Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not Again.......

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Oh for **** sake, I think Kilkenny should just annex Tipp to make up for all the land Waterford and Wexford are trying to steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Don't forget Kilkenny City are looking to extend into Kilkenny County for the very same reasons and as far as the Kilkenny People are concerned that is OK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Its still the same county. What Kilkenny city are doing is extending the borough boundary. Where I live is under the control of the county council although its in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Nightwish wrote:
    Its still the same county. What Kilkenny city are doing is extending the borough boundary. Where I live is under the control of the county council although its in town.

Urban areas should not be split by county boundaries, full stop. New Ross and Waterford should be allowed to expand. And if Carrick-on-Suir and Clonmel want to extend into my own county of Waterford, then they should be allowed to do so.

The worst case of this is in Limerick, where 93,000 people live in a city split across three local authorities (Clare, Limerick County and Limerick City). The official population of the city is 52,000, which makes it look smaller than Galway - not good when Limerick is trying to get inward investment (jobs lost there just today).

If the GAA don't recognise it, fine! In the North, there is no such thing as Armagh, Down, etc. It's Newry & Down, Banbridge, etc. However the GAA goes with the traditional counties, whereas local government follows more modern and sensible boundaries.

Nightwish wrote:

and do you not see the reason Kilkenny City want to extend the boundary is for proper administration and control... Same Reason that Waterford City need to extended their boundary for proper control and administration..

The Kilkenny People can't have it both ways. They either agree the principal of One Administration Body or they don't.

If it's good enough for the Goose it's good enough for the Gander

Afterall it's in the same Country FFS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

mfitzy wrote:

So will this put paid to Kilkenny CIty Expanding into Kilkenny County too?

Bards wrote:
    So will this put paid to Kilkenny CIty Expanding into Kilkenny County too?

It's unclear. I'd imagine that will be a very long drawn out process, but will be facilitated by the probable agreement of the county council.
    In the case of Waterford city it is very difficult to extendwithout the agreement of the local authority i.e. KK county council...

Now what should be done co-operation between the two in future on things like the regional airport, road upgrades, university submission, and all those facilities KK and Waterford need to compete going forward. We are now the poorest region in Ireland, relatively, which is shocking..

mfitzy wrote:
    It's unclear. I'd imagine that will be a very long drawn out process, but will be facilitated by the probable agreement of the county council.
    In the case of Waterford city it is very difficult to extendwithout the agreement of the local authority i.e. KK county council...

Now what should be done co-operation between the two in future on things like the regional airport, road upgrades, university submission, and all those facilities KK and Waterford need to compete going forward. We are now the poorest region in Ireland, relatively, which is shocking..

Totally 100% agree with you... now, if only politicians could see the big picture and stop trying to score points from each other..

What I would like to see is a S.E regional Authority with executive powers filled with Urban and spatial planners, and not local politicians, and county councilors.

If this was the case.. I bet instead of a Regional Shopping centre being built in Ferrybank a third bridge linking that area to the neighbourhood in Ardkeen would have been suggested and built, thus benefiting both neighbourhoods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Hey I'm a qualified spatial planner, but there isnt any jobs for me in the SE region. There is a SE regional assembly but they only promote the area in terms of tourism and business links etc. I would agree that the politics needs to be removed from planning entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kilkennycat2004

Good. So Little joy for the land grabers it would appear.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=2594&ArticleID=2119156

Waterford bid to annex South Kilkenny fails
    ANY hopes harboured by Waterford City of extending into County Kilkenny have been dealt a fatal blow.
    Environment Minister Dick Roche says he is not in favour of the planned annexation of more than 5,000 acres of Kilkenny land by Waterford City Council.
    Speaking to the Kilkenny People, he made it clear that he would not be setting up a boundary commission as requested by Waterford politicians to investigate the merits of the proposed "take-over".
    He said that the commission was not needed because the plan was not wanted.
    Minister Roche disclosed that he had already spoken to the country's county managers as a group and explained to them that the way forward was through co-operation rather than conflict. Limerick is also seeking to expand into Clare at present while New Ross town council said last week that it would like to expand into Kilkenny.
    Minister Roche promised to fund any move to bring a peaceful resolution to the ongoing conflict between Kilkenny and Waterford following the unwanted extension application.
    "I will resource a common planning resource if needs be," he promised.
    Speaking at the opening of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)'s new regional headquarters in the city on Friday, he said it was time for some straight talking on the issue that has dogged local politics for the last 18 months. His comments follow a number of questions about the issue in the Dail by Labour TD for Waterford, Brian O'Shea.
    "There is no point in one local authority trying to steal a march on another," Minister Roche said of Waterford's plans to move into South Kilkenny.
    Any notions that New Ross has of encroaching into Kilkenny have also been well and truly nailed by Minister Roche.
    He said that while he did not want to get into the details of the New Ross case because he is from Wexford, his stance on boundary extensions was the same for every part of the country.
    "It is not the way to go. People on both sides need to sit down and resolve local difficulties in a harmonious way rather then by antagonising each other," he said.
    He also made it clear that he had no intention of taking sides and said this was something he wanted to place on the public record.
    "This is something that has to be resolved by politicians sitting around a table and ironing out their differences," he said.
    Local support
    He was supported in his comments by John McGuinness TD who said that enough money had already been wasted on the boundary extension by Waterford. The TD called for immediate dialogue to begin.
    "This is a message to Waterford that it will not get a slice of Kilkenny and the sooner it realises that, the sooner we can make progress," Deputy McGuinness said.
    A change in government after this summer's general election won't change things; Fine Gael leader Enda Kenny has already made it clear that there will be no boundary extension allowed if he becomes taoiseach.

I think this must be the first time ever I find myself agreeing with both John McGuinness and Dick Roche.
    Obscene the amount of our money both councils had to waste in this debacle on consultants reports. Good to see the issue put to bed. Now lets move on to how best to develop the s east.

And that is a good idea for a S east regional authority with real powers. I gather they have something similiar in some European countries.

Advertisement