Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling Dublin To Wexford?

Options
  • 06-03-2007 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I was thinking of cycling from dublin to wexford with a friend over easter for the craic. Bring a tent and have a cheap laugh for a few days.

How long would it take to get down? i was thinking a day would be plenty. set out early enough and cycle maybe 2-3 hours at a time we could be down for dinner time. Is that totally unrealistic?

Also, the roads down? My papa says the coast road's the only way, but it's very dangerous apparently? Any thoughts? I assume a few of you guys have done this before.

From a fitness point of view we're both well able for it and i've certainly got a decent bike for it (specialized hard rock rigid frame with 1.25's - light enough and the slicks make it glide along). I'd like to make this sort of thing a regular occurance over the summer. I think it'd be pretty cool.

So guys, any advice/tips/help/warnings are most welcome!

Cheers!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

its about 150k I think by car, so assuming you stick to back roads add 30-40k. You can weave back and forward staying mostly of the major roads easily enough. It's doable in a day but not sure i'd fancy coming back up the next day. Not sure how long it would take on a mtn bike, but say 200k at 15 mph average?(could you average this on a mtn bike for 8 hours)You are looking at 8 hours or so cycling time..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I'm doing Dublin-Wicklow-Dublin on Saturday morning so hopefully I'll be able to post afterward on what that's like. Should give you a feel for that part of the journey.

Plan on cycling to Bray and then following the N11 and R roads, so won't be taking the coastal roads you were thinking of, but at least you'll know what the main roads are like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

cheers man. That'd be cool.

time stamp~1am. i'm studying for an exam. i'm fecked for it. anyone know anything about thevenin/norton equivalent circuits? ARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

The AA Roadwatch website Route planner gives the distance as 138.1 km. Assuming an average speed of 20 kph (~12 mph) it would take 6.9 hours. So if you set out at 07:00, take a one hour break along the way you should be there in 7 + 1 + 6.9 = 14:54 or 6 minutes before three o'clock.
    But I think you will not do that average, and will probably arrive at 5 pm or 6 pm.

I thought you would do a bit of planning yourself. :confused:

Wear cycling shorts, and bring plenty of water / sports drinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

And forget all this bull**** about the coast road or taking massive detours. Go Donnybrook, Stillorgan, Shankill village, Little Bray, turn right before Bray, Kilmacanogue, Kilpedder and so on. Keep to the main Wexford road. If you feel frisky after 100 km (you won't) you can get creative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I too would take the main road- the back roads especially the one from Gorey to Wexford are narrow and there are a fair amount of HGVs. You could take the train back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ninja 101

i've cycled to wexford ,its not dangerous at all, went via wicklow town and greystones,just hoped over the boarder past arklow and then ma de a bee line for home,left about 1 pm too it easy and was back for nine, good laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Padjo1981

I cycle from wex to dublin and back a good bit, you should stick to the main road ie the N11 as much as you can, the back roads have alot of hgv traffic.
    The trip one way is doable in 6 or 7 hrs

Well, just got back tonight, unfortunately one of the lads' really just wasn't able for it, and couldn't go any further than greystones, so we locked the bikes up at greystones train station and got the train down to rosslare, pitched the tent in the sand dunes and had a good laugh. nothin in rosslare this time of year though, it was more of a chance to have a laugh before the run up to the summer exams.

The cycle great craic til we stopped, i was definitely able for the distance. i felt fine. The N11's a bit scary i have to admit though.

Definitely gonna try it again with someone more able for the distance. also, i won't put ANYTHING unneccessary in my bag next time. every bit of weight is noticable after 20k or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

Hi,

Three of us (including one total beginner) did Dublin to Gorey (105km on the N81), lovely trip, and we did it in 3hr 40.
    One tired rider held us back from finishing the trip, but we're doing it the week after next (this weekend is the galway cycle).
    I did it on a MTB with 1.3" wheels, so carrying gear wouldn't be a problem. That said, I'm getting a differently geared road bike (52T) for the quick sections, easily maxed out my Trek's mtb rig. We took the train back (are you meant to buy tickets for the bikes? We got €4 tickets for ours.)
    I even got slightly sunburned, weather was gorgeous.

• Advertisement

that's a pretty impressive time. Must take a look at the N81 for my next attempt! We got a bit sunburned ourselves yesterday. Definitely a nice hobby to start. With college and a part time job at the weekend i don't get much time to do these sorts of things but during the summer i'm gonna do it a couple of times for sure. great fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

Yeah, I've been commuting on my bikes for years, but never did any serious cycling before this month, and really get into it, we felt great once we got there, not really even tired. 400k this weekend is a different proposition, I'll report back if I make it :-)

Advertisement