Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Broadband Connection Keeps Dropping

Options
  • 07-03-2007 7:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hello everyone. I have a UTV Clicksilver 3mb wireless broadband connection which for the past few days has been frequently dropping. Sometimes it comes back on after a few seconds by itself but more often than not I have to switch the BT Voyager 2110 router off and on to reconnect. The DSL light always remains on when the connection drops..just the internet one goes out and when clicking on the wireless network icon in the task bar it tells me I'm connected eventhough my connection to the internet is gone. I rang UTV ts and they told me to disconnect the home phone and Sky digibox from the phone lines but that made no difference. I then wired the router directly to my laptop with an ethernet cable...still no joy! I was hoping then I just had a dodgey router and re-installed my old Zyxel adsl usb modem but that disconnects too. I rang UTV again who were at a loss as to what the problem could be and said they'd log it with Eircom. Has anyone had similar problems or could it be a fault with the line? Any input would be greatly appreciated as this is doing me head in. Thanx for reading :)

Oh, and the girl at UTV also told me that I shouldn't have a 3mb connection in the Republic as we can't handle the speed! But they didn't mention that when I upgraded last year!!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

oprez13 wrote:
    Hello everyone. I have a UTV Clicksilver 3mb wireless broadband connection which for the past few days has been frequently dropping. Sometimes it comes back on after a few seconds by itself but more often than not I have to switch the BT Voyager 2110 router off and on to reconnect. The DSL light always remains on when the connection drops..just the internet one goes out and when clicking on the wireless network icon in the task bar it tells me I'm connected eventhough my connection to the internet is gone. I rang UTV ts and they told me to disconnect the home phone and Sky digibox from the phone lines but that made no difference. I then wired the router directly to my laptop with an ethernet cable...still no joy! I was hoping then I just had a dodgey router and re-installed my old Zyxel adsl usb modem but that disconnects too. I rang UTV again who were at a loss as to what the problem could be and said they'd log it with Eircom. Has anyone had similar problems or could it be a fault with the line? Any input would be greatly appreciated as this is doing me head in. Thanx for reading :)

Oh, and the girl at UTV also told me that I shouldn't have a 3mb connection in the Republic as we can't handle the speed! But they didn't mention that when I upgraded last year!!

Is there a facility with the Voyager 2110 to check your line stats? You line quality could have deteriorated and is not up to handling the 3Mb speed. See if you can establish your line stats and post back here with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 oprez13

I think this is what you're after? Thanx for your reply :)

btlinestats.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

My utv account has been up and down for the last few days as well. It was particulary bad on monday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

when it was working did you find it any good? I have utv 2mb and was sort of considering the 3mb but not sure if it's worth the extra.

when it was working did you find it any good? I have utv 2mb and was sort of considering the 3mb but not sure if it's worth the extra.

What kind of speeds are you getting with the 2mb? On 3mb with my wireless router I get an average of 1.5mb - 1.9mb download which is more like a 2mb connection if I'm not mistaken so I dunno, maybe you're better off staying on 2mb. The main reasons I stay with UTV at all is the price is the best AND I have unlimited usage.

• Advertisement

Beano wrote:
    My utv account has been up and down for the last few days as well. It was particulary bad on monday night.

Mine was desperate Monday night too and last night. So far today it's only dropped twice but as sure as Jaysus it'll drop again now that I've just said that!

i've more or less the exact same speeds with 2mb so i'll stick with it..

i've more or less the exact same speeds with 2mb so i'll stick with it..
    And I think I'll "downgrade" to 2mb and get the exact same speeds I'm getting now :rolleyes:

my only odd problem is that the contention ratio is higher on the 2mb, so at peak times it can be slow for a couple of hours.

my only odd problem is that the contention ratio is higher on the 2mb, so at peak times it can be slow for a couple of hours.
    Well yeah but you'd basically be paying for 3mb and getting 2mb cos like yer one said...Eircom told them that 3mb speeds aren't really possible in the Republic. I'm taking em to Judge Judy! She'll sort em out!

• Advertisement

oprez13 wrote:
    Well yeah but you'd basically be paying for 3mb and getting 2mb cos like yer one said...Eircom told them that 3mb speeds aren't really possible in the Republic. I'm taking em to Judge Judy! She'll sort em out!

Your line stats look pretty ok - have a look at these links there's some interesting information there:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

I think your line should be well capable of handling the 3Mb. And it is nonsense what the utv rep told you - UTV will blame Eircom if the weather changes!

Have you tried raising your problems in the utv support group.

It is interesting that some utv customers seem to be experiencing similar problems to BT customers as utv seem to have some sort of technical relationship with BT.

dub45 wrote:
    Your line stats look pretty ok - have a look at these links there's some interesting information there:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

I think your line should be well capable of handling the 3Mb. And it is nonsense what the utv rep told you - UTV will blame Eircom if the weather changes!

Have you tried raising your problems in the utv support group.

It is interesting that some utv customers seem to be experiencing similar problems to BT customers as utv seem to have some sort of technical relationship with BT.
    I didn't know there was a UTV support group. Thanx for the tip.

Since I was last on an Eircom engineer called over and checked out my line. A fault showed up on his gadget (a red light came on) and as soon as he disconnected the Sky box from the phone socket sharing the Router connection the light went green indicating no fault and so far so good with the broadband connection now. Sky of course insist the box is connected to a phone socket at all times well if it's causing faults I'm leaving it out!!

Thanx for your help again and checking out those stats :)

oprez13 wrote:
    I didn't know there was a UTV support group. Thanx for the tip.

Since I was last on an Eircom engineer called over and checked out my line. A fault showed up on his gadget (a red light came on) and as soon as he disconnected the Sky box from the phone socket sharing the Router connection the light went green indicating no fault and so far so good with the broadband connection now. Sky of course insist the box is connected to a phone socket at all times well if it's causing faults I'm leaving it out!!

Thanx for your help again and checking out those stats :)

you need to put news.utvinternet.com into your news reader (outlook express will do fine) and then you will find utv support. I had the same problem a few years ago (was on dial up at the time) a badly wired connection to the phone socket by the sky installer was messing up things.

dub45 wrote:
    you need to put news.utvinternet.com into your news reader (outlook express will do fine) and then you will find utv support. I had the same problem a few years ago (was on dial up at the time) a badly wired connection to the phone socket by the sky installer was messing up things.
    Stop! The guy who installed Sky was useless. I had to get someone else around to re-align the dish after he left and I do remember him having problems with the phone line too so God only knows what he did!!!

I spoke too soon! It's STLL dropping :mad:

Apparently it's not just me...and it's not just UTV! The whole town is suffering from this. Seemingly there's a problem with the exchange in Roscrea but of course Eircom says there's not. Well then why are we all getting disconnected at regular intervals!? *deep breaths*

Advertisement