Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC World - Cover Plan Insurance - WHAT A JOKE!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,797 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

dingding wrote:
    Latest update, Cover Plan have discovered that the courier lost the laptop, even though the laptop was not fixed within the six weeks. Will not process replacing the laptop till the courier who lost it pays them for the loss.

Going on 10 weeks now, I have raised the issue with the manager of the currys store where i purchased the laptop and cover.

I am thinking of taking the shop, as they are ultimatly responsible to the small claims court to recover the cost of the laptop. Would anyone have an opinion as to whether this course of action would be successfull.

I get the feeling that they work on the basis that they make things so hard that you give up.

Any advice or other peoples experience welcome.

I think this is a matter for coverplan. The shop are not responsible for the insurance policy. The law around insurance policies and goods are different.

It may be worth talking to the financial ombudsman, who deal with insurance claims.

Whatever option you decide to take, be sure to get a complaint, make sure to get something in writing saying you are unhappy, right away.

This business about waiting for the courier to pay is a load of rubbish. The fact that their courier has cashflow problems is not your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Got this sorted eventually. An email to their complaints dept and a call to the store and I got a result. Thanks for all the advice here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Metacortex wrote:
    Personally i work in customer service and i have no inclination to help anyone who is going to give me a hard time over something thats not my fault.

If I was your boss I would fire you. You are not helping the issue, your making it worse and making a mockery of what "Customer service" is. So it isn't your problem. So what? Does that magically make the issue go away for the customer because it is not your problem?

You are also damaging your own companies long term business. An upset customer is more likely to tell around 10 people that your service is bad, a pissed off customer tells everyone.

If it ever gets to a point where a customer has to seek legal or 3rd party action to address an issue then your company shouldn't be in business (and probably won't be for long).

Although what you describe is pretty much how most customer support goes on in Ireland. Like they don't give a toss about the customer.

What you should be doing is addressing the customers issue. Yes they are annoyed, agree with them on this (you don't have to agree with their main issue) and then tell them how you plan to make it right for them. You don't even have to promise them their machine back only that you personally will look after the issue even if you have to hand that issue off to someone else, the mere fact of saying this makes the customer feel like someone gives a toss about them.

Back to the OP, reading most of that sounds like the company is just making excuses rather then actually helping you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

you poor thing,

I was in a similar situation a while ago,it was frustrating and soul destroying.

My laptop stopped working,wouldn't boot etc so brought it back but it needed to be sent off etc so I requested that I could keep the hd soo a couple of weeks later they got back to me and said no problem and all and it would not effect the warranty,a few weeks later I went ot the shop in Blanch where it was purchased asked for the manager I had dealt with previously and was told by a rude man she doesn't work here anymore so it doesn't count,
    I made the decision there to just count my losses and send it back with the hd,heard nothing for ages and was aware there was a clause on the insurance stating if it can not be repaired in the given time then they will replace it,all in all it took be about 5 months from the 2nd time sending it off to get my "refund" which was naturally pc world vouchers:( but at least I had finally got something out of them,they also give you coverplan vouchers to the value of your remianing contract(how usefuil)
    Due to being told in one of the shops that I could only bring it back to the shop that I bought it from I kept gonig back to Blanch,where there were 2 really nice helpfuil sales assistants who went out of there way to be nice and a manager who was one of the rudest most arrogant ignorant men I have ever come across.
    As you can prob understand I really didn't want to deal with them again for anything and spending my vouchers there was not somehting I was going to do in a hurry!

Hobbes wrote:
    If I was your boss I would fire you. You are not helping the issue, your making it worse and making a mockery of what "Customer service" is. So it isn't your problem. So what? Does that magically make the issue go away for the customer because it is not your problem?

You are also damaging your own companies long term business. An upset customer is more likely to tell around 10 people that your service is bad, a pissed off customer tells everyone.

If it ever gets to a point where a customer has to seek legal or 3rd party action to address an issue then your company shouldn't be in business (and probably won't be for long).

Although what you describe is pretty much how most customer support goes on in Ireland. Like they don't give a toss about the customer.

What you should be doing is addressing the customers issue. Yes they are annoyed, agree with them on this (you don't have to agree with their main issue) and then tell them how you plan to make it right for them. You don't even have to promise them their machine back only that you personally will look after the issue even if you have to hand that issue off to someone else, the mere fact of saying this makes the customer feel like someone gives a toss about them.

Back to the OP, reading most of that sounds like the company is just making excuses rather then actually helping you.

Exactly how I feel about this, bad customer service does not do the company any good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 sunnyd

I got a laptop in PC World just before xmas and i got the insurance cover for it for 3yrs. At the start of April the something to do with the hardware broke so i brought it into the store. same thing happened they said i had to ring the company myself when i got home and they'd arrange for a coriour to collect it. As i had an assignment due a few days later and had it half completed on the laptop i was totally dissatisfied that id have to bring it home wait for a courier etc... I couldnt wait that long!!!! So i asked to speak to the manager. I was told he/she was on holidays so i got the assistant manager. He was so polite and helpful. He got one of the technicians in the store to get all the files off the laptop onto a free/complimentary usb stick. He then took me into his office and he called the company himself and it was arranged to be picked up the next morning, he said if i had any problems to get back to him and gave me his number.
    So i sat in the next morning and no sign of the bloody couriers i waited until after lunch in case they were just delayed but still no sign so i called him and he said he'd try to sort it out for me. He rang me back within ten mins said he was extremley sorry about the delay but there was a minor mix up and that it would be def picked up the next morning. I sat in the next morning and they came about 10 o'clock... I was told i would have it back within 10 working days and i had it in only 5.
    So i dont know if i was just lucky or if you guys were just unlucky.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

sunnyd wrote:
    I got a laptop in PC World just before xmas and i got the insurance cover for it for 3yrs. At the start of April the something to do with the hardware broke so i brought it into the store. same thing happened they said i had to ring the company myself when i got home and they'd arrange for a coriour to collect it. As i had an assignment due a few days later and had it half completed on the laptop i was totally dissatisfied that id have to bring it home wait for a courier etc... I couldnt wait that long!!!! So i asked to speak to the manager. I was told he/she was on holidays so i got the assistant manager. He was so polite and helpful. He got one of the technicians in the store to get all the files off the laptop onto a free/complimentary usb stick. He then took me into his office and he called the company himself and it was arranged to be picked up the next morning, he said if i had any problems to get back to him and gave me his number.
    So i sat in the next morning and no sign of the bloody couriers i waited until after lunch in case they were just delayed but still no sign so i called him and he said he'd try to sort it out for me. He rang me back within ten mins said he was extremley sorry about the delay but there was a minor mix up and that it would be def picked up the next morning. I sat in the next morning and they came about 10 o'clock... I was told i would have it back within 10 working days and i had it in only 5.
    So i dont know if i was just lucky or if you guys were just unlucky.......

A mixture of lucky and being polite. OP this is not directed at you.. but if you keep a cool head the majority of customer service workers will be more then happy to help you the best they can. Unfortunetly there are the boll!x's that some customers get stuck with. Personally I work in customer service and deal with customers all day long. I never be rude, I am polite and very helping. I do more then what I should in my job to help customers and the majority of my customers leave happy. In saying that, If I get a customer that from the start treats me like a boll!x in return unfortunetly I won't be so offering and helpful. We aren't there to be abused. If customers tend to be rude, it gets them no where and its quite evident in some cases. I'm fed up of rude & arrogant people it gets you no where.

I understand in saying all that, unfortunetly dealing with coverplan they are brutal which will make customers blood boil in return bounce back to customer service workers. I do understand that. Unfortunetly PCW cannot repair laptops in their stores so there for coverplan must be contacted. In some cases the laptop can be booked in through the store and then be sent off / collected from the store but in alot of cases it can take a little longer as it isn't dealing directly with the customer.

My last thing to say is;
    When a customer gets angry, his/her first intention is to rant on about the company and how sh!t it is and tell as much people as possible therefore giving the store a bad name.
    When a customer leaves the store happy thats it. End of, there is no mention of excellent service the customer might have received to anybody. IE nobody recognising good customer service.

I am not saying DSG's customer service is good or the quality of the store in general is great, all I'm saying is the only talk about the store you'll hear is negative.

EDIT: I know I'm going to get some smart arse telling me " Yes, all people do is rant about PCW because there is no such thing as good customer service there " - Well thats false. I work with customers everyday and help them to their satisfactory and see them leave happy. With very few disapointed customers after dealing with customer serice but unfortunetly these few disapointed customers are the only customers we'll hear speak of PCW / DSG and how they were treated. No positive ones.

In relation to issues raised in this thread, Unfortunetly there are the times when things like this go wrong and I agree I would be very very angry at PCW and it is the lowest of low service. Its radicilous waiting 4 weeks for a laptop to be collected let alone to be repaired! I hope you all get your issues resolved as soon as possible!

To clear a few things up raised in this thread I spotted also I wanted to clear up; When you purchase a laptop/desktop it has a standard one year warranty on the machine covering general faults like hardware etc.. At the time of purchase the sales assistant or person on the till may ask you if you would like to take out an extended warranty/guarentee. This is coverplan insurance. It is offered in 3,4 and 5 year policies. It covers general faults, accidental damages and in the first year it covers theft. If you drop your laptop, set it on fire, crack your screen, it doesn't boot, its freezing, overheating or something as simple as virus', it will be repaired under the insurance policy. ( You also receive 1 free healthcheck every year ). This amount for the insurance can be paid all at once at time of purchase of the machine or it can be paid over a 10 month direct-debit policy.

Personally I see the insurance worthwhile on laptops perticularily as they are fragile pieces of equiptment and expensive! I have seen week old laptop costing the guts of 2000euro coming back a week later with cracks on the screen, been dropped and all sorts with no insurance; To see these people break down into tears it would made you think twice. Yes ok, alot of the time coverplan can be a joke but then again the majority of cases systems will be fixed quickly and promptly without any issues.

Just my bit'

Hj

Hungry Joe,

I would agree with you that the cases that are well handled don't end up in boards like this. The staff in the Galway and Sligo stores were ultimatly key in solving my problems. The cover plan staff were probably very limited in what they were allowed to do to solve the problem. I think at the time when I purchased the laptop this insurance was valuable because of the purchase price. For most of the laptops in the 600 - 700 euro band they are probably to be considered as disposable and not worth getting insured.

Had another experience with Three when I was trying to get my number ported, 8 calls and each time told it would be done in 24 hours, meant you had to wait 24 hours to find they could not port the number etc...

I good agent would have solved the prolem the first time. so they have a huge staff who answer the phone quickly, are very pleasent, but at the end of the day can't solve the problems.

Hungry joe, hope I get you the next time I call a customer support desk.

And take pride in a job well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

dingding wrote:
    Hungry Joe,

I would agree with you that the cases that are well handled don't end up in boards like this. The staff in the Galway and Sligo stores were ultimatly key in solving my problems. The cover plan staff were probably very limited in what they were allowed to do to solve the problem. I think at the time when I purchased the laptop this insurance was valuable because of the purchase price. For most of the laptops in the 600 - 700 euro band they are probably to be considered as disposable and not worth getting insured.

Had another experience with Three when I was trying to get my number ported, 8 calls and each time told it would be done in 24 hours, meant you had to wait 24 hours to find they could not port the number etc...

I good agent would have solved the prolem the first time. so they have a huge staff who answer the phone quickly, are very pleasent, but at the end of the day can't solve the problems.

Just my point being, sometimes it would be nice to receive gratification for a job well done and im sure many people who work as a customer service representative would feel the same. There are few customers who do thank and tell you how much they appreciated the help and sincerely mean it but not many.

Hungry joe, hope I get you the next time I call a customer support desk.

And take pride in a job well done.

Thanks,

Although I do not work in a call center I work instore. So I spend my time speaking directly to customers & dealing with there issues instore and resolve many issues there and then leaving customers feeling happy.

Hj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Metacortex

Hobbes wrote:

Hobbes, i work in customer service because i genuinely like helping people and usually do go out of my way to do so.

Its only when i have a customer who just will not listen to me when im providing them with a solution/s and constantly calls me every name under the sun, that i get frustrated, i know its not personal but it does wear you down after a while.

I say this with a soft tone and no ire because i KNOW i don't deserve to be fired because i always do my best.

In fairness, most of the time our hands are just tied by company policy.

Once, i was called up by my manager. Why?
    I gave a full refund to a customer, i helped someone and did my job and got a written warning.

When i said i had no inclination to help people who abuse me, i meant it. But, i still help them, its what i get paid for every month. I've never once put down the phone on someone and then deleted or thrown away their details, i still do the work.

Sorry to interrupt the thread again, i just wanted to clear up a few things because i do my best to try and help people. Its just stressful when you're being ****ed out it 30 times a day. And just to clarify, i do understand where customers are coming from 95% of the time (im a customer myself!) but again, from personal experience, these problems are mostly down to the particular companies policies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Back when I worked in tech support, if a customer gave me abuse or shouted at me, i'd give them one warning to quit it or i'd cut them off. People who think they can get results by shouting at and abusing staff have no right to be acknowledged.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

eth0_ wrote:
    Back when I worked in tech support, if a customer gave me abuse or shouted at me, i'd give them one warning to quit it or i'd cut them off. People who think they can get results by shouting at and abusing staff have no right to be acknowledged.

Depending on the position, I'd agree with this, three warnings and their disconnected from the call is pretty normal in a call center environment from what I understand.

Again each situation should be judged correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Countryripple

Hi guys,

Another problem with coverplan. Well for the first problem in my original post the laptop was eventually collected and hd replaced. The computer was significantly slower after this!!!

Anyway. In recent weeks. Had minor accident which resulted in the screen cracking. Under the plan its covered for accidental damage so no biggie. Rang them, had it booked in on the 25th of july. It was collected on the 5th of august and only returned today, 25th of september. We phoned them last week to see what the story was and they said it was waiting for parts. At this stage it has been over 8 weeks since the laptop was booked in. Turned it on when it arrived today, and the screen is just blank. The power is all on and everything and if you tilt the screen you can make out some text but only just.

Rang the place and girl said there are no technicians available at this time to talk us through and she will get someone to ohone back by 3pm tomorrow.

Basically, what we want to know now is, can we just say to them we waited 8 weeks for it to be repaired. It has not come back repaired and now want to claim our vouchers? Has anyone had a similar incident? I just have a feeling that they are gonna say 'it has to be booked in again'. This would be a right pain!! We are already thinking of taking them to the small claims for the internet bills that we have got from our server for the time they took to fix it!

Any help greatly apreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Basically, what we want to know now is, can we just say to them we waited 8 weeks for it to be repaired. It has not come back repaired and now want to claim our vouchers? Has anyone had a similar incident? I just have a feeling that they are gonna say 'it has to be booked in again'. This would be a right pain!! We are already thinking of taking them to the small claims for the internet bills that we have got from our server for the time they took to fix it!

Any help greatly apreciated!!
    Most companies will say in their warranty that they must be given a chance to fix the problem. This usually means at least three times of the same problem.

I didn't read the entire thread, but I'd like to know what you mean by the bit I bolded in your post, if possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

I used to work as a salesman in the blanch PC world, customer complaints were dealt with by pointing swiftly to the customer service desk(which was always swamped by 3 or 4 angry looking folk).

I'm not familiar with the complaints procedures in there anymore but I can tell you that the manager in there these days is not big on manners. Had to deal with him myself once or twice about a crippled printer, got a replacement but only after much guffawing on his part.

I agree that its not the service reps fault that products fail or that the beaurocratic nature of the business intentionally slows down the process in the hopes that the customer will just give up but I do think CSR's are the front line of a business and should have thick skin when it comes to taking abuse(sorry for the long sentance).

Sales people in store in pc world will never help you by the by unless they sold you the product, and even then only begrudgingly. As there is alot of competition for commission, when your tied down helping someone(even if you want to) your loosing money. Just the way it is.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Have a good look through your coverplan contract.
    There should be a clause in there that if the laptop is not fixed within a certain time frame you are entitled to the vouchers/replacement.
    I think it's 4 weeks - this worked for me before with a problem lappy I had.
    They actually sent out the vouchers twice :) I didn't complain

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Countryripple

There is no bolded bit in my post?

It seems a bit stupid if it took them 8 weeks to repair and it comes back not repaired and I have to give them another 2 chances to get it sorted? Judging by the average length of time they have left me waiting on repairs if i was to give them another chance with a waiting time of 8 weeks, that would total 4 months, 1/3 of the year, waiting!!

On another note. Has anyone gone ahead with the small claims court on any of the matters discussed?

On another note. Has anyone gone ahead with the small claims court on any of the matters discussed?

I treathned it, with a week to solve the problem, this was the catyst necessary to solve the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 RichieP

I have had numberous issues with pc world. They are overpriced and their after sales service is a joke. They are grand when you are going in to buy something, promising that you will get no end of service if what you happen to buy is faulty(if it happens within 12months) and even promising that, for a few hundred more they will give you a brand new pc if you happen to, say, throw it out the window in a couple of years or so. (slight exaggeration but it's not far off what they say.)

Can't blame this guy for getting wound up. I bought a pc there and wanted to upgrade the ram shortly after. They said I would have to book it in two weeks in advance and it would cost 25euros. I looked up how to do it on the net and it involved undoing one screw and slotting it in. He would have it done in the time he stood there talking to me.

Bought another pc and discovered that the disc drive was faulty after the 28day period. Again, told it would be two weeks before they would look at it and even then they may have to send it two a courier which would take several more weeks. A brand new laptop and I have to be without it for at least 4weeks when I NEED it. What an absolute joke.

BEWARE: DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM PC WORLD. You would get a better laptop online, with better specs, and cheaper from say someone like Dell. Also, you can return ANYTHING you buy online within 7 days if you decide you don't like it. As for customer service, it can't be worse than pc world and they still promise to repair it within a year if it goes wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 onetwo

Hobbes wrote: »

No it's not my problem. And I empathise with yours. But if you don't act like a civil human being, my empathy goes out the window, and you get exactly what you deserve

Don't like it? Don't really care

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

The other half bought a laptop from PC World 3 years ago. He paid an extra E500 for their Premium Coverplan Insurance for 5 years. About 6 weeks ago he turns on the computer, it wont run. Basicly, it needs a new hard-drive.

never do this again

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Please do not resurrect 3 year old threads

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement