Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Has April 1st come early??

• 07-03-2007 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

What in the name of all thats holy is this about?? And who would want one????

Link

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Who WOULDN'T want something called "Jablotron"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Vodafone have been offering this to their customers in Germany for over a year as far as I can recall.

For €20 a month, you get unlimited calls to all German landlines and the entire Vodafone network there. Not only that, but you also get a landline number on it too, so people can call you cheap/free, even if they're on another network. The fact that they've added it to their catalogue here, albeit in error for now (Out of stock?) could indicate that they will soon make a similar product available in Ireland. I can dream, can't I? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Is it just me, or does this sound like something out of a 60's Sci-fi film?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Actually it makes sense. There are people out there, and Vodafone know this.. what will not get a land line and only use their mobiles. So it makes sense to offer a land line type phone they can use with their mobile sim card or subscription instead.

Cant imagine the point but there must be a market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Saruman wrote:
    Cant imagine the point but there must be a market.

Students and immigrants spring to mind. Those that move around quite a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

what if i buy this and put the sim in my mobile and use it like normal mobile and buy the cheap package they will ofer with it

Yes looks like april fool thing

Its a step backward !

Well, in Germany they don't market it as a replacement for your mobile, they market it as a replacement for your landline. Also, they register the cells around your house, so you can't just take it with you (they'll notice). They do however offer a combination product where you can get this tariff added to your existing mobile, but you'll only be able to use it within a few miles of your house, if you move further away you will get billed at whatever mobile rates apply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

alfagt wrote:
    What in the name of all thats holy is this about?? And who would want one????

Link

Its a marketing gimmick, you buy one of these and because it looks like a land line you forget that its on mobile rates and will use it more. Wait until you get your first bill!!!!. The elderly will fall for this. Try another one vodaphone!!!!

Bradidup wrote:
    Its a marketing gimmick, you buy one of these and because it looks like a land line you forget that its on mobile rates and will use it more. Wait until you get your first bill!!!!. The elderly will fall for this. Try another one vodaphone!!!!

Don't be so quick to judge. In Germany, Vodafone charge landline rates while using this product, and even give you a landline number on it. They might do the same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Randomswinger

What about builders, Eircom are so slow to install lines on site offices. Cheaper then giving everyone their own mobile

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭lfc1892

Actually O2 have been selling something like this for a long time now. They use the Tellular Devices that can be used both as phones and faxes. The point? They are for remote scenarios that cannot get landlines. For example, a building site, site office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

there are plenty of places where a landline isn't practical or even technically possible in a lot of cases. site offices on building sites are a very good example as was said.

add to that the compatitively priced tariff and you're all set.

there are actually mobile boxes that can be used on sites like that, with a couple of lines for phone and fax, but they cost a lot more than this. if it could support a second line and had a line out for a fax it would be perfect for a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

What about builders, Eircom are so slow to install lines on site offices.

Just like builders and their deadlines.

LOVIN' IT!!!!!!!

I've seen the O2 version used a number of times and it worked great, most people didn't even realise they were on a mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

In my old job we had phones like that.. Used to do the cameras for the races.. The phones in the OB all used sim cards... Was the only way..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement