Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build from Dell.

Options
  • 07-03-2007 9:56am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

What do people think of this new build from Dell?

Any advice would be appriciated.

In particular im interested in the graphics card of this machine.
    SYSTEM COMPONENTS

DimensionTM 9200(D03925B) Qty 1
    Intel® Viiv™ Core™ 2 Duo E6400 Processor (2.13GHz, 1066MHz, 2MB), Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium - English Unit Price Incl. VAT € 1,202.91
    Catalog Number: 5102 D03925B
    Module Description Show Details
    Base Intel® Viiv™ Core™ 2 Duo E6400 Processor (2.13GHz, 1066MHz, 2MB)
    Microsoft Operating System Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium - English
    Memory 2048MB Dual Channel DDR2 667MHz [2x1024] Memory
    Keyboard Logitech™ Cordless Desktop™ MX3000 Laser Keyboard & Mouse) - UK/Irish
    Monitor Dell™ 20" Black Wide Flat Panel (E207WFP) - UK/Irish
    Video Card 256MB ATI® Radeon® X1300 Pro PCI Express graphics card
    Hard Drive 500GB Serial ATA RAID 0 Stripe [2x250GB 7200rpm drives with DataBurst™ cache]
    Floppy Drives Internal 13-in-1 Media Card Reader
    Mouse Mouse Included in Wireless Keyboard and Mouse option
    Modem No Modem
    CD/DVD Drives 16X DVD+/-RW Drive
    Sound Cards Integrated Audio with Dolby Digital 7.1 capability
    Speakers No Speakers
    Shipping Documents 9200 English Documentation with UK Power Cord
    Gedis Bundle Reference List D03925b Dimension 9200
    Microsoft Application Software Microsoft® Works 8.0 - English
    Standard Warranty Collect & Return, 1 Year Service only
    Cover It with Dell Support Services Collect & Return, 1 Year Service only
    AntiVirus & Security Software No Security/Anti-Virus Protection - English
    Digital Photography No digital photo sharing or editing software selected.
    Order Information Dimension Order - Ireland
    Money Off Savings Save Euro 80 inc VAT
    Dell System Media Kit Dimension Resource DVD for Vista (Diagnostics & Drivers)
    Dell Internet Order Dell Internet Order.
    TOTAL Incl. VAT:€ 1,202.91

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well Dell don't offer a whole lot of choice in their component picker but it's not a bad system at all given your getting a 20" LCD wide screen with it. The CPU is a good one and 2GB of RAM is the optimal amount for Vista.

Be aware it's not all that useful for gaming if you are planning on it with the X1300 Pro in it but besides that it's up to the task for everything else.

You may want to run the PC Decrapifier on it as Dell still chuck some stuff on the machines even though you say no to certain products like the photo software etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Thanks,

I was thinking of upgrading to a 22" moitor that dell have on special offer.

Also might upgrade the graphics card to a 256MB nVidia® GeForce® 7900GS graphics card for and extra 218 euros.
    Dont think its worth it though.

Also might get a sound card but at a later date.

Does vista support Raid 1 mirroring on its HD?

For the display I'd go with the 20" one marked as the 2007FPW for an extra €157 those are the high quality panels.

Don't bother with the 7900GS for €218 NVIDIA's Direct-X 10 cards will be here in mid April and be as fast as if not faster than the 7900GS for perhaps the same price though if your not really a gamer then you don't need that kind of power in the first place.

RAID 1 is done through hardware usually not software for home setups in other words there is a hardware RAID controller on the motherboard and in it's bios it will create the RAID 1 array to which the OS installs on through a driver it just appears as a regular HD to the OS.

Dell will take care of all that anyway for you if you specify it, you can do it yourself as well of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Larry_o_C

Modem No Modem

Excuse my ignorance but would you not want a modem?!

Larry_o_C wrote:

If you already have DSL broadband {or through other means} there is no need for a 56K modem.

I haven't a 56k modem attached to any of my PC's in years.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

yep dsl is they way forward now since about 2001

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Larry_o_C wrote:

Very few use a modems these days which are associated with 56k phone lines, Its nearly broadband now which use the Rj-45 network port or wireless network adapters.
    Frank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I have a few 56k modems at home. I haven't used them in years, but I just can't bear to throw them out...I'm terrible for accumulating atrociously pointless rubbish. I even have some ISA cards - I know for a fact I will never, ever use them. Why do I still have them? Hmm...

Advertisement