Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argosy 320 GB Divx Harddrive Price: € 159,95

• 07-03-2007 12:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭

Good Price for this Drive, add 12Euro for delivery as well.........:D

* 3.5" IDE/P-ATA hard disk drive
    * Western digital
    * File System:NTFS / FAT32
    * PC Connection:USB 2.0
    * OS Supported:/ Windows XP / 2000 / Me / 98SE
    * Media Format:DVD-Video/DivX/Xvid/SVCD/VCD 1.1/2.0
    * MPEG-1/MPEG-2/JPEG/MP3/WAV
    * Outputs:USB 2.0 port x 1
    * Composite video and stereo audio jack x 1 (a special cable included)
    * Component video jack (Y/Pb/Pr) x 1 (a special cable included)
    * Coaxial digital audio jack x 1 SCART connector x 1
    * Power jack x1
    * AC adapter: Input 100~240V 50/60Hz / Output DC 12V/2A or above
    * Dimensions L x W x H:196 x 58 x 126(mm)
    * Weight: 980 g (with hard drive included)

Price: € 159,95
    More Information
    Argosy HV355 320G Mobile Video HDD is an external USB2.0 Hard Disk with DivX / Xvid playback function. It has 3 different video outputs: RGB SCART, Composite and Component. You can connect HV355 to your TV and enjoy your files like movies, music and photos in your living room right away. You don’t have to burn your files onto CD or DVD anymore and you can remove the files at any moment you want, which compares to DVD, it can only store files one time only. HV355 also includes a Coaxial jack for Dolby Digital Audio sound and a unique design that the remote control can be stored in the bottom rack of HV355. This external hard disk is compact, easy to keep and with its compact format this device is also suitable when you are travelling around. It also operates as an external hard disk but with much more possibilities.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

looks good .. wherever it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Was on iBOOD in January.. and bought it!

Quite good - a little noiser than i liked but coaxial surround sound is a nice addition.

Original thread here!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

...great... a link would be nice

...great... a link would be nice
    Clickey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭briman1983

My bad, sorry guys

www.ibood.com

They have good stuff every now and then. Some of the stuff is rubbish. Got an Mp3player off them a few weeks back, delivery took about 4 days.

brian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

got me one back in January aswell....think they were €189 back then?? found mine very noisy, ended up having to disconnect the fan. Quiet as a mouse now, and it doesn't seem to run any warmer than before

There is no need for a fan on a drive I don't think and a recent survey by google backs this up.

Massive Google hard drive survey turns up very interesting things

Posted Feb 18th 2007 9:47PM by Ryan Block
    Filed under: Peripherals
    When your server farm is in the hundreds of thousands and you're using cheap, off-the-shelf hard drives as your primary means of storage, you've probably got a a pretty damned good data set for looking at the health and failure patterns of hard drives. Google studied a hundred thousand SATA and PATA drives with between 80 and 400GB storage and 5400 to 7200rpm, and while unfortunately they didn't call out specific brands or models that had high failure rates, they did find a few interesting patterns in failing hard drives. One of those we thought was most intriguing was that drives often needed replacement for issues that SMART drive status polling didn't or couldn't determine, and 56% of failed drives did not raise any significant SMART flags (and that's interesting, of course, because SMART exists solely to survey hard drive health); other notable patterns showed that failure rates are indeed definitely correlated to drive manufacturer, model, and age; failure rates did not correspond to drive usage except in very young and old drives (i.e. heavy data "grinding" is not a significant factor in failure); and there is less correlation between drive temperature and failure rates than might have been expected, and drives that are cooled excessively actually fail more often than those running a little hot. Normally we'd recommend you go on ahead and read the document, but be ready for a seriously academic and scientific analysis.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I bought it as well and the worst thing I can say about it is the noise. It is loud!

Had no problems with ibood but if you look at the orginal thread the main problems seems to be with interlink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Does anyone know what resolutions this supports ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

KTRIC wrote:
    It won't play any of the 700meg Stargate episodes I have, reports resolution not supported or something like that :(
    Plays the 350meg ones fine though.

I had a look at the Argosy website and I can't find anything about supported resolutions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

SickBoy wrote:
    It won't play any of the 700meg Stargate episodes I have, reports resolution not supported or something like that :(
    Plays the 350meg ones fine though.

They won't play on XBOX Media Center, VLC or Mplayer either :(

craichoe wrote:
    They won't play on XBOX Media Center, VLC or Mplayer either :(

Probably a codec issue then.

I ordered this drive earlier, I needed a divx player and an external HDD for backups , so this covers both.

*edit - just sent an email cancelling my order, not worth the hassle for a low res player.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

KTRIC wrote:
    Probably a codec issue then.

I ordered this drive earlier, I needed a divx player and an external HDD for backups , so this covers both.

*edit - just sent an email cancelling my order, not worth the hassle for a low res player.

Were did you get the ifnormation that it only plays low res stuff?

kearnsr wrote:
    Were did you get the ifnormation that it only plays low res stuff?

Can you confirm what res it does play ?

KTRIC wrote:
    Can you confirm what res it does play ?

Thats the question I was asking you. I thought since you cancelled your order you found out.

Gona check out my box when I get home.

So far its played anything I have thrown at it.

kearnsr wrote:
    Thats the question I was asking you. I thought since you cancelled your order you found out.

Gona check out my box when I get home.

So far its played anything I have thrown at it.

I cancelled because I couldn't find ANYTHING ANYWHERE about what resolutions it supports. Just being safe by cancelling the order.

I even read through the user manual for the drive and it doesn't say anything about what resolution it supports, which I found very strange.

This looks alot better

http://www.pixelmagicsystems.com/products/media_players/hd_mediabox.htm

I'll take an hour out of my busy ;) day to study the specs.

*edit - not exactly the same :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

KTRIC wrote:
    This looks alot better

Looks good, but can it decode high res XviD I wonder? (ie - resolutions like 960x540).

I don't think any standalone can play XviD's with a bigger horizontal width than 720 or so (not to be confused with 720p, which means vertical resolution)

• Advertisement

KTRIC wrote:
    This looks alot better

Holly crap. How much would that cost?

Edit: No hard drive included

kearnsr wrote:
    Holly crap. How much would that cost?

Edit: No hard drive included

I think its about STG£300 :eek:

I'm very tempted, but can't justify that sort of cash for a media player at the moment. I'm still waiting for an email back from iBood to confirm my cancellation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Has anyone here recieved the Argosy HV355 yet??

What do you think of it?? I'm mainly interested in using it for DivX / MP3 playback...

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Loadedscream

KTRIC wrote:
    I think its about STG£300 :eek:

I'm very tempted, but can't justify that sort of cash for a media player at the moment. I'm still waiting for an email back from iBood to confirm my cancellation.

Holy crap....now why would anyone pay that.....okay not the same (most notably no HDMI) but an old xbox for 60-80 yoyos, mod it in 5 minutes and it can do practically anything that can do!!!

Another drawback i suppose is that its big and ugly though!!! but for the price!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

KTRIC wrote:

from my searching, i think the max resoulution supported is 720 wide....the 700mb tv episodes are 940 wide or something similar...i don't have anything with a res in between so i'm not sure where the limit is

open to correction on this though...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭the corpo

i got one of these a couple of months ago
    it's played everything i've thrown at it so far, bar one season of something, but that was a dvd rip with an unusual codec.

absolute bargain, and has gotten a ton of use, one of the better electrical purchases i've made in recent years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

I wouldn't buy a HD that size without a network connection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The_g-man

The second HDD enclosure linked by KTRIC has HDMI and states multiple resolutions up to and including 1080p. $360 for the basic model, $450 for the audiophile edition.
    Both times that's just for the enclosure.
    Worth checking around for compatible HDDs. A lot pricier, yet seems a much better investment this time around than ibood for what it offers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭jimogr

Did anyone buy this time around from ibood? I did and the order is still in progress, hasn't been shipped yet. Emailed ibood at the weekend and no response yet. Has anyone else's order been shipped yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37 Kane

I ordered it too - but no shipment yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

I ordered it too but my order is still in progress. The money has been charged to my credit card though.

I've never ordered from them before so I mailed them on Friday to see if I could get more detail than 'in progress'. They replied yesterday and said the order hadn't shipped yet but I'd get a confirmation email when the product was being sent out.

I had asked for a tracking number and name of the courier too but they didn't mention this as it hasn't been shipped yet.

Tip with iBOOD..

.. you'll be waiting an average of 5 - 7 business days before anything is shipped.

Bought one of the 2000 iBood Boxes which sold out in under 30 minutes on Saturday.. cost me €14.95 (excl. shipping) and god knows what'll be in it.

But they apparently had some great stuff in their New Years Box - iPod Shuffle and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

basquille wrote:
    Tip with iBOOD..

.. you'll be waiting an average of 5 - 7 business days before anything is shipped.

Bought one of the 2000 iBood Boxes which sold out in under 30 minutes on Saturday.. cost me €14.95 (excl. shipping) and god knows what'll be in it.

But they apparently had some great stuff in their New Years Box - iPod Shuffle and stuff.

The new years stuff cost quite a bit more €60+ ... I'll no doubt wait to hear how you get on with it .. send us a pm when you know more of what was in it ? ...

forbairt wrote:
    The new years stuff cost quite a bit more €60+ ... I'll no doubt wait to hear how you get on with it .. send us a pm when you know more of what was in it ? ...
    Yeah.. i realised that alright.

But the total value of the box contents generally is a fair bit more than the cost price.

e.g The New Year's box was €49.95 (excl. delivery) but someone reported getting the following in it:
    - iPod new generation shuffle
    - swiss army knife
    - 2 big big candles
    - hugo boss eau de toilette

The iPod Shuffle alone is €89 on the iPod store. Hoping for something good - will let ye know here when it does eventually arrive anyways. Having it sent to my work this time after the fiasco with "Interstink" last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I had seen that ... but found it a bit hard to believe ... maybe its their way of giving "share dividends" so to speak ... :)

I question the comments on the ibood site as well "nice ibood" ... "good ibood" ... "not for me" ... the comments seem strange to me ...

Sorry for dragging topic a bit off ...

still happy with my 2gb TrekStor mp3 player from them :)

• Advertisement

Ya got that 2gb mp3 player as well. I actually can't bare to read any of the comments anymore. There just plain stupid... It's like a 5yr is posting the stuff.

Here is a few examples from todays ibood

I’ll take it for this price!
    I’ll buy this one for my boyfriend’s birthday
    This is what I call ‘A watch’. I’m buying it!
    Funny, first a perfume, now a watch! iBOOD is making me ready for a date ;)
    Sweet!
    Cool!
    I missed it the last time, so this is my chance :-)

the comment for the birthday and the last one are really trying to persuade you into buying I think

Definitely agree about the fishy comments.. myself and a co-worker were talking about that just the other day.

One example being iBOOD had a Bluetooth dongle recently for a very meh pricetag of €9.99 (excl shipping of €12.50! :eek:). And you had loads of comments saying "great price, iBood" etc. Couldn't help but think "you do realise it's not a great price.. and it's an even worse price when you take shipping into account" :D

Got a reply today to say "The reason that your order is still in progress, is that we didn’t receive the 320GB HDD from our supplier yet." Not sure what this means time wise, as they didn't say when they were expecting them from the supplier.

I emailed them today and asked when they expected to ship my order. I got the following in response.

We expect to send it today to your office. Because our supplier had some problems with the delivery.

<my name>
    <my address>

Hopefully I informed you enough.

I don't know if that means they were sending it out today or it was to be delivered. In any case I didn't get an email about it being shipped nor did it arrive at my office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭chilli_pepper

From their info Page :

Are packages also delivered during the weekend?

This is entirely dependent upon whether or not your courier has had a heavy Friday afternoon at the pub. It is most likely that delivery will only take place during working days.

LMAO

• Advertisement

Got an email to say it was shipped - can't imagine it'll be here before the weekend, but at least its on the way :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kaizersoze123

I ordered on a weds, got it on a monday morning. probably the same for you.

mine arrived today.

haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Got mine today too. It's bloody tiny...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I still have not got this delivered , got an email on the 15th march saying it was shipped , should I be worried or will I give em another while ? (ordered it on 7th March)

I also have not received it yet, also got the email on the 15th to say it was shipped. Emailed ibood yesterday to see if they have a tracking number or anything but no reply yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 66o66o

Just Got mine Today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

got mine

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Energizeer

Got mine today also.
    Jesus christ it's loud!!!
    It's like a small Hoover next to my TV.
    I was all set to send it back but someone said that the fan can be disconnected, so I'm going to try that. If it over heats then **** it.
    Played a movie on it a while ago and the quality is brilliant, I had to put a few pillows over the Hard drive to muffle the noise so I could actually hear the TV.

Later

My Argosys wasn't loud when i first got it but makes an awful noise when it starts up but quiet when it gets to the file-screen.

PS - actually this thread reminded me.. i ordered an iBOOD box almost 2 weeks ago now and it still hasn't shipped! :mad:

• Advertisement
Advertisement