Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3 data sim card on 3 phones?

• 07-03-2007 1:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

can you surf the net sans walled garden with a data sim at all? i get the usual cost screen even with a data sim inserted..?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

afaik it only works in the datacard. you can't just put it in a phone and use the net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

whats a balls.........

you think they would let you goddamn use phones like n73 etc with proper internet usage.....?!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

It works grand, but you need to use the correct APN. That is all. Your phone is probably using their normal walled garden APN.

It works grand, but you need to use the correct APN. That is all. Your phone is probably using their normal walled garden APN.
    ah i see

Unless 3 have somehow locked down the APN on their phones, in that case you would need to re-flash the phone with standard Nokia firmware first. I don't think they'd go that far, though. You can change the APN I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 andrewm1986

How does one do this? Useful link or google search criteria please?

ok then, how does one obtain an APN for these data sims? anyone.....anyone.?¬!

With Vodafone at least, you can find out the APN by looking at the connect software, which incidentally is office.vodafone.ie. Whereas the APN for Vodafone Live!, the equivalent of 3's 3G walled garden, is live.vodafone.ie. Your phone came pre-loaded with the walled garden APN, hence why it isn't letting you go outside of that. Have you looked at the connect software that came with your 3 data card? There should be connection settings/APN/password somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

afaik it only works in the datacard. you can't just put it in a phone and use the net

Of course you can, it works perfectly. My dataSIM is permamently in an unlocked phone. Apart from using the web, I am also using fring to make and receive calls via Skype and MSN.

legs11 wrote:
    whats a balls.........

you think they would let you goddamn use phones like n73 etc with proper internet usage.....?!!

Strange comment from you, Legs -don't you have your dataSIM in a Motorola v3xx?

• Advertisement

How does one do this? Useful link or google search criteria please?

Depending on handset, the APN is to be found in the connection settings: the one I use with the dataSIM is 3ireland.ie

Note from my other posts that this is currently NOT working on 3 Italy (handset OR datacard). Nor is there HSDPA on 3UK.

Unless 3 have somehow locked down the APN on their phones, in that case you would need to re-flash the phone with standard Nokia firmware first. I don't think they'd go that far, though. You can change the APN I think.

Note that ALL connectivity settings (APN, MMSetc) on recent 3UK handsets are all locked (and described as such) and consequently are uneditable.

Another thing, when using the dataSIM in a handset the menu option to 'select operator' disappears :-( Bit of a nuisance when you end up on T-mobile around Portadown.

legs11 wrote:
    ok then, how does one obtain an APN for these data sims? anyone.....anyone.?¬!

The APN (to be be found in the settings that come with the datacard app) is 3ireland.ie

With Vodafone at least, you can find out the APN by looking at the connect software, which incidentally is office.vodafone.ie. Whereas the APN for Vodafone Live!, the equivalent of 3's 3G walled garden, is live.vodafone.ie. Your phone came pre-loaded with the walled garden APN, hence why it isn't letting you go outside of that. Have you looked at the connect software that came with your 3 data card? There should be connection settings/APN/password somewhere?

hs.vodafone.ie for HSDPA.

(Incidentally, I note that Voodoo are now offering the latest version of the Mac software for their USB modem on-site: I alerted two friends to its availability and they are both reporting a dramatic improvement in speed).

You're quite right, the APN for three is stored in the settings on the clunk-click Huawei app that is supplied with the datacard for Windows.

so basically you cant use a data sim with a 3 handset for web browsing then as you cant change the apn? i dont use a data card and have no idea about it.

legs11, have you gone into the phone settings and checked if you can change the settings? As it's a Symbian Series 60 phone, it should be easy to do. I have a Series 60 phone myself, also locked but not with 3, and was able to change the APN and add more APN's without hassle.

I input the APN manually on my unlocked 6630 (originally locked to 3 UK) without problem.

Does anyone believe that the datacard's APN (3ireland.ie) is different to any other 3 Ireland one, if such exist?

they are giving me a n73 by friday in exchange for this ****heap of a v3xx, when i get that i will see about the apn.

this moto is unreal, all the (bad) things i could say about it ... top of the list if the very poor, erratic sometimes non existing coverage, im wondering how motorola get away with releasing handsets like this in the first place.

plus have to charge this cnut of a phone every day, via my laptop. doesnt work on mains......was very close to hopping this off a wall last night. it switched off twice when i was ringing 333.

Motorola should just quit making phones.

I seem to recall, in the long week that I owned the horrible Motorola v3xx ,that I could not find anywhere to change the APN.

On the other hand, you will not enjoy HSDPA speeds from the N73 that your datacard's SIM is capable of.

• Advertisement

rather than losing my sanity with a v3xx i will cry out for slower speeds with a n73........oh please lord.

actually, just woke up to check my 365 account and was in bed with said v3xx, surprised to find 5 bars Hsdpa coverage, said grand. i will check out some news gossip.
    so after attempts to connect to the net i end up with zero coverage, i said fcuk that and threw the damn thing away.

felt bloody great

i emailed moto, their environment division:rolleyes: made them realise what a joke of a phone it was, they have no mobile phone dep to complain by email it seems.

and yes, no way to change an apn with this ridiculous phone.
    i would absolutely love to drive over this.

or else set lighter fuel to it and....oh you get the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

culabula wrote:
    Of course you can, it works perfectly. My dataSIM is permamently in an unlocked phone. Apart from using the web, I am also using fring to make and receive calls via Skype and MSN.

culabula, can you tell me if this sounds right:

if one has an unlocked (presumably it has to be 3g-enabled?) handset with a 3 datacard sim in it one should be able to edit the APN to 3ireland.ie and then use skype over their 3g network (to make AND receive calls) AND have "unlimited" internet access all for the flat fee of the datacard sim.

is that correct or is it a bit more complicated than that?
    also in non-3g areas can you use the datacard sim for both voice (skype) and data.

how much does that setup work out for you on average a month?

culabula wrote:
    I input the APN manually on my unlocked 6630 (originally locked to 3 UK) without problem.

Does anyone believe that the datacard's APN (3ireland.ie) is different to any other 3 Ireland one, if such exist?
    the APN on my phone is 3ireland.ie. are we all sure people have to chnage the APN to use it?
    legs11 wrote:
    they are giving me a n73 by friday in exchange for this ****heap of a v3xx, when i get that i will see about the apn.

this moto is unreal, all the (bad) things i could say about it
    aound here that's all you have to say. its a motorola. nuff said. they should be:

a) shut down or
    b) forced to use their own phones until their heads (or more likely their phones) explode

mkennedy wrote:
    culabula, can you tell me if this sounds right:

if one has an unlocked (presumably it has to be 3g-enabled?) handset with a 3 datacard sim in it one should be able to edit the APN to 3ireland.ie and then use skype over their 3g network (to make AND receive calls) AND have "unlimited" internet access all for the flat fee of the datacard sim.

is that correct or is it a bit more complicated than that?
    also in non-3g areas can you use the datacard sim for both voice (skype) and data.

how much does that setup work out for you on average a month?

Yes, that is quite correct, not complicated and is what I am currently doing.

But you do not have "unlimited" access to the internet, just 3GB per month (quite adequate for me).

As for non-3G areas, I don't know, but I doubt if the sound will be as good on Skype.

Finally, there is no reason with careful and responsible usage, why your bill should be more than 39,99 a month. The account is now able to be monitored via 333 or Planet 3.

the APN on my phone is 3ireland.ie. are we all sure people have to chnage the APN to use it?

My point exactly, I doubt if they have more than one APN.

Incidentally, received a Skype call on my 3 dataSIM (via fring) last night here in Belfast from friend using Skype on X-series (N73) from Dublin. Sound quality was exactly as if mobile-to-mobile. Absolutely fantastic (and free). She then hung up and rang me from her X-series to my Skype account on my MacBook -again top quality and indistinguishable from a normal voice call.

Outstanding!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭weeslip

was your friend signed up to x-series in the uk and using it whilst roaming in Dublin?

weeslip wrote:
    was your friend signed up to x-series in the uk and using it whilst roaming in Dublin?

Yes indeed; for the past 5 years she has been living in working in Dublin and running an Orange UK phone there (with the odd foray into Meteor PAYG), doing my head in with the folly of it all.

Finally coerced her into getting an X-series and porting her number to 3 UK, since the introduction of 3 like home. At last!

Apart from the saving on calls, she discovered the web on it last night and afterwards, Skype. Hallelujah.

The point was how well Skype/fring was running on on old 6630 with a 3 Ireland dataSIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭weeslip

mm, x-series is only supported on n73 and SE950i. not quite sure what your saying but sure its grand anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

X Series from Dublin? Has X Series been released in the Rep? 3 are constantly fobbing people off saying it'll be next month, next month? Or was he on a UK X Series tariff and just roaming? If he was then that's sad... proves that the network is up to the job & the phones work but that 3 are just holding out.

Advertisement