Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train station in Letterkenny?

Options
  • 07-03-2007 12:30pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is there one? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Afraid not xzanti. The powers that be decided a long time ago that Donegal could do without railways. :mad: The nearest in the Republic is Sligo (approx 110km) and in the North, Derry (approx. 35km).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Thanks Smashey :) ...

Great infrastructure in place there.. :rolleyes: looks like its the bus for me...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I travelled on the Bus eireann dublin - Letterkenny service last weekendand was very impressed with it. I couldn't believe how quickly it got out of Dublin via the port tunnel. the coach was very comfortable and I managed to catch up on some reading on the laptop. I'm thinking of using it more often instead of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

As a Donegal person I have to ask, whats a train?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Carrickman wrote:
    As a Donegal person I have to ask, whats a train?

its a choo choo

• Advertisement

I travelled on the Bus eireann dublin - Letterkenny service last weekendand was very impressed with it. I couldn't believe how quickly it got out of Dublin via the port tunnel. the coach was very comfortable and I managed to catch up on some reading on the laptop. I'm thinking of using it more often instead of the car.

Thanks for that :) .. Can I ask how much was the fare? also how long was the journey roughly?

It is around €25 for a return ticket. The journey takes approx three and a half hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,231 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

3 and a half??? Is that all?

I remember sitting on that bus for 5 hrs to LK, and a further 2 then to get home!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

smashey wrote:
    The journey takes approx three and a half hours.
    More like 4 hours 15 mins on average in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭adamcp

Yeah the bus journy from Dublin -lk is all dependant on the time of day you leave, you don't wanna be in a bus at rush hour in Castleblaney

More like 4 hours 15 mins on average in my experience.

My mistake. :D That was to Lifford. So allow four hours to get to Letterkenny.
    retalivity 3 and a half??? Is that all?

I remember sitting on that bus for 5 hrs to LK, and a further 2 then to get home!!!

Jaysus. How long ago was that?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I recall sitting in the express bus with an umbrella up to avoid the water that was leaking from the rooflight. That wasn't today or yesterday but it was in a time when it took about 4 hours + from Dublin to Lifford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 JosephQ

There was a rail line once it went from Letterkenny to Dunloe. You can see some of the old stuctures like just outside creeslough where the train crossed over the road:)

Donegal had quite an extensive rail network once. Sadly, pot-holed roads are the way to go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

adamcp wrote:
    Yeah the bus journy from Dublin -lk is all dependant on the time of day you leave, you don't wanna be in a bus at rush hour in Castleblaney

Seemingly not so true anymore. The Bus I used used the Port tunnel and as out of dublin in no time. I found the journey not that much longer than driving by car with the exception of having to acutally get to Busaras.

muffler wrote:
    That wasn't today or yesterday but it was in a time when it took about 4 hours + from Dublin to Lifford
    As far as I can remember, it was faster years ago. There was less traffic and less stops.

I don't understand that nonsense in Busáras with the Letterkenny route. Sometimes they have to put on 3 or 4 buses but why don't they insist that people board according to their final destination. Those that are going all the way should be allowed to board first, then those going to Lifford, Omagh, Monaghan etc.

It's ridiculous that some passengers on the first bus are only going to Ashbourne or Slane. Surely there is a market for a 'real' express to Letterkenny at peak times which could avail of the by-passes and get there in 3.5 hours.

As far as I can remember, it was faster years ago. There was less traffic and less stops.

I don't understand that nonsense in Busáras with the Letterkenny route. Sometimes they have to put on 3 or 4 buses but why don't they insist that people board according to their final destination. Those that are going all the way should be allowed to board first, then those going to Lifford, Omagh, Monaghan etc.

It's ridiculous that some passengers on the first bus are only going to Ashbourne or Slane. Surely there is a market for a 'real' express to Letterkenny at peak times which could avail of the by-passes and get there in 3.5 hours.
    Buses from yesteryear weren't really that fast compared to nowadays. I take your point about less traffic in the past but with faster buses and nearly all the towns being bypassed has led to a much shorter journey time.

I would agree fully with your comments about filtering the passengers based on destinations

muffler wrote:
    Buses from yesteryear weren't really that fast compared to nowadays
    They are still legally limited to a maximum speed of 80kph regardless of how 'fast' they are.
    muffler wrote:
    all the towns being bypassed has led to a much shorter journey time.
    But the buses have to go into the towns and therefore don't really benefit from the by-passes (apart from the advantage of less traffic in those towns).

guys, what has this got to do with a train station ini letterkenny

• Advertisement

nanook wrote:
    What train station? :D

nanook wrote:
    Quite a lot actually ;)

As there is no train station in Letterkenny we have to discuss the nearest alternative which is a bus. The buses arrive and depart from the the station - once a train station but now a bus station.

But you are right nanook. This has wandered OT a bit so unless someone has something else to say about the train station I'll lock it tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Hopefully the West on Track programme will allow an extension from Sligo to Letterkenny and even Derry. It would be great!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Would agree. A link between Sligo and Derry via maybe Donegal Town, Twin Towns and Letterkenny would be a good idea.

Dunno how much such a procedure would cost though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Is there an existing Track there? That would make all the difference!

byte

Nah, I think the tracks are now long gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

byte wrote:
    Would agree. A link between Sligo and Derry via maybe Donegal Town, Twin Towns and Letterkenny would be a good idea.

Dunno how much such a procedure would cost though.

Worst idea I've ever heard
    See here for how our rail infrastructure should be done
    http://www.platform11.org/campaigns/wrc/

was there not a thread running a while back in relation to a train line from donegal to sligo.
    Did it not run through the barnesmore gap.

byte

Is micmclo's link working for anyone else. I'm getting a Connection Reset error.

There was indeed a thread last year or so on the subject.

• Advertisement

byte wrote:
    Is micmclo's link working for anyone else. I'm getting a Connection Reset error.
    It was working last night for me but its gone now. Im not surprised as it was a link to a group opposed to opening up the line from somewhere or other to somewhere esle - I only had a quick glance at it.

Advertisement