Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guitar Shops - Opinions please

Options
  • 07-03-2007 2:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭

Howye...

Does anyone have any preference when it comes to purchasing musical equipment in Galway? I'm in the market for a new guitar and the only shops I know are Modern Music (Agustine Street?) and Back to Music on Abbeygate Street.

Thanks,

G'luk.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Thats about it to be honest, Powell's also sell guitars as does Kieran Moloney who's by that alley near the King's Head.
    Just try as many guitars as you can in as many places as you can and don't get forced into a buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I bought a 15 watt fender amp in the one on augustine street a couple of years ago, I thought they gave a really good price on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

DonalN wrote:
    Howye...

Does anyone have any preference when it comes to purchasing musical equipment in Galway? I'm in the market for a new guitar and the only shops I know are Modern Music (Agustine Street?) and Back to Music on Abbeygate Street.

Thanks,

G'luk.

Dear lord, do NOT buy a guitar from the shops in Galway! Quite frankly, they're insanely overpriced, and the staff are pig-ignorant at the best of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Dear lord, do NOT buy a guitar from the shops in Galway! Quite frankly, they're insanely overpriced, and the staff are pig-ignorant at the best of times.

Seconded.

Instead, buy your guitars here

--> HUGE amount of Guitars, Basses, Pickups, Bass Amp, V-Amp Pro for sale! Get 'em while you can <--

eh!!?

Hmmm sure while we're at it... if you're looking for an amp...

• Advertisement

Instead, buy your guitars here

--> HUGE amount of Guitars, Basses, Pickups, Bass Amp, V-Amp Pro for sale! Get 'em while you can <--

eh!!?

Hmmm sure while we're at it... if you're looking for an amp...

So what you're saying is that my only reason in advising him to stay away from the local rip-off merchants is so that I can to flog my own stuff? Hardly... :rolleyes:

The fact of the matter is, I've already advised this guy where to buy in this thread here, and *SHOCK HORROR* it wasn't anything that I myself had to sell! :eek:

Couldn't be that I'd advice against going to the local guitar shops because they only stock hidiously overpriced entry-level guitars that you're guaranteed to be ripped off on, and the staff are ignorant and unhelpfull at the best of times? No, of course not! I must have some agenda, because those are actually really great shops with good prices and knowledgable, friendly staff, right? :rolleyes:

Sorry, I think I just used up my quota of sarcasm for the day.

Thank goodness it's all used up, was just trying a little tongue in cheek humour, and also poking fun at the fact that I carry an ad in my signature myself, I won't bother my nat king cole the next time...

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭DonalN

In fairness to yer man in Modern Music...I went in today and bought a mic, mic stand, set of acouctic bass strings, and a set of acoustic strings - all came to €101 and he took €90 for the lot...not bad...and of course the usual "can I take a couple of picks" as he swipes the credit card....

I won't bother my nat king cole the next time...

I like that expression. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

DonalN wrote:
    Does anyone have any preference when it comes to purchasing musical equipment in Galway?

yeah..DONT...:eek: :eek:

• Advertisement

I like that expression. :D

Feel free to use it, and claim it as your own ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

There's one particular employee of a music shop in Galway, that didn't know the prices of anything I enquired about! You'd have to wait for the owner to come back from his lunch or whatever to find out. The reason she/he is/was working there has nothing to do with an interest in Music I presume. Not going to say where as this person may have moved on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

If your willing to go as far as Headford, there's a German with a shop (093 36758) there by the name of Girt who deals with Thoman.de. He'll give you a good price and he certainly knows his stuff.

I could certainly make the trip out there if it saved me a few squid.

Was thinking of purchasing (strat) off the thomann site later this month.

I might give yer man a shout to see the price difference.

Thanks.

If your willing to go as far as Headford, there's a German with a shop (093 36758) there by the name of Girt who deals with Thoman.de. He'll give you a good price and he certainly knows his stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I'll be able to pick up 5 string Banjo strings in Galway.

Feel free to snigger at the phrase banjo string!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Wow, that Headford guy sounds sweet.
    I've never had a bad experience with Modern Music, mike does indeed know his stuff, as does the son, and they always always do me a decent deal. That said, I do live down the street from him...

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

both mike's know their stuff and have never been anything but friendly and helpful when ive gone in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bat boy

The lads in modern music are grand. I go in there alot and they always give a couple of quid of bass strings or whatever. Back to music on abbeygate street is the complete opposite, i wouldnt buy a plectrum off them. But it is true what some of the guys were saying above, if ya dont want to get ripped off just buy off thomann or musicstore. Irish music stores just dont seem to bother stocking good gear and the prices are generally way too high. Its not just a problem with galway music stores its all over the country.

went into Back to music yesterday, and there wasn't a Fender Strat, or a Gibson LP to be seen.!!!...

saw his missus in there too....reminded me of years ago (and I mean years!!), when I could only afford single strings if one broke (I was only 13 or something), and I was only learnin' as you know. I asked for a bottom E-string for a classical guitar (was going to say G-string, but want to avoid the jokes!), so she sold me a string, I went home, took it out of it's little packet, but it only went half-way up the fretboard - it was a bloody violin string!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

DonalN wrote:
    went into Back to music yesterday, and there wasn't a Fender Strat, or a Gibson LP to be seen.!!!...

saw his missus in there too....reminded me of years ago (and I mean years!!), when I could only afford single strings if one broke (I was only 13 or something), and I was only learnin' as you know. I asked for a bottom E-string for a classical guitar (was going to say G-string, but want to avoid the jokes!), so she sold me a string, I went home, took it out of it's little packet, but it only went half-way up the fretboard - it was a bloody violin string!!!!!
    When I got my first guitar in there as a child, my mammy wasn't too happy dealing with her at all, claiming she knew nothing!

I like the place. Even bought my second guitar there and flogged my first one -- they took it back despite the state it was in ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

bat boy wrote:
    The lads in modern music are grand. I go in there alot and they always give a couple of quid of bass strings or whatever. Back to music on abbeygate street is the complete opposite, i wouldnt buy a plectrum off them.

I have to agree with this. When I started playing the bass I was hunting around Galway for an instrument in my price range. This was before the advent of e-commerce so there was no ordering from Germany or whatever. Anyway, Back To Music had what looked like a nice Aria bass for sale. When I asked them could I play it I was refused. Now I was more than likely just another teenager to them coming into the shop and not buying anything but it meant that I simply went up the road to Modern Music and banged away on a Squire Precision for a while before making my purchase. That was quite a few years ago and except when I've been away from Galway, all my string/plectrum/strap purchases have been through Modern Music. Not to mention that I advise everyone I can not to deal with them

My most recent dealing with Back To Music was a couple of weeks ago. I was driving out of town when I remembered that I needed a low B string for my seven string guitar and Modern Music had none. My sister was with me and I double-parked outside and sent her in to buy it with the instructions to stress to them that it was a low, not a hight B that I needed. Does anyone care to guess what happened next? Yep, out she came with a high B. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I've heard nothing good about Back 2 music. The fans of it, care to elaborate why you like the place? I enjoy Modern Music as it's a very relaxed place to peruse the goods, they've no problem with you trying outthe goods, they won't patronise when you ask what the difference is between acoustic and electric strings. They're nice guys, and they know their ****, as well as being accomplished musicians. Whatever you're looking for regarding music, bands, people or instruments around Galway, they'll be able to advise, or point you in the direction of someone who will.

Modern Music is ok compared to Back to Music, I've gotten a few things off them now and again.

I'll generally buy small things in Powell's such as strings and plecs and things if I really need them and can't wait for a delivery. They're quite nice in there aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

wet-paint wrote:
    I've heard nothing good about Back 2 music. The fans of it, care to elaborate why you like the place?
    They must be doing something right as the shop has been there at least 11 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭The Freeman

they have the contracts with the some bigger companies for the west of ireland(or at the very least galway) e.g. if you wanted your marshall fixed it would be himself and it would prob take atleast 3 months or if you wanted to buy a marshall he'd be the man.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭singloud

I'm awful on names but the one near Charlie Byrnes is a good place, keep in mind it is a local shop so the prices are fairly high. The young guy who works there was extremely helpful when I was buying my first guitar and they let you play even when it's fairlyobvious your a snot nosed teen who's not going to buy anything.

If your fairly sure of yourself you could try this site:
    www.music-town.de
    I bought a Fender Lite Ash telecaster from that site which suits me very well and the prices were fantastic, the shipping was free to Belgium but I have no idea how much it could go up for Ireland.

If your in Dublin give Capel street a try, there's a couple if guitar shops that are pretty damn good.

Advertisement