doing the deal with you

Maybe he gave you his word, but in a situation like this in real life, he is not going to honour it now, is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Sorry to hear that.

As Unkel said, it is quite unusual for a dealer to be on the other side of the equation with trading in, unless the car he is selling is hard to shift, and the customer's current car is particularly popular.

If I remember correctly, it was an Octavia against a Vitara that you currently have? If so, then I wouldn't think this was the case.

You will now probably have to go through the hassle of selling your car privately, which can be a bit of a pain - but at the very least, you may now be able to get a cheaper car and settle your loan altogether.

Having had a look online myself for a new car for less than 10K, there is very little compromise to the buyer in that range. Depending on your criteria, you should be able to get a very suitable car for a few thousand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

To be honest, it's no more fair to blame the dealer for changing their mind than it would be to blame the OP for changing hers. Until a contract has been signed, there is no obligation on either party.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Dealers are allowed to change their minds, just like the Public. The amount of times I've had customers commit to buying, and then back out is extraordinary, but I don't complain about it. And it far out numbers the amount of times I've pulled out on deals.

Anan1 wrote:
    Until a contract has been signed, there is no obligation on either party.

That's not strictly correct. Legally, a verbal deal is a contract

Obviously this is difficult to enforce :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

unkel wrote:
    That's not strictly correct. Legally, a verbal deal is a contract

Obviously this is difficult to enforce :)

Where is the consideration? A basic feature of any contract.

Where is the consideration? A basic feature of any contract.

A promise is enough.

But as I didn't say: a verbal contract isn't worth the paper it isn't written on :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

unkel wrote:
    A promise is enough.

But as I didn't say: a verbal contract isn't worth the paper it isn't written on :)

It should be enough, but sadly isn't.

It should be enough, but sadly isn't.

Yes a promise is enough. It's a moral consideration (someone's word if you wish)

All goes back to Roman civil law

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

ned78 wrote:
    Dealers are allowed to change their minds, just like the Public. The amount of times I've had customers commit to buying, and then back out is extraordinary, but I don't complain about it. And it far out numbers the amount of times I've pulled out on deals.

I can imagine it happens an awful lot more to the dealers than the customers, but I would think that it's a much bigger setback to the customer when it does happen. Especially in this case where the OP was expecting to be able to free up some finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Unfortunately, I've been on the other end of this situation, I now never hold a car for someone without a deposit and a written agreement, makes things simpler for both sides. I'd reccommend anyone that's holding a car till finances come through to put a token amount down on the car, 100 euro or so. this puts you in a better position, and it also discourages or prevents other salesmen in the garage from selling the car.

colm_mcm wrote:
    I now never hold a car for someone without a deposit and a written agreement

The agreement presumably stating that the deposit is non-refundable?

Sounds like a wise precaution to me

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

standard SIMI order form. can write "subject to finance approval" etc. if the customer is applying for HP

Advertisement