Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Its this really a crew cab???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

just looking at the revenues website and IMO their saying two different things regarding Crew cabs:

http://www.revenue.ie/pdf/05_01_CETI_06.pdf

look at part 5 ,3 (b) "cargo area not exceeding 45% of wheelbase"

and then part 5, 8 (ii) "floor length not less then 45% of wheelbase"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

Mc-BigE wrote:
    Spotted this on carzone, it does look legit, but would a DOE garage turn it away the next time it’s due a test?

I thought the space behind the crew cab area had to be bigger than the crew space itself?

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=610672

I would check out insurance on it first before i would touch it!!!!, some these vehicles can be classed in a grey area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭skibum

Yes it is legit, the rear seats had to be moved forward a few inches so the cargo area behind the steel bulkhead meet the required area. These were produced before new regulations came into force.

skibum wrote:
    These were produced before new regulations came into force.

what regulations are those?

added:

and what exactly is the required area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

skibum wrote:
    Yes it is legit, the rear seats had to be moved forward a few inches so the cargo area behind the steel bulkhead meet the required area. These were produced before new regulations came into force.

surly the only regulation should be just black out the back windows.

• Advertisement

its interesting to have a look at the commercial section of carzone.ie and see the range of "interesting" off road commericals like Range Rover, BMW X5, Audi Q7 etc.

Some of the pictures of the cars still have there rear seats installed.
    Are these commercial?

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?buttonSelected=2

surly the only regulation should be just black out the back windows.
    I was looking at getting a VW transporter combi, which is a van with a second row of seats, steel bulk head behind those seats. The area behind the bulkhead (cargo area) must fall within strict guidelines, have no windows and not be accesable form the passanger compartment. To meet current guidelines the combi is based on the long wheel base version as the short wheel base version of the transporter wouldn't have the required cargo area when converted. The windows in the cargo area must be removed and replaced with metal panels.
    On a side note the new vw golf car vans have the rear side windows removed, steel panels installed with a black shiney coating on them making them look like tinted windows, looks good.

@Mc-BigE, regarding the regulations etc I rang the VRT office in rosslare and got talking to a very nice lady who went through every thing, explaining what could and couldn't be done.
    Give them a ring, they seem to be more "customer friendly" these days ;)

skibum wrote:
    I was looking at getting a VW transporter combi, which is a van with a second row of seats, steel bulk head behind those seats. The area behind the bulkhead (cargo area) must fall within strict guidelines, have no windows and not be accesable form the passanger compartment. To meet current guidelines the combi is based on the long wheel base version as the short wheel base version of the transporter wouldn't have the required cargo area when converted. The windows in the cargo area must be removed and replaced with metal panels.
    On a side note the new vw golf car vans have the rear side windows removed, steel panels installed with a black shiney coating on them making them look like tinted windows, looks good.

@Mc-BigE, regarding the regulations etc I rang the VRT office in rosslare and got talking to a very nice lady who went through every thing, explaining what could and couldn't be done.
    Give them a ring, they seem to be more "customer friendly" these days ;)

So, if someone buys the kia shown in the first post, when it comes to taxing it again, its possible they could be refused because the kia looks to me like it wouldn't pass to new regulations i.e. glass windows/cargo area too small, and you could be looking at 1100 road tax a year bill for private road tax and maybe even a vrt classification change from B to A, which could also mean an extra payment to the VRO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Yea there are some serious grey areas out there for commercial.
    One of my mates drives a Toyota Hilux Surf. and was trying to get it classed as commercial. looooooong story (about two years long) short his is the sports model and because the chassie slopes slightly he cant get it changed. cost him 1300 to get taxed aswell... Damn 3ltr supercharged engines :rolleyes:

Mc-BigE wrote:
    So, if someone buys the kia shown in the first post, when it comes to taxing it again, its possible they could be refused because the kia looks to me like it wouldn't pass to new regulations i.e. glass windows/cargo area too small, and you could be looking at 1100 road tax a year bill for private road tax and maybe even a vrt classification change from B to A, which could also mean an extra payment to the VRO.

No, it was produced / sold before current changes, I know of one business in Bray that has one of these on the road and his tax was commerical and in date not so long ago.

As far as I can remember when I looked at the Kia, the windows are still in place but the cargo area is paneled over on the inside apart from a small glass window to allow the driver to still use the rear view mirror

Like I said give the guys a call, when I was looking into this they were very nice and helpful. Then you will get all the answers to your questions from the horses mouth so to speak!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The new regulations don't apply to vehicles registered before they came out. so the likes of Land Cruiser Amazons with dropped rear floors, Kia Sedonas with a missing row of seats etc. are all ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Mc-BigE wrote:
    its interesting to have a look at the commercial section of carzone.ie and see the range of "interesting" off road commericals like Range Rover, BMW X5, Audi Q7 etc.

Some of the pictures of the cars still have there rear seats installed.
    Are these commercial?

http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?buttonSelected=2
    My boss has a landcruiser amazon. He got the rear seats moved forward and has the cabine seperated from the rear space. Did this up the north when he bought it and then brought it into the south as a commercial.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I taxed a sedona combi comercially last week no problem.

You need a DOE - commercial NCT
    (oddly you need to pay an extra €6 to get the motor tax office to convert the DOE into a certificate of roadworthiness)
    a Weight Docket - confirmed weight from an authorised weighbridge. (€27.50)
    RF111 - declaration that the vehicle will not be used for private/pleasure use

These vehicles were all converted prior to the change in Crew Cab rules, so as long as they remain commercial vehicles that can be taxed commercially. This applies to all crew cabs to the best of my knowledge including the crew cab pickup, D-MAX, LS200s, etc. If they are used for private use they should be taxed as a private use vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

A builder lad I know has 1 of of these, it was classed as a commercial and taxed as such and he had to Doe it and all that. Theres 2 rows of seats and than a big storage area. It shouldnt matter to you if its classed as a crewcab or not,,,, is the fact that its commercial not what you need to know?

Anyway, there a nice enough yoke, plenty of power and the inside of them are nice too, big armrests and very comfortable, seem to be well finished. The only thing he didnt like about it was he found the suspension very soft, he done a lot of driving up and down to Donegal and the roads up there didnt agree with it, apart from that i dont think he`s had any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Light commercial rules were changed in 2002 which classed crew cabs as 50 euro VRT,this made crew cabs very popular. So as not to lose too much revenue the government changed the rules again in March 2003 to 13.5% VRTon crewcabs,that car is perfectly legal as its a van conversion(3rd row seats welded up,windows blacked out) based on crewcab rules of the day.

Advertisement