Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

160 character limit (SMS)

• 06-03-2007 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Old phones (and I mean those probably 5+ years old now, like my first phone, a Siemens M35) could only send 160-character messages. I'd say that all other phones can (I could be wrong) but on some you can disable the sending of longer messages, like on the Sony Ericsson T68i, if I remember correctly. If your message goes over 160 characters, you *will* be charged for two messages and if it's over 304 characters (?) you'll be charged for three messages. I can't remember what the maximum limit is, it's something like 450 characters per message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

its handy that it tells you in my opinion I wouldnt like to be charged twice for what is a few letters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

NiSmO wrote:

yes it can. have a look in the settings somewhere. if it can't send any more than 160 there's something wrong with it
    NiSmO wrote:
    i assume you mean without being double charged. yes, read the links in my sig :) other than that, no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Bummer

i have n73 and i can go over 160 characters, Did you buy the phones sim free or Locked to a network??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

Why not send long text via MMS?

With O2, an MMS without picture or sound will appear on your bill as "Long Text", the charge is 20c (including VAT) and you can type as many as 1000 characters for that.

Also, in most Roaming countries, it is cheaper to send and MMS home than a text! (check the website for details as not all countries have an MMS roaming agreement).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

NiSmO wrote:
    That's just the phone not really being too smart. The network will only send the texts in blocks of 160 characters, and charge you accordingly.

If a phone lets you know that you're going into a second text, it's not the handset that's splitting it in two, it's just letting you know that this is the point at which the network will split the text. If the phone doesn't tell you that 170 characters (for example) is two seperate messages, you'll still get charged for two sms (one of size 160 chars, and one of size 10) In general, it's older less clever phones that don't give you this heads up that you've gone over the 160 character threshold.

Advertisement