Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Commercial Vehicles - couple of questions

Options
  • 07-03-2007 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry folks, I know this has probably been posted a million times but I'm trying to find a definitive answer. I may be in a position to get a vehicle through my company. Not 100% sure if I'm going to go for it, as it could be too much of a compromise but I want to check out a couple of things first.

From what I understand, if it is a commercial, there is less BIK (5% per year?), and if it is diesel then the VAT can be claimed back from the fuel. Is this correct?

I heard that crewcabs were able to be taxed as commercial originally, but this loophole was closed. Does that mean that anyone or any company that uses a crew cab must tax it as a standard vehicle?

ta

Eoin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Also, do you know if it is easy to convert a vehicle to commercial, and have it taxed as such?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

You can claim back vat on the diesel and more importantly, the purchase price.

The Commercial tax is down to how it’s used, if it’s been used as a commercial, then its Commercial tax. But you need to DOE (commercial NCT) every year from new to get the Tax.

To turn a private vehicle into commercial (not crew cab), you must remove the seats behind the driver and front passenger seat(s) and cut off the anchor points for the rear seat belts.
    Remove/blacken the side windows and/or rear door glass.

Then it can be registered as a commerical.

Mc-BigE wrote:
    You can claim back vat on the diesel and more importantly, the purchase price.

The Commercial tax is down to how it’s used, if it’s been used as a commercial, then its Commercial tax. But you need to DOE (commercial NCT) every year from new to get the Tax.

To turn a private vehicle into commercial (not crew cab), you must remove the seats behind the driver and front passenger seat(s) and cut off the anchor points for the rear seat belts.
    Remove/blacken the side windows and/or rear door glass.

Then it can be registered as a commerical.

Thanks for that. How does one prove that it is being used as a commercial?

And following on from that, if the crewcab is being used commercially, can the VAT on the diesel and purchase price also be claimed back, despite it being able to accomodate rear passengers (albeit quite uncomfortably!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

eoin_s wrote:
    Thanks for that. How does one prove that it is being used as a commercial?

And following on from that, if the crewcab is being used commercially, can the VAT on the diesel and purchase price also be claimed back, despite it being able to accomodate rear passengers (albeit quite uncomfortably!)?

if you've got your own company like you said in your first post, then thats your proof.

Crew cabs are a bit of a grey area IMO when it comes to taxing commercially and carrying rear passengers. it might be worth a phone call to the motor tax office or revenue.

just posted this a minute ago, its relevent to this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055062486

Mc-BigE wrote:
    if you've got your own company like you said in your first post, then thats your proof.

Crew cabs are a bit of a grey area IMO when it comes to taxing commercially and carrying rear passengers. it might be worth a phone call to the motor tax office or revenue.

just posted this a minute ago, its relevent to this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055062486

Thanks again, I'll check that out. Being quite honest, a commercial isn't entirely necessary, and if there was no way I could have more than one passenger I think it would be too much of a compromise.

That MPV in the link you posted looks very suspect as a commercial!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I think it's an accountant you need to talk to OP...

Savman wrote:
    I think it's an accountant you need to talk to OP...

Yeah, I think so. In fact, I think just claiming for mileage is a better option anyhow - the crew cabs are the only ones that would suit me, and the grey area notwithstanding, I think they would be a bit too much of a compromise after my 32d.

Advertisement