Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb cap a joke?

Options
  • 07-03-2007 12:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I've recently got Digiweb's dsl xtra package installed & the speed is great & I've had no technical issues so far but I recently discovered,after checking my net useage so far on mytraffic.digiweb.ie that the 40gb cap they say u have is calculated on boht your downloads & your uploads?

:eek:

No other company in ireland does that,not even thieving Eircom would have the cheek to do that.

If I'd have known that I would have gone elsewhere & will certainly be cancelling my serv ice with them as soon as my 6mnth contract is up as that limit is just unworkable for me as I need to upload & download huge files for work.

what a joke!

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I'm pretty sure that almost all broadband company's in Ireland with a cap calculate usage in both download and upload. Simple reality is if your uploading and downloading huge files as you say you probably should of looked into a business style broadband package, Its a little late now whining about it if you didn't read the fine print.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I moved from digiweb a couple of weeks ago (for different reasons) but UTV aren't bad. You can get unlimited (acceptable usage policy applies) usage for 25.99 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Yes 40GB up and down and unless you're a greedy b******d that's pretty ample. The fact that it is a rolling cap is extremely fair IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 colin74

40gb traffic ample?

40 gb download owuld be more than ample on a per month basis but to limit your uploads aswell?

They are taking the mickey there,like I said no other company in Ireland do it...or to mention anywhere else in Europe.

It's a joke! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

NTL/Chorus do it for starters.

If you dont do anything near 40GB then you dont need broadband.

• Advertisement

I have had the Digiweb package for over a year and owing to work/interest would download a lot. Even in a heavy month I would not hit 40GB. Even when you go over it just chokes your access until you go under again. I see nothing at all wrong with that model. TBH if you are that unhappy with them move as soon as you can. It does actually say in the package that it is 40GB upload and download. So they are not actually doing anything wrong.

CiaranC wrote:
    NTL/Chorus do it for starters.

Well you obviously have never had to work with dialup in business. Broadband is not just for bit torrent. A lot of small business customers out there don't care that it's 20Gb or 40GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

colin74 wrote:
    They are taking the mickey there,like I said no other company in Ireland do it...or to mention anywhere else in Europe.
    This is completly untrue almost all companys with a cap do it this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Esat did it when I was on there, Digiweb do it now. It is standard dude. Do a bit more research before you go nuts with your post OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Eircom do it too. For example, they have a 10 GB download cap and a 1 GB upload cap. That's a lot less flexible, because you could easily upload 1 GB but still not have used up all of your download allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

colin74 wrote:
    40gb traffic ample?

40 gb download owuld be more than ample on a per month basis but to limit your uploads aswell?

Well lets see ...Eircom has a 1 or 2 Gig upload limit (depending what package you get) and can charge you a few cent for every meg over that even if you havent used the full 10 or 20 Gig total bandwidth limit. ....Their Business Pro version has a 30 total upload and download limit.
    The only company (that im aware of) that gives an "unlimited bandwidth" option is UTVInternet. UTV charge a few extra euro a month for it. It might be worth it. BUT they still have a "fair usage" policy. They throttle your download speeds when you are making "excessive" use of bandwidth. They dont say what "excessive" is for them.
    All the rest have Limits of some sort in their packages!!!

NO company in the world can give you unlimited bandwidth its just not a financially or technical possibility.

You should have done your homework before deciding who to sign up with.

P.S. I have no commercial connections to any of the above companies apart from been a customer of theirs in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 colin74

eircom's equivalent package to mine has no upload limit & 30gb's download limit per month.

& costs 48 euro's a month.

I was probably better off going with them,although they have a terrible customer service & satisfaction record.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

We have 4 to 5 of us and rarely run more than 15Gbyte. That includes Skype, Online gmes, Debian & Centos & Ubuntu installs/ ISOs and Windows Updats.

ISPs With no stated Cap and a "fair use" policy tend to throttle heavy users and also you don't know where you stand. They can do what they like. They decide what the fair use is.

Up or down makes little difference to ISP, overall they pay for traffic.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

CiaranC wrote:
    I don't do anything near 40GB. I desperately need broadband, to the extent that I can't work without it.

I was referring to the home user package referenced by the OP. The TOS on most of these services states they are for recreational/educational use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

BT have seperate up/down cap of 30Gb each way and I crush both of them each month - this painful waiting till next month :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭JohnC.

CiaranC wrote:
    What nonsense is this? Even if you only download 10 GB, you realistically want broadband. Unless you really like the torture of downloading that much on dial-up, with all that waiting and disconnections and tying up the phone line. Or if you want to take a modern games console online, you will require broadband, even if you don't even use 500MB per month. Broadband isn't just about downloading massive amounts of data, above 40GB.

Kahless wrote:
    What nonsense is this? Even if you only download 10 GB, you realistically want broadband. Unless you really like the torture of downloading that much on dial-up, with all that waiting and disconnections and tying up the phone line. Or if you want to take a modern games console online, you will require broadband, even if you don't even use 500MB per month. Broadband isn't just about downloading massive amounts of data, above 40GB.
    Who are these people who own modern consoles and do 500MB a month? A single demo or video on 360 would put you over that, no?

Granted, not everyone uses broadband like I do. It just seems...such a waste :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭JohnC.

CiaranC wrote:
    Who are these people who own modern consoles and do 500MB a month? A single demo or video on 360 would put you over that, no?
    If you are just playing games, it wouldn't use too much. And the PS2 and Wii don't have much in the way of downloadable content like video, but still require broadband. Same with DS and PSP.

PS2 works nice in our DMZ on router. It doesn't eat much, but not possible
    at all without broadband.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't Irish ISP's have fixed cost traffic to INEX and only have to pay extra for foreign sites ?

Or would you be less likely to be capped if you tried to keep traffic on the Island.

Don't NTL have a 1GB a day limit or somesuch too.

And yes I've heard of other ISP's a wireless one that wasn't IBB ? who just put the biggest leechers on the same pipe so they contend with each other.

On the continent some people didn't upgrade from 10 to 100mb because there was a cap on the 100mb and none on the 10mb. cant find the link as that was years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Don't Irish ISP's have fixed cost traffic to INEX and only have to pay extra for foreign sites ?

As far as I'm aware the only thing you pay to INEX is for your membership and the port(s) you are connected to.

But the problem is the ratio of irish sites to everything else is quite small. Hell someone pointed out recently that gaa.ie is actually hosted in Australia somewhere

So your transit bill will still be hefty enough even with access to INEX's peering lan.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm pretty sure that almost all broadband company's in Ireland with a cap calculate usage in both download and upload. Simple reality is if your uploading and downloading huge files as you say you probably should of looked into a business style broadband package, Its a little late now whining about it if you didn't read the fine print.

You might be correct, however the ISP needs to make this clear.
    NTL state in their T&C's that your "download limit" is x amount of GB but yet when they notify people for overuse the include upload and download in their total figure.

Hardly fair? :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

CiaranC wrote:
    Granted, not everyone uses broadband like I do. It just seems...such a waste :D

Thats the thing, not everyone uses Broadband the same.
    I use mine for everything from bittorrent to VoIP (which I run my home phone over) to gaming and yes I do alot of usage.

But if I got Broadband for my parents who'd use it for general web access and VoIP then I'd be happy getting them a package with a 6GB limit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

And yes I've heard of other ISP's a wireless one that wasn't IBB ? who just put the biggest leechers on the same pipe so they contend with each other.
    I remember Netsource (now part of Magnet) did this. Not very nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i think what people complaining about caps are trying to say is that it's there to be used, not to sit on it doing a bit of idle surfing and checking your hotmail.

there are a very large amount of things to be doing on the internet which (over the course of a month) when done reguarly will eat just about any cap from any ISP in Ireland.

until people start using broadband the way it's meant to be used (i.e. not just like faster dialup) nothing will change and less will be possible, and every time someone pushing the limits complains about the way things still are, some guy in a suit from eircom will harp on about 'low uptake' of broadband and that what they are giving is all that is needed.

people like YOU are holding back broadband in Ireland by not using it to it's full extent and the people who are trying to get the most out of it are being made out to be the bad guys. if it wasn't for contant pushing by ireland offline and other groups of dedicated users and lobbists trying to improve the services available we'd all still be lunkcy to have 512kbps whilst the rest of europe is starting to roll out 100mbps services.

vibe666 wrote:
    until people start using broadband the way it's meant to be used (i.e. not just like faster dialup) nothing will change and less will be possible, and every time someone pushing the limits complains som guy in a suit from eircom will harp on about 'low uptake' of broadband and that what they are giving is all that is needed. people like YOU are holding back broadband in Ireland by not using it to it's full extent.

Do explain the logic of this.

vibe666 wrote:
    there are a very large amount of things to be doing on the internet which (over the course of a month) when done reguarly will eat just about any cap from any ISP in Ireland.

Rubbish.

We have 3 100% regular users and up to 6 users in the house. We could not survive without broadband. However we rarely use more than 1/2 our cap. (15G out of 30G).

We use eBay extensively, serious research by 3 people (not Wikipedia lookups, but real research), email, skype to family members often most of the evening, Linux ISO downloads, WinXP updates, Google Earth and many other stuff.

We use satellite for TV (better than Internet will ever be with any number of simultanous channels, up to 7 different simulatanous currently). We download CDs and DVDs from shops & online mailorder as you get best quality legal copies (Music, Video Games). Even the legal music downloads are rubbish quality. We have all our CDs on our server.

Also I access the home server content etc remotely via the broadband when away and use the office server content remotely via VPN when at home.

The issue is not "people using up their cap" or using internet properly. The issue is either access or affordable access.

I'm experimenting with real time re-encoding of remote controlled HF radio and Satellite using 8k to 64k audio and 100k to 300k video for remote access when away to my own content. Someday I'll put all my video on the server at 100% quality. Not to share illegally but for my own use, with full bandwidth at home and dynamically configurable bandwidth away from home.

90% of people in Ireland do not even have 512k. A significant number can't even get 33k. There is still no economically priced flat rate 24x7 untimed internet dialup for those that can't get BB. Enforcing that might focus some minds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

watty wrote:
    Rubbish.

We have 3 100% regular users and up to 6 users in the house. We could not survive without broadband. However we rarely use more than 1/2 our cap. (15G out of 30G).

We use eBay extensively, serious research by 3 people (not Wikipedia lookups, but real research), email, skype to family members often most of the evening, Linux ISO downloads, WinXP updates, Google Earth and many other stuff.

We use satellite for TV (better than Internet will ever be with any number of simultanous channels, up to 7 different simulatanous currently). We download CDs and DVDs from shops & online mailorder as you get best quality legal copies (Music, Video Games). Even the legal music downloads are rubbish quality. We have all our CDs on our server.

Also I access the home server content etc remotely via the broadband when away and use the office server content remotely via VPN when at home.

The issue is not "people using up their cap" or using internet properly. The issue is either access or affordable access.

I'm experimenting with real time re-encoding of remote controlled HF radio and Satellite using 8k to 64k audio and 100k to 300k video for remote access when away to my own content. Someday I'll put all my video on the server at 100% quality. Not to share illegally but for my own use, with full bandwidth at home and dynamically configurable bandwidth away from home.

I imagine people who use Youtube and download demo's/movies/games from Xbox Live a lot could hit their limits if they weren't being careful.

Advertisement