Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spooky places?

Options
  • 07-03-2007 8:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

Are there any haunted houses or spooky places in limerick city? i know people saying the graveyard on John Sq. is suspicious (the Daghda space).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I know you said Limerick city, but if your ever head out to Murroe and go into Glenstal Abbey, now that place is freaky, especially with the castle there, and when you drive through there at night and you see the monks walking along with their long cloaks, looks like their walking on air...*shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Try curraghchase, up by the old house. Weird out, at nighttime!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Again in the county, but there's always the Temple of Crom (Yes the baddie from Conan was named after him! ), out by Loch Gur.

Crom Dubh was the Celtic God of the dead, and this was his high temple about 3 thousand years ago.
    It's the biggest stone circle in Ireland, and the whole area is fairly spooky seeing as there have been dozens of human remains found there, and this was the "home" for the God of Death for most of Europe at the time!
    Linky

Also, try Cnoc Aine.
    Aine was Celtic Goddess of Fertility, and her temple was out by Hospital, Co Limerick.
    She was so powerfully worshiped that when the Christians came, they "adopted" her as a Saint (Saint Anne), in order to get the locals to convert.
    Her temple is a fairly special place too.
    Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Interesting thread. I know we have a Paranormal Forum but would love to see what people come up with when threads like this are done in regional forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Hello,

Thanks for your input.

I'm probably watching to much Yvette Fielding in "Most Haunted" on LIVING. :D Aren't there no houses in Limerick with a weird story and a White Lady? ;)

@6th: didn't thought at all about the paranormal forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Just talking from what I know (mostly Dublin) but though people look for big spooky old houses and derelict buildings there are alot of haunted regular homes.

Seems that you get clusters of them together in estates etc but because few talk about it they never reaslise neighbours are having the same experiences.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I know you said Limerick city, but if your ever head out to Murroe and go into Glenstal Abbey, now that place is freaky, especially with the castle there, and when you drive through there at night and you see the monks walking along with their long cloaks, looks like their walking on air...*shudders*

Heh I went to school there....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

There's a house just outside Adare called Alta Villa. Some really strange stuff is supposed to go on out there at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

The mens loos in Charlie St. Georges pub is haunted by a female ghost.
    Mind you i'm dubious about drunk people claiming they've seen ghosts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Crea wrote:
    The mens loos in Charlie St. Georges pub is haunted by a female ghost.
    Mind you i'm dubious about drunk people claiming they've seen ghosts.

Might be one of those "O'Curry Street Ghosts"? Ha ha ha ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

try walking around the top of o malley at 2 in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Thomond Bridge is haunted by the ghost of a Bishop's wife, and reputedly, the Dunnes Stores on Sarsfield bridge is also haunted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Several times while crossing the bridge and near the cannons outside
    King Johns castle.........
    I remember as a child being told by my grandmother about the ghost
    of a woman appearing on a balcony of King Johns Castle.

Also I remember some pub was it the Old Tom ?? or another one that
    was near where Mike and Katies chipper was past O'Curry st.
    There was talk about people seeing a Man that walked through walls.
    This was reported by several people including Tourists that had
    never heard of any stories about the place being "Haunted"
    Around 1994 I remember once walking to College and on the way there
    was a fire engine with hoses running through the interior aparently after
    putting out a fire and the rumor at the time was they could not determine
    that cause of the fire that was started.

Again only stories that I have heard so I cant back them up with any proof!!!! ;-P

I would be a Non-Believer in all that stuff myself
    as I love giving the ol Skeptics handbook
    a read but the stories were interesting all the same.

~B

Yeah the Old Tom on Thomas street is supposedly haunted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Curraghchase house is haunted.....when i was 10 i was out there with my Youth Club and a few of us including a leader saw a ghostly figure on the steps of the house....i refuse to go back to curraghchase because i strongly believe it was a ghost, i heard about how there was a fire out there years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

Curraghchase house is haunted.....when i was 10 i was out there with my Youth Club and a few of us including a leader saw a ghostly figure on the steps of the house....i refuse to go back to curraghchase because i strongly believe it was a ghost, i heard about how there was a fire out there years ago.
    Ya a lot of scout groups go there and they all have stories like that. Years ago in the scouts we were leaving Curraghchase at about 2 in the morning, and 2 or 3 of us were lagging behind and a guy jumped out with a mask on, worst fright ever, i'll never forget it.

Also climb over the wall at the back and go into the house, very scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

The olde Tom,now that brings back memories...:) There must be somthing about that pub,coz it has gone thru at least 4or6 different ownerships and name changes,and none of them have EVER been sucessful.It's closed down at the moment .after trying to be a cocktail bar...

Other places.
    Thomond bridge apprently some husband tried to drown his wife or lover a few hundred years ago by throwing her over.Supposedly mid point of the bridge there is /was a stone with what looked like a womans handprint where she held on,and on the date in question you can hear her screams at night etc etc.
    Theres a job for somone.Gather up all the local ghost stories of Limerick,before they are all lost,as the aul ones die off,all the good stories and I was told rakes of them as a kid,and cant remember them now.

Oh ,ya Atlas ave on the Dock rd.That whole area in the early 60s was the town and county dump on the plants side!!!:eek: About mid way down,a body of a prostitute was dumped there.Some people who worked in the old wood veneer mill,before it became a foundry,claimed to have seen a woman in old Irish 60 attire walking around there looking very bewilderd...

Curraghchase,deffo
    Have nothing but bad"vibes"gut feeling,etc if I am ever out there in that area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BarryCreed

I remember camping out overnight in curraghchase about 15 years ago. Creepy as f**k out there. I remember the fog stopping at the edge of the lake, and the big house in the distance, always get a spooky feeling up by the house, the windows are all bricked up, and you just wonder what's behind those walls....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

boo!!!!!!

Drunkin thady and the bishops lady ain't that the story about thomond bridge.

My friend camps in curraghchase weekly and never mentioned anything.

Mungret graveyard is fairly creepy.

My other friend used to work security at night in dunnes sarsfield st. He told us few spooky things about that place.

I know its outside limerick but on the way to cork before mallow where that quarry is on the left there is a house that was supposedly on the discovery channel as being most haunted.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Oh my God! The stuff that went on there a few years ago, I had completely forgotten until I just saw this post. My best friend managed that place about 9 years ago and alot of strange things happened there during that time. It got so bad she left and before she left would not be in the pub alone. She was petrified. The manager that worked there before her told her to keep out of upstairs as glasses flew across the room. One day we went in and the door for the basement was covered in blue bottles. Where they came from was unknown and then they were gone, suddenly. That is just a fraction of what went on in the few months we went in there, alot of it after hours. That place needs to be closed, the owners seem to be scared away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Time to call these guys then:

Ghostbusters.jpg
    ghostbusters.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

Stab*City wrote: »
    boo!!!!!!

Drunkin thady and the bishops lady ain't that the story about thomond bridge.

My other friend used to work security at night in dunnes sarsfield st. He told us few spooky things about that place.

Yep, Michael Hogan wrote a great epic about Drunken Thady.

Isn't there supposed to be a room in that Dunnes Stores which the staff refuse to enter? Heard it's well creepy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 KrazyLikeafox

Heard a story about Gallows Hill near Limerick, where the couple were walking up there and there was a man dressed in black, long coat, hat etc.. just standing on this mound around a bend in the road, they passed him, and then though its best to return to their car, as they didnt trust him.. but when they turned around he was gone...

And there was nothing but flat land all around...
    And this story was told by a very down to earth person who wouldnt believe in all that... but at the the same time cant explain what happened.. and doesnt even like talking about it...

kinda spooky...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

actually yea i heard stories about gallows hill years ago but cant really recall them now. i was too young when i heard them from my grandfather. but wasnt that the place where they use to hang criminals.

i know this sounds insane but id love to go see some of these places to see if they are really haunted.

while i believe to a degree that paranormal events do occur. i also know that hallucination's and over active imaginations play a good deal in these stories. not to mention some1 trying to just take the piss by making up stories.

if any1 is interested in finding out...............

we should get a group together:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

i just started a new thread that you guys might be interested in. id love if ye brought yer stories over

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055307369

at least just pay a visit to say hi and keep the thread alive

thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭knightmare

Know someone who is convinced he saw a ghost in the old city theatre, I think it is the belltable now. He was locking up one night & saw a woman upstairs went up she was no where to be seen & hadn't passed him on the way down. He has been adamant for years it was a ghost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

there was a ghost in thaat buildin that was the high stool/the rack/lapello. was most active when the strip club was there, she seemed to object. used to work there, and was driven out of the pub a few times during after hours. saw her in the reflection of a mirror in the back bar, and lots of times got pushed out the door. the door would slam shut behind us, but it shouldnt be able to because it was on one of those slow-close springs. glasses were thrown about, strange stuff, and definitely not a prank cos everyone left there would have been sitting round the front.

also, they had knocked half the third floor out to make the second floors ceiling much higher. on the third floor there was a door boarded up that led to nothing on the other side, but a few times we heard footsteps coming up the "hallway" and knocks at the door", it was at least a 15ft drop on the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Heard a story about Gallows Hill near Limerick, where the couple were walking up there and there was a man dressed in black, long coat, hat etc.. just standing on this mound around a bend in the road, they passed him, and then though its best to return to their car, as they didnt trust him.. but when they turned around he was gone...

And there was nothing but flat land all around...
    And this story was told by a very down to earth person who wouldnt believe in all that... but at the the same time cant explain what happened.. and doesnt even like talking about it...

kinda spooky...

I walk up there quite a bit. Its an usual place. Especially at night....if its cold foggy and theres no wind! Can be very very scary! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Stab*City wrote: »

My friend camps in curraghchase weekly and never mentioned anything.

I went there at night last year, nothing unusual to report.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭rstans

Ted's nightclub can be spooky of a Tuesday naght. weird feelings of lonliness.

Advertisement