Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any resources for a self build without a central heating system?

• 07-03-2007 11:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭

As energy costs spiral into the future, I would love to know what info is available on building a home which is so well insulated that it wouldn't need an expensive central heating system. Maybe a wood burning stove could be installed purely for those rare sub zero nights in our ever warming climate.

Does anybody have any links to providers/research on this type of building method?

I find it incredible to believe that a home will not only cost you for the initial installation of both insulation and central heating, but that you then have to shell out an ever increasing amount on running costs for that system in its lifetime.
    I read recently of a guy in the US who built a house in the Rockies in the mid eighties which had such good insulation that it only needed a small stove to get it comfortable when the temperature was reaching -20 to -40 degrees outside.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

scaldybelt wrote:
    As energy costs spiral into the future, I would love to know what info is available on building a home which is so well insulated that it wouldn't need an expensive central heating system. Maybe a wood burning stove could be installed purely for those rare sub zero nights in our ever warming climate.

Does anybody have any links to providers/research on this type of building method?

I find it incredible to believe that a home will not only cost you for the initial installation of both insulation and central heating, but that you then have to shell out an ever increasing amount on running costs for that system in its lifetime.
    I read recently of a guy in the US who built a house in the Rockies in the mid eighties which had such good insulation that it only needed a small stove to get it comfortable when the temperature was reaching -20 to -40 degrees outside.
    You could fit a small woodburner as you suggested, or if you don't mind paying a little electricity you could fit a air to air heat pump and use that to heat your house and cool it in summer, of course you would also specify a Heat heat recovery ventilation system to retain your heat and keep the house dry.
    as you say a well insulated house that has paid attention to passive solar heating, and airtightness and insulation will pay for itself long term

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

Hi,

A few bits and pieces

SEI's Guide to Building an Energy Efficient Home
    http://www.sei.ie/uploadedfiles/InfoCentre/Buildingenergyeffhome.pdf

SEI's Guide to Renewable Energy in the Home is also available from the SEI website and is a good read.

Info on Grant available for Renewable Energy Systems in the home
    http://www.selfbuildinireland.com/article.php?start=0&articleId=9

Hope that helps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭scaldybelt

Thanks for these details/links.

Very useful.

Advertisement