Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8MB Broadband denied to 200,000 - BT to sue

Options
  • 06-03-2007 10:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

This is disgraceful,” McLaughlin continued. “There we are working in an industry forum under the Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg) and here comes this news. We are due to open our next-generation network (NGN) exchange in May and I cannot offer 8MB broadband services to the 200,000 broadband customers who cannot migrate. That to me is very restrictive.”
    http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single7907

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Asked what weapons are at his disposal, McLaughlin said: “We have ComReg with its regulatory powers that are due to be enhanced.
    OMG watch out €ircon! Comwreck is after you :rolleyes: I feel genuinely sorry for BT though it must be so frustrating having to deal with those a**holes Eircom and their intransigence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Hacketry

"This is part of the discussions we are having with ComReg. We can sit around the table with competitors to discuss this or we can see them in court," Danon told ENN.

http://www.enn.ie/frontpage/news-9953515.html

Is this LLU farce going to becom a re-run of the Smart Telecom 3g mobile licence rigmarole which ended up stuck in the High Court for ages?

Nevermind broadband as a technology issue. Do these people realise they are holding back the whole country? Why can't ComReg regulate some communications?

It's all a pile of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I think its about time bt started speaking up. Eircom have been getting things their way for too long, Comreg has done nothing for competition and Eircoms competitors should have kicked and screamed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Well, if this issue resolves itself in BT's favour, and they upgrade the exchange I am connected too, I would have no hesitation to move to a faster service, though BT would need to sort out the more contentious issue of caps, in fairness, they have very generous caps on their current bitstream product, but for an 8Meg service they would want to offer a substantially larger cap, or an unlimited service.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Heh, it takes a lot for BT to be annoyed about anything doesn't it? They really flatter to deceive. Last week the LLU situation was even worse but they still said nothing. It's a long time since they got the government money.

Anyway, it's very hard to give 8 MB ordinary ADSL to even the majority of lines connected to an exchange. With ADSL2, I believe it's tricky but doable. It seems Magnet had a fair few problems with line length/quality when they were selling their bb product.

It won't be long now before urban Ireland is faced with a harsh reality: do we want a natural monopoly in very high speed internet access or do we want partial but perfect competition in basic broadband?

Everytime technology begins to exceed our current capability to supply, the fact that the state has no say in eircom will bite us every time. To be fair, it's not an issue faced in Ireland alone but it's still unacceptable that we cannot mandate a basic level of internet access as a right to every household, without all the crap and the smokescreen of tenders and consultations.

Noel Dempsey, stand up to the plate and show some leadership!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Mr_Man

Noel Dempsey, stand up to the plate and show some leadership!!

Asking any politician in this country to show leadership is like asking a pig to ride a bicycle, theoretically possible but unlikely to be seen in our lifetime :)

M.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mr_Man wrote:
    Asking any politician in this country to show leadership is like asking a pig to ride a bicycle, theoretically possible but unlikely to be seen in our lifetime :)

M.

don't you mean a fish......
    its also very funny to look at :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Mr_Man wrote:

M.
    Think of it more as a demand instead of a request:) I would regard him as an atrocious minister were it not for the blinder Mary O'Rourke played while in office. In the very beginning of this decade, I remember listening to her on the radio claiming that every home in Ireland would have access to 5 Mbit broadband by 2005/06, can't remember which year. She was utterly clueless.

Issues like 112/999 provision are distracting btw. There shouldn't be an issue with other providers chipping in to provide this essential service. But we need to offer more incentives to eircom to improve their system to an acceptable standard.

Things like eircom "nearly meeting" their target of 94% of lines meeting FIA standard actually translates into over 120,000 lines not able to connect to the internet at this meagre rate. (28.8 k). It's not that fecking expensive to provide some method of guaranteeing such a service. These are the real priorities. NGN my arse... They still can't provide a standard of telecommunications ratified 13 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

BT says they're going to sue when denied a seat in the lifeboat of the Titanic while at the same time ComReg decides to once again change the seating arrangement of the deckchairs. BT have left it too late and we are here at this juncture no thanks to them. They needed to speak up in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006. Talk about legal action now is too late.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Does anybody have a list of exchanges that are to be upgraded

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

damien.m wrote:
    BT says they're going to sue when denied a seat in the lifeboat of the Titanic while at the same time ComReg decides to once again change the seating arrangement of the deckchairs. BT have left it too late and we are here at this juncture no thanks to them. They needed to speak up in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006. Talk about legal action now is too late.

I'm sure you know more than most of us, but the lack of Bitstream->LLU transfer is a serious kick in the teeth for BT who have obviously been reselling bitstream at cost price to get a customer base that they can move to LLU. I guess up until now this has allowed them to be relatively patient (at least in public) with the LLU shenanigans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Neelly1314

I find it quite amusing that BT are now on the receiving end of all the delaying tactics that they themselves used in the UK a few years ago. Sauce for the Goose

Neil

Advertisement