Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting Wireless PCI card on PC to router

Options
  • 07-03-2007 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I connected a new Netgear wireless network card to a home pc downstairs,. i entered WEP key to connect to router. It gives my a strong signal . When i hit internet explorer, it wont let me out over the web.
    Do i need to set an IP address on the PC to match router, i thought the router would handle all that?. Any thooughts on what the problem might be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

Check your network settings

Go to Start - Settings - Network and Dialup Connections (Can also be found in Control Panel)

You will see an entry for your Wireless Local Area Connection, right click and go to Properties.

You will see a list of components, highlight TCP/IP and click properties.

Make sure Obtain IP address automatically and Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically are checked.

Click OK and OK to close dialog boxes.

Try restarting the PC if that doesn't make a difference.

Is there a firewall on the PC? If so try disabling it and see if it makes a difference.

You can check if the PC is being assigned an IP address as follows.

go to Start - Run
    Type CMD in the box. A black Dos window should open

type ipconfig /all and press Enter
    You will see the IP address etc of the pc in the window.

What brand router are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

ST wrote:
    Check your network settings

Go to Start - Settings - Network and Dialup Connections (Can also be found in Control Panel)

You will see an entry for your Wireless Local Area Connection, right click and go to Properties.

You will see a list of components, highlight TCP/IP and click properties.

Make sure Obtain IP address automatically and Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically are checked.

Click OK and OK to close dialog boxes.

Try restarting the PC if that doesn't make a difference.

Is there a firewall on the PC? If so try disabling it and see if it makes a difference.

You can check if the PC is being assigned an IP address as follows.

go to Start - Run
    Type CMD in the box. A black Dos window should open

type ipconfig /all and press Enter
    You will see the IP address etc of the pc in the window.

What brand router are you using?

Hi ST, the router is the netopia eircom wireless router, its a new shaped one with 2 aerials on it. I have the old one myself. The downstairs PC is windows 2000, i assume thats not the problem. Yes there was an IP address defined. i did an IPCONFIG. It looks to me like its not connecting to router correctly.

Have you tried turning off the Encryption in the Router?

Is there a network socket on the pc? If so can you connect the PC to the router with a network cable and then can you connect to the net?

Does the wireless utility tell you that you are connected to the router, and is there an option in the router to see what wireless clients are connected?

ST wrote:
    Have you tried turning off the Encryption in the Router?

Is there a network socket on the pc? If so can you connect the PC to the router with a network cable and then can you connect to the net?

Does the wireless utility tell you that you are connected to the router, and is there an option in the router to see what wireless clients are connected?

It doesnt suit really for a network cable, as its far away, its a second PC for web browsing only downstairs for inlaws. Ill check all above on router. It must be something relating to the communication between router and PC.
    thanks for help.

Can you open the Router Configuration page from the downstairs PC over the Wireless connection?

Could you even connect with a cable temporarily (bring router downstairs or PC upstairs) just to check if it works.

• Advertisement

ST wrote:
    Can you open the Router Configuration page from the downstairs PC over the Wireless connection?

Could you even connect with a cable temporarily (bring router downstairs or PC upstairs) just to check if it works.

Hi ST. I checked there can i get to router webpage 192.168.1.254
    No good. Its a strange one. the Netgear wireless card has software that lets me enter the wep key. When i check status on network propertys I notice that its sending packets but not receving any. what i might do next is check the connection via my laptop, I know it will work fine using cable as its connected up stairs via cable.

Try disabling the encryption in the router, see if you can connect without any encryption.

Is there a firewall on the PC downstairs? Try switching it off temporarily.

See if there is a firmware upgrade available for the router or updated drivers for the wireless card.

Is there an option to restrict access by MAC address in the router? You might have to enter the MAC address of the wireless card.

What user privelages are you logged on with downstairs? Try logging on as Administrator.

HAve you tried using a different wireless Channel on the Router in case something is causing interference? AFAIK all eircom units come preconfigured on the same channel.

ST wrote:
    Try disabling the encryption in the router, see if you can connect without any encryption.

Is there a firewall on the PC downstairs? Try switching it off temporarily.

See if there is a firmware upgrade available for the router or updated drivers for the wireless card.

Is there an option to restrict access by MAC address in the router? You might have to enter the MAC address of the wireless card.

What user privelages are you logged on with downstairs? Try logging on as Administrator.

HAve you tried using a different wireless Channel on the Router in case something is causing interference? AFAIK all eircom units come preconfigured on the same channel.

Disabled encryption, on as administrator downstairs, windows 2000. Its picking up the router wiht an 90 percent signal. Ill test this week wiht my Laptop and see can i connect from that.

Advertisement