Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SBS Server shutting down since new mobo

• 07-03-2007 1:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

I have a small business server that had the CPU explode a week ago and had to have the motherboard and cpu replaced but now 7 days after the replacments the server is shutting down because it thinks there is another DC on the network which there isn't. sbscrexe is shutting the server down every 60 minutes.

Errors:
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: SBCore
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 1001
    User: N/A
    Computer: ComputerName
    The server was shut down because it did not comply with the EULA. For more information, contact Microsoft.

Event ID: 1012
    Multiple domain controllers running Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server have been detected in your domain. This computer will shut down in 30 minutes unless you remove all but one of these from the domain.

Event ID: 1012
    Multiple domain controllers running Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server have been detected in your domain. This computer will shut down in 60 minutes unless you remove all but one of these from the domain.

Event ID: 1011
    Multiple domain controllers running Windows Server 2003 for Small Business Server have been detected in your domain. To prevent this computer from shutting down in the future, you must remove all but one of these from the domain.

There is only 1 SBS server on the network, so I'm thinking that because the board and CPU were repalced it sees itself as a new DC. I have tried a fix which stops the sbcore service but its hanging when I try to give permissions in the registry, anyone seen this before and got a fix?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Have a look at the Active Directory Sites and Services console to see if there are more than one server listed.

You may need to do some low-level domain editing. Google for the procedure to remove a permanently dead DC. It's easy enough, but uses the adsiutils interface.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's not seeing itself is it ?

If you are running on the same drives and didn't reinstall then there should be no problem with a ghost.

Do you have any other DC's or did you setup a spare PC to run as a DC while it was down ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Cheers for the responses guys, I think I sorted it.

I thought it was seeing itself as a new DC but wasn't sure how to resolve it I used the Process explorer to suspend the service to stop the shutdown to buy me some time. In the end I did the following:

Register Schmmgmt.dll
    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. Type regsvr32 schmmgmt.dll in the Open box, and then click OK.
    3. Click OK when you receive the message that the operation succeeded.

Transfer the Schema Master Role
    1. Click Start, click Run, type mmc in the Open box, and then click OK.
    2. On the File, menu click Add/Remove Snap-in.
    3. Click Add.
    4. Click Active Directory Schema, click Add, click Close, and then click OK.
    5. In the console tree, right-click Active Directory Schema, and then click Change Domain Controller.
    6. Click Specify Name, type the name of the domain controller that will be the new role holder, and then click OK.
    7. In the console tree, right-click Active Directory Schema, and then click Operations Master.
    8. Click Change.
    9. Click OK to confirm that you want to transfer the role, and then click Close

I just entered the current DC name and it seems fine now. Just thought I'd post this incase someone else has the problem, thanks for the replys.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

irish1 wrote:
    Just thought I'd post this incase someone else has the problem,
    Thanks for that.

Advertisement