Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tw125 Trailway- For a starter bike??

• 06-03-2007 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi lads,
    Went to the RDS motorcycle show there on the weekend (and what a show it was) and i fell in love with the Yamaha TW125... Group 2 insurance and from what I hear shes great on fuel consumption (I am only 16 atm so at least most of my weekly wage wouldnt be going into fuel consumption)

Anyways, I was reading reviews online about the machine and I didnt read one overall bad review. Although, everybody did say one thing: the top speed is only 88KM/hr (about 55MPH) I am only a learner so I suppose its not that bad a deal but it would be nice to be able to go that little bit faster later on when I want to overtake some lew-der' doin 50 in a 60 zone lol :p

Anyone have this machine?
    Does anyone know if this REALLY is the top speed? It says in the Bike Buyers guide that the top speed is 112MPH, what a difference!!

Any oppinions on this as a starter bike?

Thanks all for help,
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

da4i's wrote:
    It says in the Bike Buyers guide that the top speed is 112MPH, what a difference!!
    LOL, BBG is talking cack, that would be a good top speed for a naked 500cc bike. A 125 wouldnt reach that speed going off a cliff. Sorry :( 112km/h would be more like it but even that is optimistic.
    Any oppinions on this as a starter bike?
    Could do a lot worse. But if you are tall enough, my instructor friend tells me that the Varadero is the best 125 around. Whatever you do, get quality training and gear (and WEAR IT always.)

One more thing - insurance - AON is likely to be your only option and it is probably going to be around the five grand mark at 16 on a 125 :eek:

Scrap the cap!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

AFAIK Aon class the TW the Varadero and TDR 125s as group 2. The first two are four stroke bikes, and either would be a good bike to start on, depending on which you like the look and feel of. The TW is a good solid bike, and in our experience, very reliable. If your buying one s/h check its been maintained. Rear tyres are an odd size and are expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mickbyrne

BBG are quoting the speed in kilometers, the have seemed to forgot to change the mph to kph, check the top speed of the sports bikes!!

I'm looking out for a starter bike for my better half at the moment and was in Embassy motorcyles in wexford today where they had a TW in stock, craking bike, and by all accords its a fantastic starter bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Ya can't go wrong with a Suzuki Burgman 125..........did I mention I'll be selling mine soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Ya can't go wrong with a Suzuki Burgman 125..........did I mention I'll be selling mine soon :)
    Yes I think you did... in just about every thread here :)

Would be a good choice if you only want to ride automatics, but for someone starting out with ambitions to ride geared bikes, they might as well learn clutch and gears from the start

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

*cough* sig *cough*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭parliament

I had one, while I wasnt technically a learner it had been a few good years since I was on a bike and I found it to be pretty good for getting the feel again. If you are buyinh secondhand I'd suggest getting a model 2003- present (it has a round front light and not a square one) as they have a revised carb,battery and headlight which are all better than the previous model. It also has tyres more suited for road use than the earlier model.

The only downside as I've mentioned in a previous thread was that apparently they get stolen a lot (mine was), dont know if insurance claims back this up though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

My buddeh's was stolen too, the knobber didn't have it locked.......in Ballymun of all places...........so it pretty much deserved to get stolen. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭da4i's

Thanks for all the info guys. I really am in love with this machine. Anyone know how much these go brand new? I saw one at the show and she was 3,500 brand new. Is that good or what??

Thanks again,
    Dave

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

wow, more expensive then I thought... brand new yamaha ybr125 (thought was a better bike? :o ) are 2800, and honda cg125 3k. You'd probably be able to shift these on afterwards easier too, the cg especially.

All that said, if the tw is what you've your heart set on, there seems to be alot of guys vouching for it - I couldnt stick the square speedo myself (how fickle :D )

I wouldnt buy new mind, especially for a first bike - very real possibility of stationary drops, question of how long you're gonna keep it investment wise etc etc.

You should be able to get a good varadero for 3.5k second hand for example...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭da4i's

na, the heart is defo set on a TW125... Im going to do everything i can to get it aswell. The insurance is very steep though so i might just do some school bike coarse so i get the cheaper insurance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 segovia

hi
    keep looking bikebuyersguid and so on, they do come up.I have one and I love it.they look so funky and chunky, easy to maintain, the 200cc in the usa and japan have cult status check out http://translate.google.com/translate?langpair=fr|en&u=http://yamaha.tw.free.fr/ good luck

Advertisement