Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem connecting to a mySQL Server

Options
  • 06-03-2007 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Im having problems connecting to a mysql server outside of localhost. The program i have written is in VB.net express 2005, and im using phpmyadmin with easyPHP.

My program will connect via localhost - grand... so it should work over the net, so i can only assume that the problem lies within phpmyadmin.

On the front page of phpmyadmin down the bottom i have
    Your configuration file contains settings (root with no password) that correspond to the default MySQL privileged account. Your MySQL server is running with this default, is open to intrusion, and you really should fix this security hole.
    [EasyPHP : Ignore this message if you don't modify default configuration: MySql is accessible only from localhost address

ok, so i add a useraccount

User Host Password Global privileges Grant
    pants myip Yes ALL PRIVILEGES Yes

ok, so that should be it right? I've created a new user for phpmyadmin(2.6.1), said that the ip is ok to use, set a username and password..

Now when i load of my program, put in the ip i want to connect to (myip) i get this error
    Error Connecting to Database: Unable to connect to any of the specified MySQL Hosts.

Keep in mind, it works perfect with local host

Any help would be great

Cheers

P.S. I have no experience with mysql or servers/hosting. Anything that sounds like it makes sense is pure luck, so you really have to spoon feed the reply :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

This comes up aswell when i add a user, but the user still shows up in the privilages tab
    Database-specific privileges
    Database Privileges Grant Table-specific privileges Action
    Error

SQL-query: Documentation

SELECT *
    FROM `db`
    WHERE CONVERT( User
    USING utf8 ) = CONVERT( ''
    USING utf8 )
    AND CONVERT( Host
    USING utf8 ) = CONVERT( '%'
    USING utf8 )
    ORDER BY `Db` ASC ;

MySQL said: Documentation
    #1054 - Unknown column 'Host' in 'where clause'

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

If it works with localhost you more than likely have only granted user privileges on localhost to the user that you are using...

Try changing your mysql's user privileges using something like...

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'username'@'ipofserver'
    IDENTIFIED BY 'password';

Or you could just set the privileges to the user coming from any ip...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

aparently there is a bug with mysql5.0, i think thats what i was using.. I downloaded the latest easyPHP, which gave my login problems.. So i took the mysql folder from that and replaced the mysql5.0 folder in the older easyphp folder and ran that server.

I have added users and given access rights, passwords the lot, full access, full everthing, read/write/edit/delete, any ip can connect, no password.

I have forwarded the ports, and set my DMZ to my ip address.

Still no server found

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭sicruise

I doubt there is a bug in MySQL 5.0 that you can't connect from a remote server...

Trying using a standard MySQL client to connect from the server where your app lies to rule out a networking issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

red_ice wrote:
    aparently there is a bug with mysql5.0, i think thats what i was using.. I downloaded the latest easyPHP, which gave my login problems.. So i took the mysql folder from that and replaced the mysql5.0 folder in the older easyphp folder and ran that server.

I have added users and given access rights, passwords the lot, full access, full everthing, read/write/edit/delete, any ip can connect, no password.

I have forwarded the ports, and set my DMZ to my ip address.

Still no server found

this may sound like the obvious but what firewall are you using?

• Advertisement
Advertisement